Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 10-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Warm Weather!

A new for me fit parameter

so I recently found one my dream bikes (last model Salsa La Raza) on the bay and got it... got it to the house, put the parts on it and realized the bars sat a good 2" below any of my other bikes of similar size... I guess I should have looked at the head tube better as the fork had plenty of steerer for the bike (meaning I wouldn't have wanted any more showing).... so I got the idea to measure my 3 bikes that fit well (2 56cm tt, one 54.5ish) from the front axle to the top of the handlebar, they all were pretty much the same.

So I guess my revelation to me is from now on, I will look at tt first and then be sure and get a axle to handlebar measurement.... I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish the same, but I feel this takes out any tire size/etc differences...

anyone else use this measurement?
Old 10-18-2016, 11:36 AM
Princess Sweat

Paying attention to stack and reach helps with this.

Stack: Vertical distance from the center of BB to the top middle point of the head tube.
Reach: Horiz distance from the center of the BB to the top middle point of the head tube.

Unfortunately, it's not always available from the MFG/seller.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Warm Weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
Paying attention to stack and reach helps with this.

Stack: Vertical distance from the center of BB to the top middle point of the head tube.
Reach: Horiz distance from the center of the BB to the top middle point of the head tube.

Unfortunately, it's not always available from the MFG/seller.

I had thought about that... on a used bike, one of the biggest variables I see is how "slammed" the stem is... a stem that is sitting right on top of the headset probably won't work for me in most cases... I think this measurement I mention would take that variable out of the picture...

I also measure from the tip of the saddle to the middle of the bar as well, much like a reach measurement, but is a bit variable with saddle/setback/etc I guess...

Thanks!

Last edited by fourflys; 10-18-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
... measure my 3 bikes that fit well (2 56cm tt, one 54.5ish) from the front axle to the top of the handlebar ...

anyone else use this measurement?
I do this as one of the many measurements in trying to get my position the same on all my bikes. Of course, you'll get slightly different measurements depending on HT angle, fork rake, length of stem, etc. but it's all ball-parkish anyway.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:19 PM

Haha.. amazingly lucky you have been able to go through your cycling career so far without dealing with this.

You must have relatively normal/average proportions for your height. Folks with long legs (tall people) and people with short legs (usually shorter?) have lots of trouble with this fit parameter.. either they can't get the bars anywhere near the height of the saddle (long legs) or they can't get them low enough (short legs).

It's the #1 thing I have to look for.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:00 PM
Warm Weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Haha.. amazingly lucky you have been able to go through your cycling career so far without dealing with this.

You must have relatively normal/average proportions for your height. Folks with long legs (tall people) and people with short legs (usually shorter?) have lots of trouble with this fit parameter.. either they can't get the bars anywhere near the height of the saddle (long legs) or they can't get them low enough (short legs).

It's the #1 thing I have to look for.
probably pretty average size... 5'9" with about a 33" true inseam... took me a while to finally get the conclusion that I need a 56cm top tube, spent a couple years thinking I needed a 54cm... it wasn't until I came to realize that "fistful of seatpost" fit really worked for me that I went to the bigger frame size...
Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 AM

Axle to handlebar

Axle to handlebar does not account for differences in bottom bracket height.
Best way to account drop (or rise) from saddle to bars is to measure saddle to the ground/then bars to the ground- then do the math.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:42 AM
Warm Weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Axle to handlebar does not account for differences in bottom bracket height.
Best way to account drop (or rise) from saddle to bars is to measure saddle to the ground/then bars to the ground- then do the math.
so are you saying I could have a different drop depending on how high or low my bb is, regardless of the fixed seat height? I guess that makes sense...
Old 10-20-2016, 03:04 PM

Well your saddle height relative to the BB would be the same, but it wouldn't be relative to the ground. So the bars to ground (or axle) measurement wouldn't tell you the full story; the bars to BB height (e.g., stack) would.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:14 PM

once the who stack and reach thing really clicks, and how it relates to your position on the bike, you'll have a much easier time determining how a bike will fit you. if S&R numbers are available.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:28 PM

s & r

couldn't agree more about stack and reach. There's not really a better way to establish how a bike will fit independent of brand, geo, etc. Using it on handlebar and saddle can help to duplicate a fit over multiple bikes too (all other things being equal-crankarm, bar reach/drop, etc.)
Old 12-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
I guess that makes sense if the frame manufacturer is looking to publish critical measurements, but I've always heard Stack and Reach referred to as critical fit measurements, and as such they were both referenced to the end of the stem where it intersects the bars.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
... got it to the house, put the parts on it and realized the bars sat a good 2" below any of my other bikes of similar size...
Best way to evaluate this for me is simply:

Bar drop = (saddle height above floor) - (Top of bar at stem above floor)
Old 01-06-2017, 04:06 PM

I just ask for a headtube measurement. I know what works for me, also keep in mind external cups will add ~2cm to that number.