Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 10-15-2016, 10:07 PM

arms pushing/bracing against bars, how do i stop this?

i feel like my arms are pushing against my bars, almost holding the rest of my body in place. theyre not resting on top but instead bracing me against the bars. this leads to some pain.

whats kind of adjustments can I try so Im not bracing myself against the bars? shorter reach? angle saddle upward?
Old 10-16-2016, 06:15 AM

Photos of you on the bike with your hands in the various positions would help.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:04 AM
Princess Sweat

I'd start by checking your saddle placement.

If you're too far forward your body will ask your arms/hands for some help supporting your weight.

Imagine doing a deadlift with the weight placed 24" in front of your feet. It'd be pretty hard to come back up (and not wreck your back) without something to keep you from falling forward.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:50 PM

I"m just guessing given the limited information but it sounds like the saddle could be too high, tilted down, and forward. If the saddle has to be forward in order to reach the bars the reach may be to long as well.

Can you post some photo's of at least the bike?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:08 AM

It can be almost any misplacement of the saddle doing it. Saddle too far down and back can do it too, it can tilt your pelvis back to the point you have to bend your back to reach the bars, then you fatigue your back and can't hold yourself up with your core. The mantra that it always means you're too far forward and high isn't always helpful as it can make someone who is already low and back go even lower or further back. On race bikes with drop you've gotta have enough leg extension so that you don't hit the top of the ROM in your hips or you'll mess up your back and cause your core to give out.

You probably need someone who knows what they're doing to help you with fit. Don't fool around with this as if you keep riding that way you're going to end up injured. It's hard to figure out over the internet.

Last edited by benb; 10-17-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:32 PM

saddle tilt/posture

saddle angle is big-too far nosed down, and gravity is having its way with your upper body. Too nosed up, and you're having to "lunge" with your arms to reach bar/shifter.

You should be in a position so that you can keep your upper body relaxed and arms unlocked slightly at the elbow while on the bike.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:20 AM
Try the veal®

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
You probably need someone who knows what they're doing to help you with fit. Don't fool around with this as if you keep riding that way you're going to end up injured. It's hard to figure out over the internet.
Yep. Good advice.

If you have to be intolerant to get into Heaven, then I'm not sure it's a place I want to go.
— me

®2009 The Elefantino Corp. All rights reserved.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:07 AM

i just find that i need to be more "aware" when I ride. when i zone out I tend to lock my elbows, i notice and just bend them a bit and all is good. I have been fitted and the seat and reach is right just a "tendency".

best
Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Either find your pedals or get a rubber stem.