Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2024, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyzemup View Post
What was his name? My dad grew up in Guttenburg. My dad refers to Clayton county as "God's Country". The only county in the state that doesn't have a stop light. I think the NE portion of Iowa is the best part of the state, extremely underrated.

OP if you end up moving to Dubuque make the venture to Clayton county and ride some of the gravel roads. Some of the best gravel roads in the country IMO.
The start of the Dairy Roubaix , gravel, starts within a 2 hour drive from there. I’m riding it this year and have several other years, pre-Covid. Great ride with nice sags, challenging gravel, climbs and descents, plus sponsored by a great brewery. Noting like a well done cool down beer.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:32 AM

People get far too wrapped up around taxes. I live in one of the western Chicago suburbs and while taxes are generally considered high, so are the things they pay for. The trail and park system here is great. Infrastructure is actually maintained. School systems are very good, etc. There’s no political statement here but often you get what you pay for and as mentioned, IL has some retirement tax relief that most folks are unaware of.

I have a friend who has lived in River Falls, WI after having spent decades in the La Crosse area. I know from first hand experience that the cycling is outstanding in those areas along the Mississippi River. Are winters tough? Yup. Get over it! Or go away for a month during the toughest time, which is probably January.

I can’t comment specifically on Dubuque but I have now ridden RAGBRAI the past three years and in 2022 it finished in Lansing, IA just to the north and that final day riding through the driftless area was by far the nicest riding of the whole event that year.

One thing to consider WRT cycling - check out the river crossings. For example, the bridge from Lansing to Wisconsin look sketchy as heck for a bicycle and crossings aren’t necessarily plentiful. A quick zoom into Dubuque makes me think there are only a couple crossings there. I’d definitely check out the bike friendliness of these crossings before committing to an area.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post

One thing to consider WRT cycling - check out the river crossings. For example, the bridge from Lansing to Wisconsin look sketchy as heck for a bicycle and crossings aren’t necessarily plentiful. A quick zoom into Dubuque makes me think there are only a couple crossings there. I’d definitely check out the bike friendliness of these crossings before committing to an area.
You are correct about the crossing in Lansing, it's an open steel grate, you can see the water through the grate as you ride on the bridge. Slick all the time and very slick when wet but it's quite a ways from Dubuque. I have ridden all of the crossings near Dubuque except the new bridge in Sabula. US 61 between WI and IA is 55 mph but has a wide shoulder. The US 20 bridge is 2 lanes and narrow. I have heard from very reliable friends that the new bridge in Sabula is quite nice and cycling friendly, the old one was another open steel grate bridge.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
People get far too wrapped up around taxes.
Too wrapped up? Silly comment IMO.

I don't know the tax landscape in the midwest at all, but here where I live property taxes are quite high, easily one of my highest monthly expenses.

Most people need to plan for retirement, which includes putting priorities into consideration, as well as expenses. Once you retire, your income is usually fixed, how can you not consider taking taxes into consideration, when they very well could be one of the highest annual recurring expenses you will see?

Having watched friends and family retire and grow into old age, I think a priority would be (for me), close access to friends and family, close access to world class healthcare (hope you never need it, but when you do, you do...) Look at our pal Keith for example: He suffered a TBI and is now spending months in an airbnb away from his home to be cared for in a good institution. This is both costly and inconvenient, and the chances of needing good healthcare obviously go up as we get older....
Old 02-14-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

I don't know the tax landscape in the midwest at all, but here where I live property taxes are quite high, easily one of my highest monthly expenses.

Most people need to plan for retirement, which includes putting priorities into consideration, as well as expenses. Once you retire, your income is usually fixed, how can you not consider taking taxes into consideration, when they very well could be one of the highest annual recurring expenses you will see?

Having watched friends and family retire and grow into old age, I think a priority would be (for me), close access to friends and family, close access to world class healthcare (hope you never need it, but when you do, you do...) Look at our pal Keith for example: He suffered a TBI and is now spending months in an airbnb away from his home to be cared for in a good institution. This is both costly and inconvenient, and the chances of needing good healthcare obviously go up as we get older....
Yep.

Those of us in the NY-NJ-CT-MA have seen the inexorable march of taxes (and user fees for things like bridges) -- and at least in our area see very little benefit. Our local roads in NY are seriously worse than the ones I rode on in Hungary (that had recently joined the EU and was still showing the depressed living standards of the East Bloc when we were there). Our public schools are in disarray (middle class families put their kids in private parochial schools as a matter of course). What benefits from the State government flow to boondoggle projects run by friends of the governing class upstate, or are hoovered up by the explosion of overpaid "civil" servants and their pension/healthcare costs dwarfed only by their salaries.

I really wouldn't mind living somewhere else where the social contract is not quite so broken.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
People get far too wrapped up around taxes. I live in one of the western Chicago suburbs and while taxes are generally considered high, so are the things they pay for. The trail and park system here is great. Infrastructure is actually maintained. School systems are very good, etc. There’s no political statement here but often you get what you pay for and as mentioned, IL has some retirement tax relief that most folks are unaware of.

I have a friend who has lived in River Falls, WI after having spent decades in the La Crosse area. I know from first hand experience that the cycling is outstanding in those areas along the Mississippi River. Are winters tough? Yup. Get over it! Or go away for a month during the toughest time, which is probably January.

I can’t comment specifically on Dubuque but I have now ridden RAGBRAI the past three years and in 2022 it finished in Lansing, IA just to the north and that final day riding through the driftless area was by far the nicest riding of the whole event that year.

I generally agree.
Sometimes I joke that I am one of those 5 folks in the US who does not complain about taxes.
For me, as long as taxes are used wisely and for the common good, I have no problem paying my share.
The problem with IL is that the state is in such bad shape that the future tax situation is not predictable.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyzemup View Post
What was his name? My dad grew up in Guttenburg. My dad refers to Clayton county as "God's Country".
Your dad is mistaken. God's Country is Hondo, Texas. It's literally on the sign!

Old 02-14-2024, 09:44 AM

I'm getting ready to retire to the Blue Ridge in western NC later this year, in part because of the natural beauty of the landscape which I fell in love with since I was a kid, and also because there is an enclave here and there of cultural things and people that I like - including a very good cycling community. That said, I've lived throughout a lot of the rural mid-south for >20 years and it's all bible beltish - everywhere and especially these days - with respect to both politics and religion. You cannot easily escape that, but rather, you'll likely just have to find a niche and weigh the various trade-offs at each place. GL.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Obviously people need to plan around it. I plan around it too. When I moved to Illinois I knew what I was getting into and have zero regrets as of right now. And I came here about 5 years ago. I probably won’t stay here in retirement but it’s not because of the taxes that I would leave.

When I made the move I did a quick search on “overall tax burden by state”. Turns out the so-called free states aren’t quite as free as they think and not all the crazy tax states are as bad as they’re purported to be. Everyone needs to do their own research and decide what works best for them. Taxes are part of that equation.

Anyway, I don’t wish to go off on that tangent. My point is that yes, people need to plan for this but an obsession with it isn’t usually where happiness is found.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
When I made the move I did a quick search on “overall tax burden by state”. Turns out the so-called free states aren’t quite as free as they think and not all the crazy tax states are as bad as they’re purported to be.
The man always gets his money, and while you're working I think its a fair point to let other factors drive where you want to live.
Old 02-14-2024, 11:00 AM

Great thread! Our kids are on their way to leaving the nest which is making us think about alternatives to Austin. The Driftless area has been of particular interest - especially around Dubuque and North into Southeastern MN. Lot's of cool towns/small cities in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I'm getting ready to retire to the Blue Ridge in western NC later this year, in part because of the natural beauty of the landscape which I fell in love with since I was a kid, and also because there is an enclave here and there of cultural things and people that I like - including a very good cycling community. That said, I've lived throughout a lot of the rural mid-south for >20 years and it's all bible beltish - everywhere and especially these days - with respect to both politics and religion. You cannot easily escape that, but rather, you'll likely just have to find a niche and weigh the various trade-offs at each place. GL.
I'd love to know what town/area you're thinking about. My daughter was recently accepted to Wake Forest and now we've been looking more into that area as a result. Winston-Salem seems like a decent area that we had never really thought about before. Maybe that's an option for us in the future as well...

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 02-14-2024 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryscientist View Post
too wrapped up? Silly comment imo.

I don't know the tax landscape in the midwest at all, but here where i live property taxes are quite high, easily one of my highest monthly expenses.

Having watched friends and family retire and grow into old age, i think a priority would be (for me), close access to friends and family, close access to affordable world class healthcare (hope you never need it, but when you do, you do...) look at our pal keith for example: He suffered a tbi and is now spending months in an airbnb away from his home to be cared for in a good institution. This is both costly and inconvenient, and the chances of needing good healthcare obviously go up as we get older....
Well, going back to Europe is another option we seriously consider, maybe the only viable one after November.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Great thread! Our kids are on their way to leaving the nest which is making us think about alternatives to Austin. The Driftless area has been of particular interest - especially around Dubuque and North into Southeastern MN. Lot's of cool towns/small cities in the area.

I'd love to know what town/area you're thinking about. My daughter was recently accepted to Wake Forest and now we've been looking more into that area as a result. Winston-Salem seems like a decent area that we had never really thought about before. Maybe that's an option for us in the future as well...

Texbike
Funny you mentioned that. I had a colleague when I worked at NIST (mid- MD) who was getting to check out Montana, Idaho, Wyoming. I suggested that he check out Asheville, NC and - boom! - next thing I know he bought house there and retired! Winston-Salem is on the Piedmont and not the Blue Ridge which is a deal breaker for me, but on balance, it's not bad. University environment with close proximity to Greensboro, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, middle VA, the coast, and the Blue Ridge. I used to think I'd try for Asheville myself, but while it has a lot going for it, it's gotten too crowded and expensive. I'll probably wind up in the boonies somewhere centered within ~40-50 mi around Asheville as the mountain landscape really drives me. Perhaps Brevard (great cycling center) or Saluda, or Waynesville, or something like that.

You'll never escape the bible belt thing if that's important to you, but on balance, NC is OTay BW in my book - especially if you like BBQ....
GL
Old 02-14-2024, 02:37 PM
Older Than You

I lived in Iowa for 20 years just down the river from Dubuque in Clinton. This was back in the 40's & 50's so I have no current info on taxes.

The Dubuque area is very scenic. When visiting relatives I motorcycled in that region including the Lansing bridge. It felt like I had a hinge in the middle of my motorcycle.

My big complaint was the long cold winters. I can remember driving to work in the dark and driving home in the dark. Not very many hours of sunlight in the winter.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Perhaps Brevard (great cycling center) or Saluda, or Waynesville, or something like that.
When we "retired" we moved from Maryland DC burb to Triangle, NC. We wanted some place south of D.C. (not FL) with top tier healthcare, a decent airport, large enough for variety but less chaotic than D.C./Atlanta.

We head out to the NC mountains once a year or more.....most recently Brevard, Flat Rock and Saluda. Saluda for a gravel race. Nice little town. So is Brevard. Been to Boone too for cycling events.

Went to the Waynesville area once.....let's just say the Asheville, Brevard, Saluda triangle is the sweet spot in western NC.