Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2014, 09:28 AM

Ah...thanks Bruce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Deerfield Dirt Road Randonee (Ramble?)

BK
Old 08-24-2014, 10:32 AM

I did the 115 this year with a friend. The hill that has defeated me twice before defeated me again - I had to get off and walk up the really long steep dirt hill on this route after my front wheel lost traction and slid out from under me. Big change for me was the gearing - I had a compact crank and a 12-30 cassette which made a huge difference on the uphills and allowed me to clear the big hill right before the art gallery for the first time - I've had to stop on that one before. I also thought the final dirt section on this route was even sketchier than in years past.

My friend's crank fell off, but other than that no mechanicals or flats. Fortunately the crank fell off near the end and we were able to get back to the finish with just the pinch bolts as the cap had fallen off.

A highlight was the free six pack someone I assume from BBC gave us last night - he just showed up out of nowhere around 9:30 or so and donated a six pack to each of the two tables of people still hanging around. It was very nice of him.

This was my fifth time and my fourth time signing up for the 180 and then coming to my senses the week before and changing to either the 100 or 115. Next year will hopefully finally be the year, but man does it sound brutal and kudos to all those who did it.

Here are the only photos I took, which are from this morning:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.2 KB, 390 views)
Old 08-24-2014, 11:42 AM

I missed the event this year. It was perfect weather too. I've done the 180 and 100, but have been intrigued by the 115. It sounds like it is more "off roadish" with the description of the jeep tracks. There are a few of those on the 180 too.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:50 PM

Did the 180, mostly trying to keep up with sandyrs from the forum. (Sandy-was most enjoyable-thanks!)
This was my second. What can I say about this ride? Absolutely spectacular. About the hardest and most beautiful ride of the year for me.
My one mishap was having my cue sheets blow away and my rear deraileur cable slip at the same time (or at least noticing at the same time) within a few feet of the spot where I flatted last year.

The big news for me was my girlfriend doing the 100k by herself. She flatted twice but was not discouraged, and completed the ride. She was on a blue 650b bike (Rawland Stag) with full fenders and handlebar bag. Perhaps some of you that did the 100k saw her, or even helped her out with flat change. If so, thanks!

Last edited by marciero; 08-24-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:30 PM

i saw your wife and complimented her on her bike (650b Rawland). i also saw the bike flipped upside down with a few helpers fixing her flat
Old 08-24-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshogun View Post
i saw your wife and complimented her on her bike (650b Rawland). i also saw the bike flipped upside down with a few helpers fixing her flat
I showed her the pictures you posted, and she recognizes your bike, as well as Brian Chapman and Jim Frain- Thanks to all who offered encouragement!
Old 08-24-2014, 03:20 PM

Was signed up for the 100K for my first D2R2, but with it being shorter this year my friend convinced me to go for the 115k. Didn't quite have all the legs necessary though, will have to train hills more next year. Got up all the climbs before lunch without issue, then got up the long gradual climb after lunch no problem, but then my legs started to go. I took the cue sheet up on it's offer to skip the large hills from mile 52-60 by staying on 112, and picked the route back up before the big Patten Hill climb. Got up the first couple sections but that last super steep part I lost traction and didn't have the legs to get back on so I reluctantly walked it the last chunk of the hill until it leveled out. Finished the remainder without incident. Ended up at about 7000ft of up.

Next year I'll either do the 100k or try to get prepped to do the full 115k. The rocky climbs were my favorite part, pavement climbing sections less so. Had a blast and am excited to conquer it all again next year.

Last edited by druptight; 08-24-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:29 PM
ZhugeLiang

Drup-pal, well done and outstanding pictures!
Old 08-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Administrator

had a great ride this year. took me several miles to really warm up and find my legs, but once i did, felt strong the whole day. i probably could/should have done one of the longer routes, but there is always next year. as Bruce mentioned, we lost each other before the first rest stop, which i blew past anyway, i didnt really need any water in 15 miles.

cant wait for next year. met some awesome people out on the roads and on the grounds. camping is totally the way to go IMO. fun!

pics:

micro-life among macro neighbors:

Bruce and one of his pals:

meal tent:

geekhouse taking a rest.

bikes everywhere.

ah, those quiet roads.

the return

Bruce and I

Last edited by AngryScientist; 08-24-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
Didn't do it. Never have. But I'd like to someday....

Those are the good tires I guess. What pressure? I have a set of the Jets on my own dirt road bike, which would be a great bike for this ride it looks like. I run my at about 65 PSI on the dirt.

Sorry for the distraction. The ride looks like a blast! I'd love to do it but work always interferes.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Didn't do it. Never have. But I'd like to someday....

Those are the good tires I guess. What pressure? I have a set of the Jets on my own dirt road bike, which would be a great bike for this ride it looks like. I run my at about 65 PSI on the dirt.

Sorry for the distraction. The ride looks like a blast! I'd love to do it but work always interferes.
Had 'em at 65psi myself (185lb rider). They seemed good and cushy, no flats. Could have used more grip on some of the steeper/looser hills, especially later in the day when things started drying out a bit more.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:45 PM

Had an incredible day on the back roads of MA and VT. Dragged a few of my boys from home with me this year to share the experience and they are all now converts. We left bright and early and rode the 160k route. The previous days rain had turned many of the roads to an ultra smooth, almost creamy surface. It was a joy to ride these sections.

Took a digger when I overcooked a washboarded corner. Had to choose between the ditch or laying it down. Decided the ditch was to deep, so I ended up leaving a bit of skin mixed in with the gravel. No big deal, but did piss me right off! (see pic) Happily, a cold beer at the finish seems to make everything alright.

This event continues to set the bar for how it should be done. Fantastic chill atmosphere with very little hand holding or coddling, yet totally professionally organized with excellent volunteers. Best part is that it's all for a great cause.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D2R2-113.jpg (108.7 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg D2R2-107.jpg (45.4 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg D2R2-115.jpg (74.7 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg D2R2-104.jpg (90.8 KB, 312 views)
Old 08-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Head to Ned

Did I forget to mention just how good a pint of BB Preservation Ale can taste after a day of climbing?!

I hope some of you got a swim in after the ride to clean up and cool down. Conveniently located right across the road from the parking area
Old 08-24-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
Had 'em at 65psi myself (185lb rider). They seemed good and cushy, no flats. Could have used more grip on some of the steeper/looser hills, especially later in the day when things started drying out a bit more.
Pretty much parallels my experience. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:51 PM

100K riders - Did anybody do the Josh Rd option?

Did the 100K, and what a great day. It took me awhile to get the legs going, but by lunchtime, I was feeling good. At the decision point between J'ville Stage Rd and the Josh Rd option, I was hanging out with a bunch of other riders trying to get someone to join me to Josh Rd. No takers. So, I headed out and was doing fine, and was trying to find Josh Rd. Finally got it and what a treat - a very cool option. I saw nobody on it, even after stopping to take pics for awhile. Just a few tracks on it, that's it. The road basically went downhill and you had to pick a good line thru the rocks. I had to dismount once at a very hairy rock drop, and the rest was a blast.

So, did anybody else do Josh Rd?

Man, this is such a great event and a great ride. Gotta give the organizers a ton of credit.

Funny, I was riding with another guy near the end. He had started the 115k and bailed, doing the rest of the 100k route which he had done before. Having done the 115k last year, I said he was a very smart man skipping Pennel Hill and Patten Hill. He said this: "You know, the 100k is the perfect ride. It's just long enough and hard enough, but nothing stupid".
I tend to agree.

Here's some pics:
Crossing into VT

A few pics from Josh Rd