Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Haha, I'd have told him to pull the fart can and put the stock can back on. Fender eliminator... next you'll be telling him to get blue LEDs.
Extremely poor assumption.

I'm all about eliminating the useless stuff (like rear fenders) on a sport bike and think adding lights or other stuff is silly.

This look way cleaner than stock:

Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Administrator

hrm, that does look quite a bit better.

OK, maybe one more mod....
Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Extremely poor assumption.

I'm all about eliminating the useless stuff (like rear fenders) on a sport bike
Last year, I worked 236 days, and commuted via motorcycle on 229 of them. I think fenders are pretty useful as it turns out. And plastic notwithstanding, that's not a sport bike. It's a 250cc thumper low-cost commuter. Fender eliminator isn't like a whaletail on a 911, it's like a wing on a Civic.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Last year, I worked 236 days, and commuted via motorcycle on 229 of them. I think fenders are pretty useful as it turns out. And plastic notwithstanding, that's not a sport bike. It's a 250cc thumper low-cost commuter. Fender eliminator isn't like a whaletail on a 911, it's like a wing on a Civic.
I've never seen a difference riding with or without the rear fender and I've ridden in the rain and on wet roads.

I can't even begin to make that connection. I would say its like removing the civic badge on the truck lid or taking a dork disk off a commuter. Not nessisary, but better looking. Nothing like adding a useless wing to the civic or aero bars to the commuter.

Edit: I also wouldn't dream of putting a whale tail on a 911.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 06-21-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
so only 7 pedal bike rides to work??

but to add something productive, man, i wish my wife was more okay with the idea of a motorcycle for commuting... i'd imagine ultimately safer on my normal bike-ridden commute, just having the extra oomph and not being passed by people..
Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 AM

It's like saddles or tires.

Change it how you like. It's your ride, enjoy it.

I'm retired from the MC world. No more for me, but I always like to see others enjoy them. So go have fun!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
you keep some pretty detailed records huh christian?

and i do readily admit i'm going to be a fair weather motorcyclist, i dont see myself purposely riding this thing in the rain. that said, my mind is pretty much made up that i'm not putting any additional money into this bike on anything but basic maintenance and upkeep, so the rear fender will stay.

doing the first oil change this weekend as a matter of fact. i do love honda's, all the parts are silly cheap. woo hoo.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
+1

leave it stock (and quiet), enjoy your commute and great fuel savings.
some idiot will knock it over on you while it's parked and the plastic will get all banged up. no worries, it's a "commuter", aka, generic
Old 06-21-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
you keep some pretty detailed records huh christian?

and i do readily admit i'm going to be a fair weather motorcyclist, i dont see myself purposely riding this thing in the rain. that said, my mind is pretty much made up that i'm not putting any additional money into this bike on anything but basic maintenance and upkeep, so the rear fender will stay.

doing the first oil change this weekend as a matter of fact. i do love honda's, all the parts are silly cheap. woo hoo.
I thought I would be a fair weather rider too but a year in I found myself leaving for rides when it was raining.

I don't blame you about the fender. It was only a suggestion. The bike looks very nice the way it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
+1

leave it stock (and quiet), enjoy your commute and great fuel savings.
some idiot will knock it over on you while it's parked and the plastic will get all banged up. no worries, it's a "commuter", aka, generic
Quiet is a good point. I had one loud bike (PO put pipe on) and I would have looked for something else if I held onto the bike longer (flipped it for profit)

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 06-21-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
dude...that only leaves 7 days for commuting via bike (or train)...

so much for NYT fact checking!!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I've never seen a difference riding with or without the rear fender and I've ridden in the rain and on wet roads.

I can't even begin to make that connection. I would say its like removing the civic badge on the truck lid or taking a dork disk off a commuter. Not nessisary, but better looking. Nothing like adding a useless wing to the civic or aero bars to the commuter.

Edit: I also wouldn't dream of putting a whale tail on a 911.
it's gotta be the right 911 as in turbo
Old 06-21-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownjewelwl View Post
it's gotta be the right 911 as in turbo
I'm fine with a whale tail on a 930, but in my opinion, the 911 looks better with either the normal deck lid or a ducktail. The whale tail just doesn't feel right on a narrow body.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:55 AM

My helmet is loud enough that I can't hear my motor over 50 mph. I dislike loud exhausts, but I find myself in 4th sometimes when I should be in 6th, and vice versa.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
I'm fine with a whale tail on a 930, but in my opinion, the 911 looks better with either the normal deck lid or a ducktail. The whale tail just doesn't feel right on a narrow body.
I don't mind the whaletail on the narrow body, but the sushi tray is obviously out of the question. That said, I've never had a 911 with a wing.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:22 PM

Rear fenders are also to prevent your tire from throwing rocks onto the vehicle behind you. I think removing rear fenders on a street bike is evidence of an unthinking (he didn't know) or uncaring (no concern for others) rider.