Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 03:23 PM

Question re: typical process for returning a warranty frame

Hi gang,
I'm in the process of returning a frame under warranty and am curious about how the process typically works. I feel like I'm hounding the bike shop so was hoping I could get some info behind the scenes just so that I don't come across as too obsessive about this (which if course I totally am!).

I've had some contact with the distributor (due to some issues he has helped me with along the way). Normally he would deal ONLY with the bike store so I don't want to hound him too much either (although he has been very helpful anytime I've asked).

I've already handed the frame over to the bike store . The bike store has received a Warranty Shipping slip (aka "RA") from the distributor which allows them to ship back to the distributor with costs redirected to the warranty claim. They receive this as of mid-last week.

I've also received an informal notice from the distributor that the manufacturer had approved the warranty replacement (based on a few pics and a video I sent him earlier). I got this notice prior to bringing the bike over to the store, in fact.

I guess my question ultimately is, what typically happens next?

1) Who issues the warranty frame? The bike store or the manufacturer (Note that the the frame is discontinued but the bike store itself seems to still have some in stock).

2) At what point in the process does the store/distributor get approval to hand the frame over to the consumer?

3) How much time should I expect before I get a frame back? I've got a back-up bike I'm riding in the meantime but it's not ideal.

Any feedback you guys can provide would be much appreciated.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Who issues the warranty frame? The bike store or the manufacturer (Note that the the frame is discontinued but the bike store itself seems to still have some in stock).
Normally it's the manufacturer. For disco'd product they'll typically offer the current equivalent model, unless they have some NOS ("new old stock") available.

If your LBS really does have some of those disco'd frames in stock the manufacturer might offer them some recompense to give you one of those. But the approval/authorization always originates with the manufacturer (...if not temporally, then certainly legally.)
Old 09-12-2017, 07:00 PM

It took two weeks for my replacement Felt frame. Frame prep was included at no charge.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:42 AM

the manufacturer. there should be a manufacturer rep. that gets assigned to handle it. like anything, it just depends on their work load. They usually examine the frame to confirm that it is a warranty issue. Then, it just depends on that they have on hand. Note that if the model you have is discontinued, is there big changes to the model? is it still considered equal? they may offer you a lower model new model or ask you to pony up a few bucks. it just depends on how good their customer service is.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:16 AM

Thanks, guys. That helps a lot. I'm hopeful that I'll get a like for like replacement as the frame was available for the 2017 year but I just noticed on their website as of 2 weeks ago that they have had taken that model out of their line-up. I guess I'll just hang tight until I hear back...
Old 09-29-2017, 01:33 PM

Update - still waiting...

Turns out that the manufacturer agreed to replace the frame without even seeing it. Instead, the distributor shared the pics and video that I had made with them and they agreed to replace.

The hold up is that the manufacturer proposed to send the frame to the distributor along with the scheduled shipment of 2018 stuff so eta is sometime in October.

The good news in the interim is that I was able to get my frame back from the dealer and will ride it until the new one arrives.

I'm really dying to find out what they send me...

Two lessons I learned here though: 1) it doesn't hurt to build a relationship with the distributor if at all possible. I had previously reached out to the rep to get his advice on an issue and continued to correspond with him when the new problem came up. 2) Helps of you document your discussions with dealer/distributor (in my case via email).
Old 09-29-2017, 01:55 PM

What frame and what was the issue?
Old 09-29-2017, 02:02 PM

My friend has a 3 year old Felt cyclocross bike that he has used strictly as an on-street commuter. It's developed a significant crack in the rear dropout. The bike shop where he bought it is no longer a Felt dealer. He's talked with an LBS that carries Felt, but they are unwilling to help him since he didn't buy from them. He's been trying to communicate directly with the company and sent them pictures but they have been completely unresponsive for about 2 weeks now.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-29-2017, 07:01 PM

Any bike shop unwilling to handle a warranty is short for this world. This is the single greatest opportunity to knock customer service out of the park and grab a new customer in the process.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
Any bike shop unwilling to handle a warranty is short for this world. This is the single greatest opportunity to knock customer service out of the park and grab a new customer in the process.
YUP, and it will cost the manufacturer a lot less to warranty a frame for an existing customer then it does to try and gain a new customer.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:37 PM

Question too is what was wrong with the frame that warranted a replacement but yet you are now able to ride the frame while waiting for its replacement? Some details on the brand/model could be useful to others as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
Question too is what was wrong with the frame that warranted a replacement but yet you are now able to ride the frame while waiting for its replacement? Some details on the brand/model could be useful to others as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The frame is a Look 675 2012. I had been having ongoing issues trying to keep the headset tight (headfit 3). I tightened it 4x before giving up and bringing it in to the bike shop. I was super careful not to over tighten and followed all tips from the distributor to see if I could get it to hold. Even with some loktite play would come back within 1000kms. All parties were stumped until I happen to come across the tiniest little crack on the head tube right at the location of the integrated top cup.

At this point the play is not huge and the crack doesn't appear to be getting bigger so I'm simply taking a risk and hoping that the whole front end isn't going to fall apart from going over a bump. I've hit some decent ones with no ill effects thus far. Just need to make it through a couple more weeks.