Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 08-06-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post

That said, the best fitting I've received was by Dr. Ira Schneider . But it wasn't just a fitting. It was addressing some issues I had, assessing my flexibility and then talking to me about my skeletal limitations.

IIRC it was a total of 4 visits (4 adjustments, 1 major fitting, 2 updates to the fitting). Less time, cheaper, better results than others.

YMMV
This sounds like the way to go. IMNSHO, everything else is just a matter of trial and error. I'm sure the comparison to the golf swing has been made a million times. Thing about finding a golf instructor, even if you hire a hack chances are you wont injure yourself with a whack swing. Not always the case with the "bike fit" hustle.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:42 PM
car dodger

Has anyone actually had a fit from Lauren? I'm looking for a fit for my wife primarily, and maybe an update to my own fit from years ago. Between Lauren and Nate it seems.

My last fit was also done by a PT in DC who did a very good job (I think, anyway, since I've been riding based on the same fit for nearly 7 years now with no issues). Especially properly shimmed my cleats to relieve some chronic knee issues I was having.

Last edited by sfhbike; 10-25-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:52 PM

I think his fitting days are mostly done since he's a big time rep now, but Banning Ostrow, formally of Bannings Bikes/East West Bikes, has to be considered at or near the top of the list for SoCal fitters.

I would use Banning over Bike Effect any day, but you'd have to convince him to come out of fit retirement. Find him on Facebook.

PS, I don't think what Steve said about a level and a tape measure is completely wrong. Add in a drop plumb and essentially that was how everyone was fit until a few years ago.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
That said, the best fitting I've received was by Dr. Ira Schneider . But it wasn't just a fitting. It was addressing some issues I had, assessing my flexibility and then talking to me about my skeletal limitations.

Since the goal was to get me back into a racing position I got homework: exercises, miles in the saddle, taking notes on how my position felt as I logged miles.

IIRC it was a total of 4 visits (4 adjustments, 1 major fitting, 2 updates to the fitting). Less time, cheaper, better results than others.

Did he apply an approach where he was fitting you more to a specific bike, or giving you the right numbers to try and achieve on any bike you moved to going forward? Sounds like the latter, but I am interested.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Did he apply an approach where he was fitting you more to a specific bike, or giving you the right numbers to try and achieve on any bike you moved to going forward? Sounds like the latter, but I am interested.
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. The fitting was done on a Cannondale so it was specific to that bike. But the measurements are applicable to all the road bikes I own so I applied them to everything.

I suspect that things would be different if I had been fitted for a TT or DH bike but I don't have those.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. The fitting was done on a Cannondale so it was specific to that bike. But the measurements are applicable to all the road bikes I own so I applied them to everything.

I suspect that things would be different if I had been fitted for a TT or DH bike but I don't have those.
no, that's helpful. I contacted another fitter here and said that I would bring in my Pegoretti, but I wanted numbers I could swap from bike to bike and make them fit, and they looked at me like I was crazy, saying they would fit me specific to that bike...didn't make a ton of sense to me.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
no, that's helpful. I contacted another fitter here and said that I would bring in my Pegoretti, but I wanted numbers I could swap from bike to bike and make them fit, and they looked at me like I was crazy, saying they would fit me specific to that bike...didn't make a ton of sense to me.
That makes no sense! Do the fitting, get a tape measure and a plumb bob and recreate the numbers on any bike frame ( within reason, of course).
Old 10-07-2016, 08:16 PM
TeamTooLate

Steve over at Bike Effect does a solid job.
He's chatty and sometimes it's fun listening to him.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:30 AM

What about Rick Babington? He's a paralympic cycling coach. He does Retul fits in Pasadena
coachrick59@gmail.com
Old 10-24-2016, 05:54 PM
car dodger

Anyone know anything about these guys? http://bikeeffect.com/pages/fit-team

It is one of the "elite" shops in my area (Moots, Mosaic, etc. dealer).

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinbok View Post
Steve over at Bike Effect does a solid job. He's chatty and sometimes it's fun listening to him.
Oops. just saw this. Did you feel good about the fit?
Old 11-18-2016, 06:50 PM

I believe Nate has scaled back fitting in LA since he moved to Santa Barbara and has a newborn; not sure about his future plans.

Among the members of my club I've heard more votes for Steve at Bike Effect but those who have used Lauren gave her high praise.