New SV OG1 Paint

Old 03-29-2017, 01:23 PM
Veni.Vidi.Bici.

mmmmmm

celery.

love that colour
Old 03-29-2017, 01:30 PM
needs adult supervision

I'd call it celadon. in the 60s and 70s, MB offered it as a color for their cars. It was amazing. And that SV looks great, too.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:33 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
I'd call it celadon. in the 60s and 70s, MB offered it as a color for their cars. It was amazing. And that SV looks great, too.
They also lowered their price about $350 and offered as a frameset, but I did not see a price for that. I emailed and requested.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:37 PM

I think the price drop corresponds to dropping the Dura-Ace/Ultegra mix in favor of straight Ultegra.

RIP lavender. But the new color is sweet, too.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:44 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I think the price drop corresponds to dropping the Dura-Ace/Ultegra mix in favor of straight Ultegra.

RIP lavender. But the new color is sweet, too.
That derailleur definitely looks like DA.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
That derailleur definitely looks like DA.
It does look like DA.

I was basing my assumption off of the verbiage on their website where all mentions of Dura-Ace have been removed. The yellow one pictured on the bottom of the site even has a DA9100 crank. So who knows.

I also noticed they have a link to a bunch of 'next level upgrades.' Doesn't offering a bunch of customization on this bike defeat the purpose of having a ready-made option vs. the regular Speedvagen line?
Old 03-30-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I also noticed they have a link to a bunch of 'next level upgrades.' Doesn't offering a bunch of customization on this bike defeat the purpose of having a ready-made option vs. the regular Speedvagen line?
it's not as customizable as a regular SV. the upgrade options are basically just a couple add-ons that they can buy and paint in bulk, then keep on hand. not so with the regular SV. you make a great point though. and for a "stock" SV (not custom geo, no upgrades) versus OG1, I believe you're really just paying for more intricate paint work. I could very well be wrong though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
I'm above recommended saddle height for a 56. Am I that lanky? I don't feel like I am.
I don't understand why they have that on the geo chart. it has me into 56 territory, but I could never fit one. if you don't know your bike size so badly that you're using saddle height to guess which one you'd fit, you prolly shouldn't be buying a Speedvagen...

did they offer the army green last year? much better than the citron, but I still prefer the lavender.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post

did they offer the army green last year? much better than the citron, but I still prefer the lavender.
Yeah, army green and lavender were last year.

Somebody in one of my networks was offloading an army green 54 for about $4k a few months ago.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I don't understand why they have that on the geo chart. it has me into 56 territory, but I could never fit one. if you don't know your bike size so badly that you're using saddle height to guess which one you'd fit, you prolly shouldn't be buying a Speedvagen...
The ISP with stainless topper is probably the reason why they list it and also why it is a limiting factor in fit for out of spec dudes and gals.

I'm pretty lanky and look at the saddle height for this bike because although I could change reach and such, i can't change ISP recommended length, so props to Speedvagen for putting it up.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:20 AM
Category VI

I mean I ride a 770 saddle height (with a 172.5 crank, or 773ish with 170's) on a 56 with 9cm drop.

I do not think that is SO crazy for a race bike, which these seek to represent?

Old 03-31-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaAndBikes View Post
The ISP with stainless topper is probably the reason why they list it and also why it is a limiting factor in fit for out of spec dudes and gals.

I'm pretty lanky and look at the saddle height for this bike because although I could change reach and such, i can't change ISP recommended length, so props to Speedvagen for putting it up.
yeah I was wondering that after I posted my previous comment. I was originally thinking that they would trim the ISP to your saddle height, which is what they do for custom SV's. but now I'm wondering: do they have the ISP at a set height for these OG1's and then you just adjust the topper within that?

what confuses me there is that each size has a 55mm recommended range of saddle heights. in my experience, ISP toppers usually only have about a 2cm range. they look to be using the Ritchey topper (https://ritcheylogic.com/wcs-1-bolt-mast-topper) which has either 50 or 70mm options. so... maybe they use the 70mm one if you're at the top of the range?
Old 03-31-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
yeah I was wondering that after I posted my previous comment. I was originally thinking that they would trim the ISP to your saddle height, which is what they do for custom SV's. but now I'm wondering: do they have the ISP at a set height for these OG1's and then you just adjust the topper within that?

what confuses me there is that each size has a 55mm recommended range of saddle heights. in my experience, ISP toppers usually only have about a 2cm range. they look to be using the Ritchey topper (https://ritcheylogic.com/wcs-1-bolt-mast-topper) which has either 50 or 70mm options. so... maybe they use the 70mm one if you're at the top of the range?
They cut it
Old 03-31-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
They cut it
then I go back to my original question: why do they state a recommended saddle height in their geo chart? other than just to say "this is the highest we'll build the ISP to for this size"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterha View Post
gonna have to agree with eBAUMANN.

I understand an ISP and stainless steel bits adds to the cost but it can't be an extra ~$1000

Tomii is just at 2k with just the same amount of craftsmanship.
I don't get it either. a custom steel Zank road frameset with powder coat and Enve 2.0 fork (i.e. Zank model most comparable to OG1) is $2300; $1k cheaper. and you get custom sizing.

only standout items SV offers for this are: stainless bits on high-wear areas, ISP + topper, shaped seatstays, "superlight steel" (though they don't say what it is).

they say the seatstays are super hard to make and really contribute to the ride quality. that is what it is, I guess. I don't know who else offers the stainless bits they do. but I'm sure you could get the same steel and an ISP from a custom builder as well, for not a ton over a $2300 base price. once adding those on though, do the stainless bits and shaped seatstays close the rest of the $1k gap?

Last edited by chiasticon; 03-31-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:47 AM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
...once adding those on though, do the stainless bits and shaped seatstays close the rest of the $1k gap?
no, not even close.

any custom builder can do stainless bits if you want em, its not rocket science, its just metal...

honestly, i doubt those stays ride all that differently from any s-bend stuff on the market.
a talented custom builder could likely reproduce the shaping on em as well, if you really wanted a SV clone THAT BAD.
the shaping kris at 44 does on his stays or nate at zukas is equally impressive, IMO.
talk to those guys if you want that ultra-swoopy look.

and yes, ZANK, no question.