Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2017, 05:26 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Tubulars

This isn't a debate against clinchers, but more of a taste test.

I have only used cross tubulars, so I understand mounting (no worries HappyCampyer I am not mounting them) as well as the benefits.

My query is, what tires do you guys love and why?

My thought was to simply get the tubular version of the clinchers I like. Vittoria, veloflex, or schwalbe. What tire in the larger size, say 27mm and up would you consider a noticeable difference over clinchers.

If the subtleties are truly only observed by Finley tuned riders who can determine the shape and density of the pebble they just rode over... then never mind.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:37 PM

My fav 27 ish tubular was made in argentina by Alvarez... so far the best training tubular I ever had and sadly the company went down many many years ago.

The widest tubular Ive used in the last 5 years is maybe continental, not bad but not even close to Alvarez.

As for brands buy whatever you can pay, telling you this because if you have bad luck you can explode a 200 bucks vittoria getting off your house.

Some people swear for veloflex but I always had problems with them losing air out of the blue etc... schwalbe are good stuff... vittoria is ok...
Old 05-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
My fav 27 ish tubular was made in argentina by Alvarez... so far the best training tubular I ever had and sadly the company went down many many years ago.

The widest tubular Ive used in the last 5 years is maybe continental, not bad but not even close to Alvarez.

As for brands buy whatever you can pay, telling you this because if you have bad luck you can explode a 200 bucks vittoria getting off your house.

Some people swear for veloflex but I always had problems with them losing air out of the blue etc... schwalbe are good stuff... vittoria is ok...
$200 Vittoria, not really. Vittoria Corsa Elites, 25mm, 290tpi, hand made, butyl tube, about $35-$45. Veloflex are nice but not 2x+ imho.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:58 PM
Princess Sweat

Schwalbe One 700x28s last FOREVER and have a butyl tube. I've run them as low as 70PSI on Nemesis rims. (I'm 165lbs)

They make a 26mm version which I was running on my Boyds for a while then I went to Michelin Pro4s. They seem to roll faster and grab the corners better but they're more expensive and cut up easier (I run these at 75/85psi)

I'm not a fan of the Continental tubulars (and can't seem to find them above 25mm). I don't think they roll that great.

Challenge has made a few nice tubulars but they're sometimes lumpy.

Kenda makes awesome tires but I think they're only available up to 24mm. (Sad because I would ride the **** out of Volare 700x26 or 700x28). I rode these at 90PSI but would probably go down to 85 now.

I wasn't a fan of Vittorias the last time I tried them. Mostly it's because they added some silicone to their tread for a while and they didn't keep traction when things got the least bit damp. Everyone I know loves the clincher graphine tires. I'll probably give them a shot later this summer.

A few people really like the Bontrager R4 Classics. I have no experience.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:12 PM

veloflex vlaadaren 27mm and roubaix 25mm
i had a nail go into my roubaix, pulled it out, rode 20 more miles, forgot about it, checked the next morning, could have ridden again, without adding air. it did leak very slowly, i then sealed it, and since then no issue at all. i as amazed after pulling a nail out i could ride it for 20plus miles. no way you do that with a tube.

also having good luck and nice miles on challeneg parigi roubaixs. 27mm on some hyperons are giving me a push ride for sure.

as far as sensing a difference, for clinchers 28mm and over, they are awfully cozy, but running 25mm clinchers vs 25-27mm tubulars, super difference. it may be the boras and hyperons, it may be the tires, it may be both, but im faster on those than on my alu clinchers says the starva machine, and they are much more comfy than 25 clinchers, even the graphenes and contis. any ride under 40-50 miles and im on the tubies.

Last edited by Mzilliox; 05-28-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:21 PM

I've got 25mm Corsa clinchers on the road bike and they're great.

I have 22mm Conti Sprinter tubulars on the race wheels and they feel super fast and pretty smooth.

FWIW if I think the tubular is smooth that most others aren't a huge fan of, the tubular world is pretty good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 09:01 PM

another vote for vittoria

I've used contis and they're good if you don't over inflate them. but the vittoria corsa elites have been really nice, I've been running 25s and for the price they can't be beat.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:08 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
This isn't a debate against clinchers, but more of a taste test.

I have only used cross tubulars, so I understand mounting (no worries HappyCampyer I am not mounting them) as well as the benefits.

My query is, what tires do you guys love and why?

My thought was to simply get the tubular version of the clinchers I like. Vittoria, veloflex, or schwalbe. What tire in the larger size, say 27mm and up would you consider a noticeable difference over clinchers.

If the subtleties are truly only observed by Finley tuned riders who can determine the shape and density of the pebble they just rode over... then never mind.
Absolutely not. Some folks (including myself) who tried tubulars for the first time stopped after a few meters checking the pressure, because to someone used to the ride of 20mm or 23mm clinchers it felt as if they had only 3 bars in it. The difference in "plushness" between, say, a Conti GP 23mm and a Veloflex Servizio Corsa is very, very noticeable.
That is, when using *good* tubulars, which excludes most cheap ones and all made by Tufo.

Of course if you already ride very good supple clinchers like the Veloflex Paves, probably with a latex inner tube, the difference is less noticeable.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:33 AM

I ride tubulars because the rims weigh less, carbon braking is frequently better, wheels are typically cheaper, and I actually prefer the flat protection. And what I mean by that last part is that I've had good luck not getting punctures with tubulars and, when I do get some misfortune, I throw in some orange seal and get back on my way. This happened in my wife's 3.4 the other day and she was shocked how quickly we were back in the road (not having to change a tube). Also, tubular flats don't usually mean you're riding on the rim the moment if a puncture.

As for tires, I basically ride what I like from clinchers. I ride a lot if Vittoria because I like the ride and cornering grip. Continental is perhaps more durable but offers neither ride nor grip if the Vittoria. I've only ridden a Schwalbe One a couple times and thought the grip was similar to Conti. Their tubulars were VERY fragile just a couple years ago. I haven't spent a lot of time in Veloflex but I'm about to attempt to remedy that with some Arenbergs.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Everything is connected

Veloflex Roubaix and Vlaanderen are my go to tires. The Vlaanderen are larger volume and give a plush ride, but the Roubaix seem to be a little faster. I'm into plush these days. Wear and puncture resistance have been commendable. Super easy and accurate to mount too, with limited stretching required. You have to watch for sales as the going rate recently has been in the $65/tire range.

I have Vittoria 27mm Paves mounted on another bike and they have been just as reliable, with the ride being just a bit off from the Veloflex tires. I ride these mostly in wet weather and they get an A+. At $44/tire I have no complaints.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:47 AM

Only Ride Tubulars...

Life is too short!! My favorites for the last three or so years have been FMB. Have ridden the Comp CX (and the Service Course replacement), Paris Roubaix and the P-R Pro's. Tried the Vittoria Corsa G+ and they were fine, but nothing special other than cheaper than the FMB's. Have ridden and liked the Veloflex Arenberg's, and am riding the gum walled version Roubaix right now. Prefer the gum wall look. I have a pair of Dugast Strada's on the stretching rims and will be eager to see how they stack up. Tried the Schwalbe One's, they were a nice tire. First pair of tubbies were Continental Comp's, durable, but not an especially memorable road feel.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamoots58 View Post
First pair of tubbies were Continental Comp's, durable, but not an especially memorable road feel.
They're definitely not as supple as some others, but nothing has given me confidence cornering at over 35mph in a crit like a pair of 25mm Conti Comps.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:07 PM

I am a big fan of Continental Competitions. I agree that the road feel isn't great, but they are so durable and grippy.

I also like the Vittoria Corsa G+ (Graphene) tires. Marketing aside, they have been super grippy for me this race season and the ride quality is exceptional. Some of the other posts about these tires indicate that they wear quickly and that has been my experience.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
I've used contis and they're good if you don't over inflate them. but the vittoria corsa elites have been really nice, I've been running 25s and for the price they can't be beat.
1+ on the Vittoria Coras elites. I'm not a big fan of "wider is better", so 25 is as wide as I go. I tried Contis in the past, but the Vittoria tubs seem to have better grip for the road. Currently running Vittoria CG.
Cheers
Old 05-30-2017, 03:43 PM
Formerly rchman

I find the Vittoria tires to be mediocre at best. I had two pairs of 27mm Paves that turned a bike to crap above 30mph since the handling became nervous. That was by far my best glue job too since I had to make it work with my C59 which had like a mm of clearance on one side.

The new Corsa G+ are okay. They cut easily IMO and they tend to have a hop at the valve unless you take a lot of precautions to prevent that.

Being in the middle of Los Angeles, and spending the last 40K miles on tubs, I ride a lot of crap roads. For the first few years I rode Conti sprinters solely. They're a pain to put on and near impossible to mount perfectly straight. They ride like butyl clinchers. Their only redeeming quality IMO is that they handle well in the wet, very well.

For me, Veloflex Roubaix is my go to tire on wide rims or Carbons on narrower rims. My flat rate is about the same as Conti sprinters (maybe once every 5K miles). Ride quality is just superb. I have some Vlaanderens I've been meaning to glue up but I really need a third wheelset for them.