Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2017, 07:48 AM

Well--a couple of shakedown rides after checking it over (replaced a spoke in the back wheel and touched it up for true) and doing a cursory clean:

All the stories about the CSi being a wonderful frame seem to be true. Feels like the custom Mooney that I dumped in the "Great Recession"--in terms of liveliness, balance and tracking it doesn't get any better than this IMO. (And this is with a pretty funky front wheel (one of those old Matrix with fake bladed spokes,) not great tires and a seat that I don't love);

Why did we ever go away from Campy 8--shifts like an old BMW--positive and precise?;

OMG--I am so out of shape after the long winter of discontent and layoff--

Still thinking about cockpit--the levers as they are mounted are rotated up, but I think the stem that is on there is a tad too long, so I may go back to a 120 (I measure it at 130)

Thanks for the good thoughts & info!
Old 05-28-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Carbon--but I don't know anymore than that. When did they start using the F1 fork and marking them as such?
Looks like an F1.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Well--a couple of shakedown rides after checking it over (replaced a spoke in the back wheel and touched it up for true) and doing a cursory clean:

All the stories about the CSi being a wonderful frame seem to be true. Feels like the custom Mooney that I dumped in the "Great Recession"--in terms of liveliness, balance and tracking it doesn't get any better than this IMO. (And this is with a pretty funky front wheel (one of those old Matrix with fake bladed spokes,) not great tires and a seat that I don't love);

Why did we ever go away from Campy 8--shifts like an old BMW--positive and precise?;

OMG--I am so out of shape after the long winter of discontent and layoff--

Still thinking about cockpit--the levers as they are mounted are rotated up, but I think the stem that is on there is a tad too long, so I may go back to a 120 (I measure it at 130)

Thanks for the good thoughts & info!
I recently picked up a '96 Atlanta w/Campy Chorus 8-sp and steel fork. A very nice bike and I like it. All it needed was cleaning and a bit of oil. It would be about 9.5 condition except from some seat stay damage near the brakes that I missed at inspection (no paint damage). The brakes feel more firm than Record10. I wish it had a bit lower gearing though. I'd still love to find a nice CSi in my size.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:19 PM

great score with the csi.fantastic frames,for sure an F1 fork,great performing fork just kind of porky and not much room for anything over 25mm.

stem appears to me to be a "profile for speed" tig stem,they were Ti colored steel.pretty low cost stem but gets the job done til you find a nicer stem that suits that frame
Old 05-28-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Why did we ever go away from Campy 8--shifts like an old BMW--positive and precise...

Thanks for the encouragement, I will very shortly be putting some Campy 8-speed on the road.

On my Serotta, natch!

This will join my two Dura-Ace 8-speed bikes, and my three Suntour 8-speed bikes, so I'm not going to be much use to you with your question.

But I can tell you, you're going to love it.