Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 02-24-2017, 04:51 PM

Scratching my head after a fit. How can I "beta test" it?

I'm just shy of 6' tall, and in reasonably good riding fitness with good (but not great) flexibility.

My torso is proportionally long compared to my legs.

I was just fitted for a custom frame and the drawings gives me pause. It specifies a 75 degree seat tube angle and a zero-degree post (yielding about 2cm of saddle setback) and a very tall (20cm) head tube.

It's not that I distrust the fitter, but I do think I should beta test this before committing because it's such a departure from the stock 54-56cm road bikes I've ridden.

Is there a way to do this reliably? Should I book an hour on a Guru or Retul?
Old 02-24-2017, 05:34 PM

Use a tape measure to document your CURRENT position using the measure points the custom builder used. Put that sheet of paper aside.

With the fit numbers the custom builder gave you, you should be able to slide things around to approximate the recommended position, on your current bike. It may be necessary to buy a new stem; just buy a cheapo.

It's obvious to me you ARE questioning the builder's numbers and you should. After all, you are the customer. Considering what you're probably paying for this new frame, it might be worth getting one or two more opinions, or finding a fitter with an adjustable bike fixture who can mimic this new frame and let you try it for an hour. For a fee, of course.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:02 PM

That does sound out of the ordinary given what you've said. Was this a true fit or "fit kit" style where you measured limbs and ran it through an equation?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:06 PM

I agree with Peter. Second opinion, even if at a slight cost, is a lot cheaper than an expensive custom frame that doesn't fit. If you can find one that has a Guru system or similar system that allows for all sorts of simulation of heights and adjustments rather than trusting just the tape measure. Just a static measurement of you and comparing against your current setup is one thing but actually pedaling on a bike that is mimicking a new proposed setup reveals a lot more.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:31 AM

This was done on a retul. But as you'd expect, the process was one that involved adjustments, riding atop the retul, further adjustments, etc.

I think I'd need to set up the specs on a retul and just ride it for an hour to see how it felt. But that doesn't take into consideration balance or steering, varied terrain, etc.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:48 AM

Your fitter thinks you have short femurs. Maybe you can get some basic body measurements (provided on many framebuilder's websites) and check out the numbers. I was fitted to a 74.5° STA on a 55 cm frame once. Not out of the question, but 75° with a zero offset post seems like it a lot.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:34 AM
It An't Me Babe

Without seeing your fit & position as you are now, pre-retul, it is hard to know how radical this proposed retul fit really is. A radical change is neither good or bad but depends more on the principles and objectives on what the fit given you was based upon and the appropriateness of those objectives & goals to what you wanted to achieve as the purpose of getting a fitting done.

You say you've got good, not great, flexibility. The frame geometry they suggest you to use is quite the opposite. The way I read the bike geometry the fitter proposed is that you will be positioned very open in the pelvis angle. Gonna be lotsa torso in the wind because going steep in the seattube and high in the headtube is gonna straighten you up relative to the closed hip angle, long n' low posture typical for a racebike.

Mind you, that doesn't mean what is proposed is bad but you ought to be aware if this was what you had in mind when you went into the fit session. 20cm is a lotta headtube. How much toptube, spacers & stem did they propose? If they didn't go very long for both then they have got you sitting upright into the wind.

Have him explain to you what and why he did what he did. Gauge if he knows what he's talking about. Caveat emptor.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Your fitter thinks you have short femurs. Maybe you can get some basic body measurements (provided on many framebuilder's websites) and check out the numbers. I was fitted to a 74.5° STA on a 55 cm frame once. Not out of the question, but 75° with a zero offset post seems like it a lot.
Agree with the above. I'm also just shy of 6ft and have a longer torso and short legs.

Went with a traditional fit and got basically a 56 with a 73.5 STA.

Don't trust a fitting system alone. Double check it with an experience fitter who uses real world experience as well.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:12 PM

Not knocking these fitting systems, just a question. Does these fittings put you where they think you should be on the bike or where you feel the best? The most efficient position may not be comfortable for some folks.