Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2017, 08:21 PM

NY cycling

Considering moving to NY. Office would be in midtown. Don't want a commute much past 1/2 hour, hopefully less. Negotiations will ensure that housing in that radius is affordable. The question is, within that radius, where to live to have best cycling.

Brooklyn on a subway line could do it, but would I be relegated to laps in Prospect Park?

Chelsea or Union Square, up the west side to go out 9W?

Please, discuss. Cycling matters but not enough to have a 45 to 90 minute commute and lose family time.

Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2017, 08:35 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest View Post
Considering moving to NY. Office would be in midtown. Don't want a commute much past 1/2 hour, hopefully less. Negotiations will ensure that housing in that radius is affordable. The question is, within that radius, where to live to have best cycling.

Brooklyn on a subway line could do it, but would I be relegated to laps in Prospect Park?

Chelsea or Union Square, up the west side to go out 9W?

Please, discuss. Cycling matters but not enough to have a 45 to 90 minute commute and lose family time.

Thoughts?
UWS would get you central park and GWB to 9W...
Old 02-03-2017, 08:42 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Uws.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:46 PM

UWS for sure. My office is in midtown, and I lived on the Upper West before moving to CT. I miss the hell out of a 15 minute commute. Laps in the park are fine, but quick access to 9W can't be beat. Riverside Park is pretty terrific for running too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
UWS would get you central park and GWB to 9W...
Old 02-03-2017, 09:08 PM

Should add ... schools? Can do private but would prefer public so kids see all of the city, not a curated select group. Elementary school.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest View Post
Should add ... schools? Can do private but would prefer public so kids see all of the city, not a curated select group. Elementary school.
I live on the UWS. Work midtown east. Good public schools (my oldest is in kindergarten at PS9). Not a cheap place to live but makes city living doable because of the neighborhood vibe, access to parks, good schools and easy escape routes out of the city by bike and car.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:50 PM

Of the neighborhoods I've lived in over the years yeah I'd have to agree UWS as probably one of the more cycling accessible friendly, especially if you join any clubs or race. The meeting points will usually be CP, grants tomb or gwb.
I loved living in park slope-riding in prospect park is fun and convenient but just getting to/from the Gwb adds about 25mi to ride. I think it' was 75mi round trip to nyack. That and the bridges aren't the best; Brooklyn bridge-too many pedestrians most of the time; manhattan bridge-access at either end not exactly a pleasure cruise.

In general no matter where you decide early mornings, late evenings (in the parks) cold and/or rainy weather = the best ride opportunities.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:10 AM
Tired Member

The hardest parts of NYC are the river crossings. If you can afford to live in Manhattan, this will cut your commute considerably.

The western foot of the George Washington Bridge (~181st St) to the Intrepid (55th St) along the River is about 35 minutes on a bike (and probably more in a car) --- meaning that Jersey is out.

Bridge crossings to Brooklyn can be a hassle.

Subway track work on weekends is a hassle.

UWS is good. The area directly north of Central Park might be an option. I live near Columbia University. It's relatively safe with the university patrols, but the area has been gentrified/sanitized by the University.

With kids, I probably wouldn't live north of 125th. Parts of the UES could also be good options.

What you need is a recommendation for a good realtor.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post

What you need is a recommendation for a good realtor.

You all are great. A realtor would be part of the relocation package, so we will get that covered. Not sure how many realtors cycle, so I came to the experts!

UWS will get a lot of focus.

Thanks all!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:19 AM

Another vote for UWS, especially upper-UWS. Easy subway commute to midtown. You have Central Park, Riverside Park, and the Hudson River greenway nearby if you just want to get out of the house, or a short ride to the GW Bridge where you can get to Jersey and 9W. I was on the UES, which isn't that far from the UWS, but the journey across town was the most annoying part of my riding.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:07 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
I was on the UES, which isn't that far from the UWS, but the journey across town was the most annoying part of my riding.
Getting across town on anything, subway, cab, or bike, is a hassle.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:09 AM
aka RAEKWON

I guess if the focus is cycling, uws is the answer. Its not particularly an area I would like to live in (I live in Brooklyn and its pretty great).

I am in Greenpoint which is pretty convinient to both central and prospect parks (20 minutes you are at either of them) but sure its less convenient to get to the gwb than if you live in uws. The worst part of the ride is getting to the bridge. That said, you will get tired of that ride, people here do it every weekend. Its a great ride but it just gets boring after the 100th time.

You could consider "upstate", westchester county. You would have to commute by train but as I hear public schools are really good and the ridding up there is better than anything you will do from starting in manhattan (read, good ridding up there). Your commute will be more of a pain but your cycling will be better so you can decide on that

Last edited by R3awak3n; 02-04-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:19 AM

I'd get a place on West End Ave in the UWS. Around 85th/86th.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:47 AM

Westchester

I second this as North White Plains station on Harlem line is 35 minutes to Grand Central Station. Did the commute for 10+ years and they have quite a few trains originating there so you will always have a seat. Big parking lot but don't know what the monthly is now. It was $30 a month way back in the early 90s. Gimbels ride Sat and Sun if you want to hammer. Cyclesport Sat ride and Sun rocket ride in NJ is only 30 drive over TZ bridge if you want variety. Good luck with relo!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:42 AM
needs adult supervision

Another vote for UWS. Then you face two other choices:

How far up on UWS? 70s and 80s are pretty different from 90s and 100s. I lived on both W75th and W106th, both great but VERY different. Only walking around can tell you which you dig.

How far west on UWS? Be closer to CP or closer to RSP? Being closer to CP makes it easier to get into park to ride. But being closer to RSP makes it easier to hang out there. As much as I love CP, just hanging there on a weekend isn't always great. RSP is a much nicer (read calmer) place to just walk or drink your coffee on a bench on Sunday morning.

Lastly, if you or your wife run, CP (particularly the Reservoir and bridle paths) are best running in the city.

Good luck!

PS UWS prices are high (it's desirable). The UES actually has better values, but it's hard to recco living there...with one exception. It might be worth scoping out Carnegie Hill. It's close to the park and though I never lived there, it always felt a bit removed from the snootiness of the UES.

Last edited by Climb01742; 02-04-2017 at 07:50 AM.