Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 08-03-2016, 12:29 PM

Saddle height change when changing saddles?

I had been riding the Arione most of this winter/spring... all was mostly well except some saddle <-> skin issues on long rides. Seemed like the Arione was not wide enough and I could get some chafing over bumps, etc.. because my sit bones were not on a level part of the saddle.

I am trying out the current Flites. They are very comfy and definitely solve the issue I had with the Arione. However I am feeling some triceps activation which is turning into tightness and lower back soreness after duplicating the saddle height I had with the Arione. I don't sit the same on the two saddles, I ended up moving the nose of the Flite forward 4mm compared to the Arione. That seemed straight forward. I can still roll my hips forward pretty easily in the current setup (perhaps easier as it's more comfortable) and I'm not really getting much hamstring strain.

But I'm wondering if I need to lower the saddle a bit. The flite is much flatter than the arione when looking at it from the rear, I am wondering if I'm sitting a bit higher on it.

I realize I could go pay for a fit and get the knee angles checked or something but I was hoping I could just figure this out myself, I've been fit an awful lot, this is a small change if anything is needed.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:27 PM
extremely tall

Focus group of one: Yes, you may need to lower it. I changed from a lifetime of Turbo saddle use to the (much flatter) Specialized Chicane this spring and came down almost a full CM. The Chicane supports my sit bones, while on the Turbos there was a lot more taint pressure but my sit bones straddled the saddle rather than resting on it. So measuring to the highest point on the saddle (the center, in a straight line up from the BB) was not an effective way to measure the height as I actually sit on the saddle.

YMMV, etc. but no reason not to think a flatter saddle may need to be lowered slightly.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:32 AM

Another thing to consider is core strength. I know: everyone says that, but I've recently started a general strength program and find improved core strength makes a huge difference. If your triceps are feeling more activated, it might be a core weakness issue in part.

Planks are great and easy to do at home. 3 x 30 secs. e.g. Ab crunches, too. If you want to get fancy you can do them on a physio ball, but that's not necessary. The Planks will also strengthen your tris, shoulders, and upper arms, in addition to lower back.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:48 AM

It's not at all unusual to have to change overall saddle height slightly when changing saddles. Just a couple degrees of difference in hip rotation can translate into 3-5 mm of saddle height difference. And there's no magic point on a saddle at which to measure saddle height, nor is the point the same after you have body weight on it. Do what works for you.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:58 AM

I ended up getting back on the Arione, going for a fit, and ditching the Flite.

My saddle height (recommended by a fitter) was way off.. right hip was hitting it's ROM at the top of the pedal stroke causing my right sit bone to rock on the saddle. I was interpreting that as the Arione being too narrow when it wasn't. In reality the Flite is probably too wide.

Amazing to get two saddle height recommendations from 2 fitters that were 3cm different. The higher one is starting to seem significantly better after 2 weeks in just about every way. (My hamstrings definitely needed time to adapt though!)
Old 10-05-2016, 03:11 AM

It doesn't really go by your height or weight it goes by the size of your bum, which of course can be related to height and weight but not necessarily. There is no way that you can measure yourself to see if you fit in a saddle. You need to sit in a saddle and when sitting in the correct position you place your hand, with your pinkie closest to your bum and your thumb closest to the cantle. Your bum should be a hands-width away from the edge of the cantle, no more no less. Because of the seat of one type of saddle is made differently from the seat of other types of saddle your seat size will change from saddle to saddle.

The first thing you should look for in a saddle(assuming you aren't trying to fit it to any particular horse) is that you are comfy when sitting in the saddle. The saddle should put you into the correct position. You shouldn't have to fight against the make of the saddle to be in the correct riding position. Once you find a saddle that you like how you fit in it then check to make sure it is the right size by doing the hand thing. Then check to make sure that the saddle flaps fit you.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:13 PM
Rapha LA

saddle height should change once you change the saddle, i've experienced this multiple times.. ha