Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2024, 11:51 AM

PM me

Send me a PM and we can discuss.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:00 PM

Ann Arbor is where I got into cycling as an adult, post college (well, not quite an adult...). For me, an "epic" ride was from my house near downtown, out to the Potowatomi Trail, ride that, then ride home. I did it on my Bstone X0-1 with 1.5 or 1.75 inch tires. It's a technical trail because of roots and rocks, but doable, and the whole thing makes for a great ride.

I miss that town. Good for you for moving there. It's a good place.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxharth View Post
Ann Arbor is where I got into cycling as an adult, post college (well, not quite an adult...). For me, an "epic" ride was from my house near downtown, out to the Potowatomi Trail, ride that, then ride home. I did it on my Bstone X0-1 with 1.5 or 1.75 inch tires. It's a technical trail because of roots and rocks, but doable, and the whole thing makes for a great ride.

I miss that town. Good for you for moving there. It's a good place.
Ann Arbor is also where I began cycling to improve my mental health during graduate school. So many good memories on those roads. Some of my favorites:

--Morning rides out Huron River Drive to Dexter, Chelsea, Cavanaugh Lake, Waterloo, Grass Lake, beyond . . .

--My typical circuit for interval work: north out of Ann Arbor on Whitmore Lake Road ---> 7 Mile Road ---> Pontiac Trail ---> Home

--Ill-fated group rides from Ann Arbor into Detroit and Back

--Riding to Hell and Back . . .

Great trails for scooting around in town (and between towns) as well.

I loved the solitude of the long straight country roads. Measuring the passage of summer by the height of the corn in the fields. Apple Cider doughnuts on autumn rides. Listening to the frogs in the marshy fields. Watching the mist rise as dawn turned into day.

Great memories. Great place to ride (no climbing to speak of, but you can find headwinds to give you a workout if you're determined).

I'll end by echoing the recommendations of others--AAVC puts on a great group ride. Discovered many of my routes west of town by tagging along with smaller groups breaking off from their Saturday rides.