Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2024, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
BRP is definitely one.
I’ve always thought Chief Joseph Highway would be amazing. Maybe sketchy dangerous.
I have wanted to do Chief Joseph but the timing hasn't worked out. I've driven it several times. We live in Worland, WY, in the summer so it's only 90 minutes away. FWIW, I have seen many cyclists riding it.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:38 PM

I would second the Blue Ridge Pkwy. I rode the section north of Asheville and it was spectacular!
Old 04-29-2024, 02:57 PM

I concur with the recommendations for Acadia National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville. Both are best ridden off-season (pre-Memorial Day and between Labor Day and Columbus Day). Lots of vehicle traffic during prime summer and autumn (leaf peeping) seasons. Alternately, ride at dawn and beat the crowds.

Greg
Old 04-29-2024, 04:37 PM

Mt Lemmon Highway

This is an excllent ride from Tucson in the Sonoran desert to an alpine (>9000’ ) elevation, so you pass through several different climate zones. Spectacular views along the way. It’s a long climb but not excessively steep.

Sky Island Parkway National Scenic Byway:
https://nsbfoundation.com/nb/sky-isl...alina-highway/
Old 04-29-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab View Post
This is an excllent ride from Tucson in the Sonoran desert to an alpine (>9000’ ) elevation, so you pass through several different climate zones. Spectacular views along the way. It’s a long climb but not excessively steep.

Sky Island Parkway National Scenic Byway:
https://nsbfoundation.com/nb/sky-isl...alina-highway/
PJamm has Mount Lemmon as the most scenic climb in the U.S. Definitely on the list. https://pjammcycling.com/zone/223.US...ic-Bike-Climbs
Old 04-29-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I concur with the recommendations for Acadia National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville. Both are best ridden off-season (pre-Memorial Day and between Labor Day and Columbus Day). Lots of vehicle traffic during prime summer and autumn (leaf peeping) seasons. Alternately, ride at dawn and beat the crowds.

Greg
Agree about Acadia in the off season. My cycling club buddies always make a pilgrimage every April in the brief window when the Loop Road is free of ice and snow but remains closed to cars. So great to ride it car free, especially the climb and descent of Cadillac mountain using the whole road to carve the corners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2550.jpg (147.9 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3923.jpg (148.1 KB, 164 views)
Old 04-30-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
Agree about Acadia in the off season. My cycling club buddies always make a pilgrimage every April in the brief window when the Loop Road is free of ice and snow but remains closed to cars. So great to ride it car free, especially the climb and descent of Cadillac mountain using the whole road to carve the corners.
I visited Acadia during the summer of 2020. For a brief period during the pandemic, the state of Maine only allowed visitors from a limited number of states. The cycling in the park was fantastic, both on the paved loop road and on the carriage roads. One day I rode at least 1/2 of the loop road without seeing one car.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is sometimes closed due to snow spring and fall. I rode the section from Asheville to Mount Mitchell State Park a few days after a spring snow storm. The road was closed to vehicles, but the snow had melted and the road was open to bikes. It was definitely one of the best cycling days of my life!

Greg
Old 04-30-2024, 01:51 PM

Lotta GREAT-LOOKING rides here. I've ridden all over Gettysburg a bajillion times, and have ridden the entire length of the Blue ridge Pkwy and Skyline Drive. Would not ride the BRP again, however. Too many RVs and no shoulders.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Lotta GREAT-LOOKING rides here. I've ridden all over Gettysburg a bajillion times, and have ridden the entire length of the Blue ridge Pkwy and Skyline Drive. Would not ride the BRP again, however. Too many RVs and no shoulders.
Otay,
If you rode all over Gettysburg a "bajillion" times, and the entire length of Skyline Drive, at least once, you must agree that they are great areas for rides. You may not want to repeat them, but they must stand out as top notch.

I don't know how Skyline Drive is now because, at 71, and now with 6 broken ribs, that ride has not happened recently, and is not happening anytime soon. It has always been a seasonal thing though - summer vacation time = a bunch of vacationers like BRP, but they are moving slowly on the Drive. Other times of the year are not so bad with traffic. At least, that is what I remember.

Dave

Last edited by dcama5; 04-30-2024 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
Otay,
If you rode all over Gettysburg a "bajillion" times, and the entire length of Skyline Drive, at least once, you must agree that they are great areas for rides. You may not want to repeat them, but they must stand out as top notch.

I don't know how Skyline Drive is now because, at 71, and now with 6 broken ribs, that ride has not happened recently, and is not happening anytime soon. It has always been a seasonal thing though - summer vacation time = a bunch of vacationers like BRP, but they are moving slowly on the Drive. Other times of the year are not so bad with traffic. At least, that is what I remember.

Dave
I hear ya, Dave. The Gettysburg area is indeed really nice. Having lived in MD for many years, I was always up there on weekend group rides and sponsored events. And the BRP is hard to beat for beauty. In fact, as a northern kid, I fell in love with the southern Blue Ridge on my first trip down here many years ago. It's where I hope to retire later this year. So, we'll see what the next chapter holds for riding around here.....

I tell you though: some of these pics in this thread have me about ready for a road trip!
Old 04-30-2024, 04:44 PM

Highway 44 South Dakota

This road runs more or less parallel to the interstate and it’s just a two lane motorcycle type highway. You’ll see a few big rigs but it’s oh so very quiet. Also decent free or cheap camping in a few “city” (lol) parks along the way .. it’ll take you clear across the state east and west all the way from the badlands to just south of Sioux Falls, SD . If traveling across SD this is the way to go. I rode it in its entirety in 2012 on a cross country ride. 10/10 would recommend if going through the state.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:19 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhurley View Post
This road runs more or less parallel to the interstate and it’s just a two lane motorcycle type highway. You’ll see a few big rigs but it’s oh so very quiet. Also decent free or cheap camping in a few “city” (lol) parks along the way .. it’ll take you clear across the state east and west all the way from the badlands to just south of Sioux Falls, SD . If traveling across SD this is the way to go. I rode it in its entirety in 2012 on a cross country ride. 10/10 would recommend if going through the state.
That's interesting. I was advised in no uncertain terms while touring in 2008 to avoid riding a bicycle solo through the South Dakota reservations when faced with the option of southern SD or northern Nebraska. Nebraska definitely wasn't a highlight but I chose it for safety reasons at the time.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:58 PM

Skyline/Blue Ridge and it's not even close. The lookouts are unparalleled. But yeah, lots of traffic and not a lot of room. Brutally hilly, esp if you take the turnoff for Mt. Mitchell. However the air is utterly beautiful - rich pine mountain air. The clouds squeeze over the tops of the mountain and envelope you. Just make DAMN sure you have enough water - there isn't so much as a gas station nearby in some of the sections.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:07 AM

US 550/Million-Dollar Highway between Durango/Silverton/Ouray CO is an amazing ride in either direction.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrik4 View Post
US 550/Million-Dollar Highway between Durango/Silverton/Ouray CO is an amazing ride in either direction.
It’s gorgeous and fun to ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1004.jpg (151.9 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0948.jpg (151.5 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0982.jpg (150.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1011.jpg (147.6 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1002.jpg (151.0 KB, 130 views)