Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2024, 09:45 PM

I got saddles sores and numbness on the trainer. I went with a rocker plate and that was a huge improvement.

I would recommend you drop your saddle a touch to minimize rocking on the saddle. And you can either raise your bars or drop the nose of your saddle to help with the numbness. While there is an argument for mimicking your outdoor position, that is not nearly as important as being comfortable so you can ride indoors longer.

Using a saddle with a big cutout might help, and as a bonus, you'll get more airflow as well as blood flow to your nether regions.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:53 AM

I'm another vote for putting it on a rocker plate. 1 hour was really my limit on the trainer before, lots of standing/fidgeting if any workout called for longer and 90 minutes was my absolute max I could tolerate. With the rocker plate it's really just my mental stamina to keep staying on, comfort isn't an issue and I've been knocking out the 2/2.5 hour workouts with relative ease.

The TurboRocks was the cheapest, fully assembled rocker I found with fore and aft movement. Not sure if it's compatible with the Stages since the front narrows though.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:29 PM

Same saddle, but choice of bibs can make a big difference.

Indoors I use less padded bibs for high intensity rides (effort on pedals creates some lift and less saddle pressure)

Low intensity rides I uses shorts made for indoor riding which have a thicker chamois. Endurance bibs would also work.

Of course overall chamois quality matters too.

I used to think I could use old or lower quality bibs indoors due to relatively shorter durations, but ended up finding I need just as high quality bibs as outdoor rides.