Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Campy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T
We're not discussing grey market. Shipping to a UK US Service Center is no more time consuming than shipping to a US Service Center. Might cost a little bit more, and take a little more time to get there, but if this is offset by savings in the purchase price, then it might be worth it.

FYI: Campagnolo limited warranty
How about I buy a group from Velomine, you purchase yours from the UK or wherever it's coming from. I'll support what's left of an economy here..we both get the same group and who knows why but we have the same warranty problem. I take mine to my LBS and you ship yours back to wherever it came from..most likely I will be safer and get mine quicker..I think you're taking what Akelman said too literally.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Tom fKB

Personally I like Velomine because I can get 10-speed parts, cheap and without the drama associated with some online retailers.

It's later than you think.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:14 PM

What I don't understand is why you (Tony T) are arguing with people who are simply stating they think it more convenient to deal with a US retailer, being US-based customers. It's not a big deal.

Quote:
We're not discussing grey market. Shipping to a UK US Service Center is no more time consuming than shipping to a US Service Center. Might cost a little bit more, and take a little more time to get there, but if this is offset by savings in the purchase price, then it might be worth it.

FYI: Campagnolo limited warranty

So, the warranty will be honored by Campy if bought in the UK, you just have to send it to a UK Service Center ("8. PROCEDURE: In the event of a defect covered by this warranty, the purchaser should contact an authorized Campagnolo Service Center of the nation where the retail sale occurred ")
Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Campy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
What I don't understand is why you (Tony T) are arguing with people who are simply stating they think it more convenient to deal with a US retailer, being US-based customers. It's not a big deal.
Well stated..I wasn't trying to argue Tony, it's just more convenient for me to purchase here and spend a little more to keep things local. Cheers guys.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I don't understand, are you saying that Campy does not honor their product if it is sold in the UK?

Each item has a tracking code, if the code shows it's not a 'standard' distribution route(gray or black market)-> no warranty. In addition, I've seen a few UK Campagnolo items where that little tag is scratched off->no warranty.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Campy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe
Each item has a tracking code, if the code shows it's not a 'standard' distribution route(gray or black market)-> no warranty. In addition, I've seen a few UK Campagnolo items where that little tag is scratched off->no warranty.
Trust this guy ^. He know's all things Italian and Campagnolo.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedNotBroken
How about I buy a group from Velomine, you purchase yours from the UK or wherever it's coming from. I'll support what's left of an economy here..we both get the same group and who knows why but we have the same warranty problem. I take mine to my LBS and you ship yours back to wherever it came from..most likely I will be safer and get mine quicker..I think you're taking what Akelman said too literally.
Not discussing Mail order vs LBS. (and anyway, you'll still have to send your defect parts to a US Service Center, so save your receipt!), we're discussing how there is no loss of warranty by buying from UK mail-order.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Ribble all the way...

I have been gathering 11 spd alloy Athena bits together as I have the cash for my current modern classic build in progress. I have purchased everything thru Ribble when they have their Campagnolo sales. They have the best interweb pricing. I have compared them all incl velomine. No one can touch them. I asked my good friend who used to own a LBS and was a campagnolo pro shop how they are even less than his COST price. He said the import duties are passed along to the consumer, plus factor in markup and the middle man distributor and there you go. I have no problem purchasing from Ribble. Free fast shipping, no VAT, no tax. Never have had an issue. What is all this warranty talk? I have never had to warranty a campagnolo product and run Campagnolo on all my bikes. I tend to support my local economy in many ways incl my LBS but when it comes to hundreds of dollars on a Campagnolo gruppo, I am going to go Ribble everytime...and all that money I saved...I will spend it right here on this forum buying all of y'alls various items in the classifieds section!

- John Muir
Old 03-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Campy Nut

Quote:
Not discussing Mail order vs LBS. (and anyway, you'll still have to send your defect parts to a US Service Center, so save your receipt!), we're discussing how there is no loss of warranty by buying from UK mail-order.
I was using it as an example..good luck. Talk to OldPotato..I am sure he has warrantied parts many times and has dealt with customers who purchased products from the UK.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I'm "arguing" with people who are saying that if you buy from the UK, you lose the Campy Warranty. As I've demonstrated, the warranty is not "lost"
Old 03-08-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedNotBroken
Well stated..I wasn't trying to argue Tony, it's just more convenient for me to purchase here and spend a little more to keep things local. Cheers guys.
I agree with you that you regarding staying local, but take a trip to your LBS and support them. The discussion was US Mail Order vs UK Mail Order as it relates to the Campy Warranty.
Campy Nut

Quote:
Tony, I would pay to read/hear an argument between OldPotato on this issue.
tailgunning

Quote:
I'm "arguing" with people who are saying that if you buy from the UK, you lose the Campy Warranty. As I've demonstrated, the warranty is not "lost"
and we're all saying that you *might* lose that warranty, as there's no guarantee that ribble or shiny are selling legitimate non-grey market product (while velomine guarantees they are).
Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Campy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner
and we're all saying that you *might* lose that warranty, as there's no guarantee that ribble or shiny are selling legitimate non-grey market product (while velomine guarantees they are).
+1
Old 03-08-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I have not seen any of this with probikekit.com.
And there is no guarantee that if you buy on-line in the US that you won't have the same problem.

So, buy from your LBS, and please, stay away from the internet! ;-)
Closed Thread