Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 01-07-2017, 03:29 PM

Should I be more fit before I get a fit?

I have only been randomly riding the last 7-8 years...First I blamed being a new dad but my son is 8 now. I have ridden all my life bmx, mountain, road but never got this out of shape. Should I wait until I get into better shape - loose weight and get more limber before I get fit?
Old 01-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartattackride View Post
I have only been randomly riding the last 7-8 years...First I blamed being a new dad but my son is 8 now. I have ridden all my life bmx, mountain, road but never got this out of shape. Should I wait until I get into better shape - loose weight and get more limber before I get fit?
I could make a compelling argument for both yes and no. You say 'randomly' riding. Does that mean 50 miles a year? 500? How about the last couple months?

Also, what kind of fit are you talking about? If you're talking about a $250+ professional fitting with all the bells and whistles, I'd suggest you hold off until you're riding enough to justify it. If you can find someone to get you in the general area for less than $100, it might be worth it, depending on your budget.

Having had a number of fittings and getting different results, my advice is to not blindly trust a position you get from a fitting. Each fitter brings their own ideas, philosophy and tendencies. I have yet to experience the "perfect position" from a fitting.

There is a ton of stuff online that will give you general ranges to get you in the right area for free.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:18 PM

What are you trying to accomplish with a fit?
I know it sounds weird, but are you in pain? Thinking you should be stronger than you are? Worried that your current position would hurt you on a longish ride?

I think some basics in term of position on the bike would be helpful, probably mostly saddle height and reach.

To do a full-blown fit, you're going to have wanted to do develop some fitness and some aerobic capacity that justifies maximizing what you're capable of for a road position. Even then, fit is a process. I haven't had one in about three years and am 25lbs lighter than I was then - I am LONG over do to have a plumb dropped and my power monitored with some different positions.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:43 AM

Good points above. Don't trust fitters -- they do bring their own biases and they very rarely will have the breadth of perspective to capture all the issues that go into your fit. Fitting is more about learning your own body and what it needs in terms of the bike. Self-awareness is the most important tool you can have as a rider.

That said, plan on multiple fits. If you don't trust your own ability to fit yourself, get a fit so you don't create injuries or discomfort that interferes with your efforts to recover your good form. Then get another fit in a month. And another a few months after that. That is, unless you and the people you ride with every day are able to figure out your needs to your satisfaction. That's the preferred approach.

I do suggest that people not lock in things like equipment changes if the real issue is with your own flexibility, muscular imbalances, failure to activate certain muscles, and so on. Getting fit again involves all these issues and more -- just riding won't get most people where they want to be because other issues interfere. And everyone expects a different saddle or a different fit to solve everything. Work on your own performance -- are you flexible enough? Do you have glute inactivation? Are you dealing with impingements in the hips or shoulders? Are you lacking core stability? Many issues that all are part of fitness on the bike. Once you're attacking those, let the bike fit deal with the things you can't change in your own body, but don't try to compensate for matters like flexibility by going off what would otherwise be the right fit for you. That's how so many people end up with truly bizarre custom frames, cockpit setups, tilted saddles, and so on.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:05 PM

All good points to consider. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
I could make a compelling argument for both yes and no. You say 'randomly' riding. Does that mean 50 miles a year? 500? How about the last couple months?
Randomly meaning 2-3 days in a row (mostly SS on fire roads or HIT on a trainer) then 10-30 days off or maybe a 60 mile week then noting for weeks. No more than 700-1000 miles year 8 or so (not including trainer time).

I know the basics of fit and I have never had any prolonged pain that strength, score stability, flexibility did't overcome.

Quote:
What are you trying to accomplish with a fit?
Considering a goal...thinking more serious about why i am considering a fit beyond my knowledge, I have never been off the bike this long and I was wondering I might be setting up for an injury down the line?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:21 AM
Wspinacz

That's not enough "time off" to warrant some kind of fitness regimen before getting your fit dialed in. You're good to go.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing120 View Post
That's not enough "time off" to warrant some kind of fitness regimen before getting your fit dialed in. You're good to go.
That is what I have come to realize. Thx