Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
So glad SB is OK.....when you it lose there and at those speeds..
The doctors say it will be several weeks before he can put weight on his right leg, but it's great to see him out of the hospital.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Unser never drove in a F1 race but tested for Williams, as did Kenny Brack for Arrows and Dario Franchitti for Jaguar. Parnelli owned a team but never drove. Gil de Ferran never drove in F1 but was a manager at BAR. Dan Wheldon was offered a drive with Sauber but declined. Rahal drove a couple of races for Wolf but was basically driven out of the team by the incoming James Hunt. Mark Donahue won Indy for Penske and died after hitting a catch fence in the Penske March F1. Rossi drove F1 for Manor. If you go back to the early years of the 500, there were winners who drove in Grand Prix racing before it was called F1.
If you knew all this, I'm truly impressed. If you gleaned this from the google, I'm still impressed. Mark Donohue is still my favorite driver ever. I have an autographed framed picture of the #66 car. Didn't know he drove F1, but am not surprised. He drove everything. Like Mario, like AJ, like Tony Stewart.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:17 PM
Embracing my

Bumping this to comment that the race today was fun to watch. It's a shame that Honda had some mechanical problems but overall it was a good show.

I hope Alonso comes back.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:38 PM

Dixon's crash was horrific. His head missed the concrete wall by a foot. Any closer and we'd be talking about a death.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:28 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I agree it was a VERY close call for Dixon. The roll hoop/air box hit the SAFER barriers as the car landed.

Castroneves probably had to really clean his suit as the chassis pretty much flew over his car while barrel-rolling in mid air.

Transaxle and bell housing left the car with the rear suspension.

The photographer who was standing behind the section of catch fencing that was ripped away was one EXTREMELY lucky guy. Minor scratches, etc. He too could easily have been a fatality.

Indy Car safety has gotten so much better but with open cockpits and open wheels there will always be some risk.

Next years aero package deletes the pods behind the rear wheels. While this wouldn't have made a difference in this one it will expose the rear wheels again to potential contact. I was not a fan of the pods but they have grown on me and they do seem to generally add a small safety factor to these cars.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:13 PM

I really know nothing about car racing so I'm curious: why would Alonso skip Monaco to race the 500, and why would his team let him do it? I would think that contract clauses wouldn't allow that kind of danger, like for NBA, NFL, etc. players.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:33 PM

Well the F1 Mclarens are dog slow, mainly because of the unreliable Honda engines. His chances in Monaco unless it rained was near zero to even finish based on the past two seasons. Honda sponsors and is closely tied to the Andretti Indy teams, so purely from a PR standpoint this was a huge win for all around. You might have noticed a Honda H on the back of the Michael Andretti's team shirt. I would imagine Honda kicked in a good deal of money. Mclaren also had advertising on the car, though I do not think too many of us will be buying a Mclaren road car anytime soon.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
I really know nothing about car racing so I'm curious: why would Alonso skip Monaco to race the 500, and why would his team let him do it? I would think that contract clauses wouldn't allow that kind of danger, like for NBA, NFL, etc. players.
Alonso has won Monaco twice already. His McLaren car this year has been crap and it's more than just the engine (ICE)-it's the whole power system MGU-H, MGU-K, etc. the whole ERS. They just haven't figured it out as well as Mercedes or Ferrari.

He's a very popular driver on F1 and this was a PR gig I think. He did really well until his Honda motor blew. Okay you have a point rrudof ! The F1 cars aren't any safer, still open wheel and open cockpit , they just aren't spending as much time over 200 mph during a race as they do at Indy.

I join the crowd that thinks they should have better head protection-which means an enclosed cockpit.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Alonso has won Monaco twice already. His McLaren car this year has been crap and it's more than just the engine (ICE)-it's the whole power system MGU-H, MGU-K, etc. the whole ERS. They just haven't figured it out as well as Mercedes or Ferrari.

He's a very popular driver on F1 and this was a PR gig I think. He did really well until his Honda motor blew. Okay you have a point rrudof ! The F1 cars aren't any safer, still open wheel and open cockpit , they just aren't spending as much time over 200 mph during a race as they do at Indy.

I join the crowd that thinks they should have better head protection-which means an enclosed cockpit.
Yes, it's all dangerous, but he is under contract to drive McLarens in F1, and not Indy cars, right? Or did McLaren pay for his Indy ride?
Old 05-28-2017, 11:10 PM
It An't Me Babe

Alonso is blessed with superlative driving talent while still missing what I perceive as true leadership capability. Which in F1 means he certainly has the driver instincts & talent but not the x-factor of judgement, teamwork and leadership skills to pull a team up by the bootstraps and contribute towards building a winner.

In fairness, Hamilton IMO does not posses the people-skills side of the equation anymore than Alonso does, but he does have raw speed which is unmatched by any driver since Mika Hakkinnen. And that speed will forgive a multitude of sins. Hamilton idolizes Senna but doesn't have the skill to adapt and drive through a cars fallibilities & weaknesses like Senna could.

No top team will touch Alonso. He's burned too many bridges and his poisonous effect on a team poised either at the cusp or at the crossroads has always comes up snake-bit. That reputation closes off any chance of Alonso ever getting his third WDC.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:43 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

This was a way to placate Alonso given how dismal Mclaren is this year in F1. Also a way for Honda to try and get some positive PR from having him contracted to drive their engines. This whole thing was engineered by the Mclaren team director (an American BTW) who had ties to Indy car and, I believe, Andretti.

I am expecting that Alonso will end up with a full season Indy car ride next year. He is saying all the right things and showed incredible up side in just this one drive.

He could be completely dominant on road courses with his talent.

As fuzzalow said, his F1 options are limited and Mclaren (sadly) does not seem like they have their stuff together the way they once did.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:16 AM

At the race yesterday...

Tony Kanaan is the fan favorite. After the race, TK said he could hear the fans applauding when he took the lead, for the first time ever. IMO, even louder was the applause when Alonso stepped out of his car. EVERYONE was on their feet applauding. He was genuinely appreciated.

On local news last night....

Alonso was interviewed and didn't rule out a return. Personally, I sorta doubt the stars will align again, while he's active in F1. He said he knew he could compete with anyone in F1, but wasn't sure about oval racing. He viewed this as a personal challenge and thinks he met it. He said that while he was leading, he looked up at the tower and saw #29 (his number) at the top and hoped his friend got a nice photo of it, because it's going on his wall. He said he now knows he can compete at the highest level of oval racing too. ie. bucket list item fulfilled.

He also was complimentary of Andretti and the support AMS offered. BUT, said that if he returns, he wants his own team and car. Return?....

Bigger still, on local news, was the near-confirmation that McLaren will return to Indianapolis with their own team. Stopped short of making it an official announcement, but the implication was that its a nearly done deal.

I can't remember a better race in a long time. Maybe a few too many yellows, but those likely set up the very aggressive driving we enjoyed. Too bad Honda ruined so many guys days, otherwise I can't think how the show could've been any more thrilling.

Last edited by mistermo; 05-29-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:32 AM

k
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
Alonso is blessed with superlative driving talent while still missing what I perceive as true leadership capability. Which in F1 means he certainly has the driver instincts & talent but not the x-factor of judgement, teamwork and leadership skills to pull a team up by the bootstraps and contribute towards building a winner.

In fairness, Hamilton IMO does not posses the people-skills side of the equation anymore than Alonso does, but he does have raw speed which is unmatched by any driver since Mika Hakkinnen. And that speed will forgive a multitude of sins. Hamilton idolizes Senna but doesn't have the skill to adapt and drive through a cars fallibilities & weaknesses like Senna could.

No top team will touch Alonso. He's burned too many bridges and his poisonous effect on a team poised either at the cusp or at the crossroads has always comes up snake-bit. That reputation closes off any chance of Alonso ever getting his third WDC.
Not sure Ham possesses best talent since Hak..That he has been with Merc has made him look very good. Vettel on the good days in the same car would be a hoot. Senna was in another league at car control. Watching him at Monaco from an in car on you tube and you would swear he is going to crash. Raikkonens Pole lap was extraordinary this year. I just want better engine sounds!
Old 05-29-2017, 07:51 AM

The $$$ drivers get in F1 could be a block to Alonso returning. I gather he makes something like $30+million yearly in F1. Indy car folks make a fraction of that.

Then again, when you have made that kind of $$$ for years, he may say I do not need the $$, but do need the challenge.

Mansell was a big boost to US racing. I hope Alonso comes for a full season. (and he will probably negotiate the opportunity for LeMans as well as part of a move).
Old 05-29-2017, 08:34 AM

I'm a casual observer for auto racing but I was glued to the tv for last 100 miles after having turned it on channel surfing and was rooting for Alonso (just because bicycle).