Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 11:47 AM

1up usa racks

I am getting ready to order a 1up rack and see 2 websites. 1upusa.com and 1up-usa.com The first site claims to be the original owner of the company with a new improved version at a cheaper price. The new improved racks seem to have some nice features and is $110 cheaper. Product is to be available in December.

Anybody know what's really going on between the original owner and the current company?
Old 09-15-2017, 12:08 PM

Hmm...

...I just ordered one from the hyphenated domain name this past summer. Super quick shipping, amazing product, great service.

I got the sense that the business was migrated from the old domain (non-hyphenated) to the new one, and that one could not actually process an order from the old site. That could be (for some reason) because I'm in Canada, but I didn't get the sense that older site could take my order.

(click click click) just went on the non-hyphenated site. That's totally different from when I ordered. Looks like their new "Mark 2 Quik rack" is "improved" from the legacy design.

I kind of like mine--solid, bulky, who doesn't love machined aluminium? That said, I bet my ol' Delica wishes the rack was a few pounds lighter, hahaha!
Old 09-15-2017, 12:54 PM

I don't think there are two companies. I think there is a new website to introduce the new models. There are several clues throughout the new site that lead me to believe this, but I've also sent an inquiry directly to the company.

I like the look and features of the new version - I'll probably order a full set or two!

And, for those that don't have a hitch: "Coming soon, a new trunk mount Quik-Rack with all the features of our hitch Quik-Rack tray system."
Old 09-15-2017, 12:57 PM

Maybe call them....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2017, 01:02 PM

After a little searching I found this thread on mtbr.com

http://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-rac...t-1055205.html

It sounds like the original owner sold the company 5 years ago and a non compete agreement has expired. Original owner still owned the rights to the website name, and is launching his new improved version through that site. The existing company changed their website to include the hyphen.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
It sounds like the original owner sold the company 5 years ago and a non compete agreement has expired. Original owner still owned the rights to the website name, and is launching his new improved version through that site. The existing company changed their website to include the hyphen.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:27 PM

This was also discussed on another form too and I was wondering about this as the addresses of each pace is within a stone's throw of each other.

Thanks for finding this
Old 09-15-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
yep.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
I don't think there are two companies. I think there is a new website to introduce the new models. There are several clues throughout the new site that lead me to believe this, but I've also sent an inquiry directly to the company.

I like the look and features of the new version - I'll probably order a full set or two!

And, for those that don't have a hitch: "Coming soon, a new trunk mount Quik-Rack with all the features of our hitch Quik-Rack tray system."
Nevermind, I stand corrected! It was the statements on the new website about "our" old model that threw me off track.

In any case, I really like the new one at first glance, and am in the market, so I'll have to study further. If the new one really is better and less expensive, I wonder how the other legacy company will respond.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
After a little searching I found this thread on mtbr.com

http://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-rac...t-1055205.html

Wow. What a mess.