Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2017, 04:40 PM
50 bpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2017, 08:54 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-25-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:33 PM

Big thumbs up to you mr elefantino sir!
Old 05-21-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny to see these photos. I'm in a hotel right between those two shots. Hope you got a nice ride yesterday, weather was perfect. Aprica and Mortirolo for me today.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:40 AM
50 bpm

Mortirolo today.

But first, a little background. We flew San Francisco-Milan on Turkish Airlines, via Istanbul. Service was impeccable (in Business Class) and everything was fine until we landed late Saturday in Milan. No bike. Not only no bike, but two subsequent days of searching by both the Milan airport and the Turkish Airlines folks have resulted in the following explanation: THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE BIKE IS. Literally. It is not in SFO. Not in Istanbul. Not in Milan. Not on a plane. Not on a train. Might be in Bali for all I know.

So my Look, adapted for the mountains with help from JTek, Wolf, and Shimano (XT cassette) is not to be had. Fortunately, the good folks of our tour organizer, Custom Getaways, manage to come up with a 105-equipped Wilier GTR in XXL. Except that it has a 12-28 out back. Oh well, right?

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled programming. Today was the ride from Bormio to the Mortirolo. Beautiful scenic ride through the valley. That's Eric, one of our guides, ahead of me.

The mountain opposite the turn to the base of the climb is particularly beautiful.

So we are ready for the climb. The signage is foreboding.

The climb itself is beautiful. There are seemingly endless stretches of double-figure ramps, with mostly narrow road through the trees with occasional breaks of sunshine. Not a lot of rest spots. It's amazing when you look down at your Garmin and give thanks when it shows 8%! The hardest was one stretch purported to be 19% but it only showed 17 on the Garmin. One minor hiccup was when Eric and I were forced to clip out when a step van stopped in front of us; total d!ck move on their part. Anyway, it happened right below a hairpin so we were able to clip back in and continue.

With about 2k to go I caught up to a couple of Slovanians and we rode together to the summit. A pretty good crowd at the top. I rode over the summit to the wooden sign for the obligatory shot.

The descent back down was exciting, made more so by the crappy non-model Shimano rim brakes. About halfway down a Renault Espace van passed me and I sped up and rode its tail the rest of the way down.

Tomorrow, we do the Stelvio from the Bormio side, where we'll watch the stage before descending back down for the finish.

Whew.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Mortirolo today.

But first, a little background. We flew San Francisco-Milan on Turkish Airlines, via Istanbul. Service was impeccable (in Business Class) and everything was fine until we landed late Saturday in Milan. No bike. Not only no bike, but two subsequent days of searching by both the Milan airport and the Turkish Airlines folks have resulted in the following explanation: THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE BIKE IS. Literally. It is not in SFO. Not in Istanbul. Not in Milan. Not on a plane. Not on a train. Might be in Bali for all I know.

So my Look, adapted for the mountains with help from JTek, Wolf, and Shimano (XT cassette) is not to be had. Fortunately, the good folks of our tour organizer, Custom Getaways, manage to come up with a 105-equipped Wilier GTR in XXL. Except that it has a 12-28 out back. Oh well, right?

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled programming. Today was the ride from Bormio to the Mortirolo. Beautiful scenic ride through the valley. That's Eric, one of our guides, ahead of me.

The mountain opposite the turn to the base of the climb is particularly beautiful.

The climb itself is beautiful. There are seemingly endless stretches of double-figure ramps, with mostly narrow road through the trees with occasional breaks of sunshine. Not a lot of rest spots. It's amazing when you look down at your Garmin and give thanks when it shows 8%! The hardest was one stretch purported to be 19% but it only showed 17 on the Garmin. One minor hiccup was when Eric and I were forced to clip out when a step van stopped in front of us; total d!ck move on their part. Anyway, it happened right below a hairpin so we were able to clip back in and continue.

With about 2k to go I caught up to a couple of Slovanians and we rode together to the summit. A pretty good crowd at the top. I rode over the summit to the wooden sign for the obligatory shot.

The descent back down was exciting, made more so by the crappy non-model Shimano rim brakes. About halfway down a Renault Espace van passed me and I sped up and rode its tail the rest of the way down.

Tomorrow, we do the Stelvio from the Bormio side, where we'll watch the stage before descending back down for the finish.

Whew.
Awesome shots! So jealous right now.

(Those white cables are killing me on the Willier, BTW)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:14 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-25-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Mortirolo today.

Whew.
You suck.

Enjoy your time. Best cycling in the world happens there.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:23 AM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-25-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:26 AM

Happy Stelvio day everyone.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:26 AM

And the streaming is not working... what is going onnnnnnnn

Looks like the dutch got dropped ?

ps: the colombian stream is working fine.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 05-23-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
And the streaming is not working... what is going onnnnnnnn

Looks like the dutch got dropped ?
He stopped for a nature break (sounds like #2) at the. Are of the last climb and the group didn't wait for him. In fact, both Movistar and Bahrain pushed the pace, now Movistar dropped a rider back to sit on his wheel and mark him.

That's just dirty, classless riding. Especially after he waited for Quintana when he crashed. I expect there will be fireworks about this after the stage
Old 05-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
He stopped for a nature break (sounds like #2)
yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Fr...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Veni.Vidi.Bici.

most live streams dropped

Parlata Italiano?

http://rai2.web.tv/
Old 05-23-2017, 09:35 AM

WOw man... he must be really dehydrated by now... this sucks