Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2014, 07:34 PM

Lezyne Floor Pump Issues

I have a Lezyne Classic Floor Drive that had been working problem free for a year. However, recently I have found that the pump no longer works. When you try to pump, no air comes out of the hose. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? Worn o-rings? I emailed Lezyne but haven't received a response yet. I figured I'd ask you guys to hear your thoughts.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Did this happen all of a sudden, or did the pump's efficiency slowly decrease over time?

Edit: is it possible to take it apart?
Old 09-15-2014, 07:47 PM

It happened all of a sudden. It was fine, then I moved to Seattle (flew) with it in one of my suitcases. Then when my bikes got here and I tried to pump the tires, I found out that it didn't work. Maybe an o-ring got knocked out of place?

I can't find any information on how to disassemble the Classic Drive on the Lezyne website, unfortunately.

Last edited by dk2ck; 09-15-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2ck View Post
Maybe an o-ring go knocked out of place?
That's about all I can think of also. Or maybe a torn o-ring.

Most of the time one can figure out how to take stuff apart just by looking at it. (Unless it's assembled in a manner that prevents you from doing that - e.g. bent over flanges, welded joints, permanent rivets, etc.)
Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 PM

Thanks, Louis. I found this resource online for the Dirt Drive: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Lezyne+...lacement/22475

The o-rings on the plunger of my pump look fine. I am struggling to unthread the barrel from the base of the pump, though. I feel like it shouldn't be this difficult to unthread, so maybe the Classic Drive barrels are not removable? (Or I just need to find someone with more upper body strength).

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:56 PM

Is there normal, greater, less resistance when you move the handle down? If it moves very easily there's a leak around the piston or the hose or hose connections. You should be able to hear a hiss at the point of the leak. If you get a lot of resistance when you try to pump it's an obstruction in the hose or its connections. I once thought I had a bad pump but it was a faulty valve in the tube I was trying to inflate.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:58 PM

I hate when companies make it difficult to call them and want to do everything by email. I found this number with some searching - maybe it will work and you can actually talk to someone there who could help you.
1-805-548-8780
Old 09-15-2014, 09:51 PM

I can't offer any advise with your problem but I can share my experience with Lezyne. I had a problem with the pressure gauge on my pump, I called Lezyne and after a short time on hold was connected to a customer rep. He was friendly and willing to help by sending a replacement gauge. Try giving them a call you might get better service.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Hrmm

I've got the same pump but different issue. While pumping a stubborn valve, the O-ring burst out of the crack around the bleed button on the chuck and no longer works.

Emailed them last week and have yet to hear back.

Also want to mention my pump has this play/empty part of the stroke that my friends Lezyne doesn't. Anyone have the same issue?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asudef View Post
I've got the same pump but different issue. While pumping a stubborn valve, the O-ring burst out of the crack around the bleed button on the chuck and no longer works.
Perhaps a silly question, but assuming we're talking Presta, before putting the chuck on do you press the tire valve for a fraction of a second and release some air in order to break it loose manually? I've found that that helps avoid the build-up of high pressure sometimes required to open the valve and allow air into the tire.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:42 PM
Hrmm

I usually do but forgot to this time as I was in a rush swapping tires on my wheels. 4 tires, time crunch, early morning=possibly my bad?

Still stands that they don't respond promptly to customer emails.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:59 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asudef View Post
early morning
I hate early rides and avoid them as much as possible. No good can come from one of those - just tired bodies, tight muscles and stuck valves.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Is there normal, greater, less resistance when you move the handle down? If it moves very easily there's a leak around the piston or the hose or hose connections. You should be able to hear a hiss at the point of the leak. If you get a lot of resistance when you try to pump it's an obstruction in the hose or its connections. I once thought I had a bad pump but it was a faulty valve in the tube I was trying to inflate.
Ken,

There is practically no resistance when I move the handle down. I feel like I hear a leak at the top of the pump (where the handle meets the barrel of the pump). I have managed to unscrew the top thread (as seen in the ifixit link above) and the o-rings look fine. I feel like maybe the o-ring at the bottom was knocked loose so the seal in the barrel isn't air tight, but I really can't get the base to unscrew at all...
Old 09-16-2014, 04:44 AM

Email is one of the best web applications but it is a "best attempt" service without guarantied delivery.

If your email goes unanswered don't immediately blame the intended recipient.

Your email may have never arrived so send a followup or call.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2ck View Post
Ken,

There is practically no resistance when I move the handle down. I feel like I hear a leak at the top of the pump (where the handle meets the barrel of the pump). I have managed to unscrew the top thread (as seen in the ifixit link above) and the o-rings look fine. I feel like maybe the o-ring at the bottom was knocked loose so the seal in the barrel isn't air tight, but I really can't get the base to unscrew at all...
I just had the exact same thing happen on Lezyne Alloy Floor Drive. No resistance and no air to the hose when pumping the handle. I swapped the bottom bump stop o-ring and piston o-ring and all is working now. I think the o-ring on the piston really just needed to be reseated and wasn't sealing correctly. I hope that helps!