Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2024, 02:12 PM
I <3 STEEL

Moving from Rim- to Disc-Brake w/ Same Groupset? (Campy 12s)

I've got a roadie tricked out in a full Campagnolo Chorus 12-speed gruppo. I love the bike so very much (even though I'm still in the honeymoon phase due to being a fair-weather rider and having built it in the winter). BUT, I'm thinking about swapping out the frame for an all-road or gravel model that can accommodate wider tires (whether 650B or 700C). The vast majority of options available are oriented around disc brakes.

Now, because Campy sells two sets of shift/brake levers, one for rim and one for disc, I assumed the braking part of these levers was differentiated. But it occurs to me that maybe they're sold separately simply because the disc-oriented set comes with actual calipers and not because of incompatibility. I don't know if this is true or not. So here's my question: can I use my current levers with disc brakes and if so are there limitations on which ones I can use? Or would I actually need to buy new levers and sell the old ones? I don't know what brakes I would get (so recs are appreciated...I love everything Paul but it's also $$$$).

Thank you!
Old 05-22-2024, 02:14 PM

Campagnolo's disc brakes use mineral oil to activate the brakes. The rim brakes pull a cable. You can get cable-actuated disc brakes (TRP Spyre, Growtac, Paul Klamper, Juin) and use your current shifters, though opinions are mixed on the quality of cable disc brakes.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:47 PM
I <3 STEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Campagnolo's disc brakes use mineral oil to activate the brakes. The rim brakes pull a cable. You can get cable-actuated disc brakes (TRP Spyre, Growtac, Paul Klamper, Juin) and use your current shifters, though opinions are mixed on the quality of cable disc brakes.
Thanks very much! That's excellent news that gives me a little flexibility in choosing a new frame.
Old 05-22-2024, 03:00 PM

I'm very happy with my Growtacs, which I have on two bikes. Lets me use all cable shifters (mine are Shimano, but you get the point)
Old 05-22-2024, 04:17 PM
I <3 STEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm very happy with my Growtacs, which I have on two bikes. Lets me use all cable shifters (mine are Shimano, but you get the point)
They look cute! Thanks for the suggestion...
Old 05-22-2024, 04:19 PM
I <3 STEEL

Short-pull vs. long-pull...I understand the difference for side-pull caliper brakes for rim, but when dealing with mechanical disc (e.g., Paul Klamper) what's the difference/preference for mostly pavement riding and repurposing my current Chorus shift/brake-levers?

Appreciate all the help, brain trust!
Old 05-22-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhandler View Post
Short-pull vs. long-pull...I understand the difference for side-pull caliper brakes for rim, but when dealing with mechanical disc (e.g., Paul Klamper) what's the difference/preference for mostly pavement riding and repurposing my current Chorus shift/brake-levers?

Appreciate all the help, brain trust!
Paul specifically makes a "Campagnolo" pull Klamper. For other manufacturers, you generally want the short pull variant. Long pull would generally come from flat bar style brake lever.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:20 PM
I <3 STEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Paul specifically makes a "Campagnolo" pull Klamper. For other manufacturers, you generally want the short pull variant. Long pull would generally come from flat bar style brake lever.
You are full of wisdom. Appreciate you sharing it with me!
Old 05-22-2024, 05:23 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

If you go down the cable-actuated disc brake route, make sure you get some compressionless housing

M
Old 05-22-2024, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
If you go down the cable-actuated disc brake route, make sure you get some compressionless housing

M
I used Jagwire Pro and not the oddball two different housings that come with the Growtacs.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM

I am a campy guy and I would do as above - blow $$ on Klampers. I have used Campy hydros and they’re great, but it’s a hassle and expense to replace the shifters and calipers.

If I were to build a dream disc bike now, it would be Klampers and Record 12…
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

Klampers are great, but the routing from the bicycle may not be ideal for proper use. The Growtacs, Juin Tech or other hybrid style caliper may work better for your intended purpose.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

I have a Seven Evergreen all road bike fitted with a mix of Record 10-speed and other Campy bits of the same vintage, but with Klamper disc brakes. I used the Campy cable and housing and the brakes work great. The compression less cables do not fit the Campy brifters.

Tags
campagnolo, compatibility, disc brakes, gravel, rim brakes