Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2024, 07:31 PM

Prefer to keep the same saddle on both (but went with the "cheaper" Ti railed version on the trainer). Spend too much time on a trainer indoors to be uncomfortable...for me comfort is one of those areas where it pays to invest...
Old 02-12-2024, 07:33 PM

A few years ago when I was riding indoors a lot over the winter, I ended up changing saddles. Different Fizik models. Kept the indoor one on the bike once I was riding outside again, but soon went back to the one that was on the bike in the fall before moving indoors.

I think you're much more stationary on the indoor bike. Right, maybe that's why it's called a stationary bike, ya'think?
Old 02-12-2024, 07:53 PM
Sunshine

I use Brooks c17 saddles on all my drip bar bikes.
My trainer bike has a Serfas RXRR saddle. It's the same width as a c17, is 2 individual 'wings' for decent flexing, and has some padding.

Works well for me to have a very similar but slightly different saddle.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:14 PM

I know that the answer is to change up the saddle and see how it goes. The SB20 isn't going to go on a rocker plate and the saddle is level. Anyway, my particular challenge is that I share the SB20 with my 13yo and sometimes others in the family. Too bad it doesn't use a traditional seat post to be able to change saddles quickly.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:33 PM

Thumbs up

I put an SQLab active saddle on my SB20, forget the model, maybe the 60X @ 150mm wide?

The active version of the saddle has elastomers that allow you to dial in a little side to side movement. The little amount of “give” made a huge difference for me. There are times I don’t feel like putting on a pair of bike shorts and with this new saddle I have zero issues knocking out 1.5 hours on the SB20 in basketball shorts.

On another note, this is my 3rd year on the SB20 and it has been faultless the entire time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
This winter I've been rocking the indoor trainer for a lot of miles. I am on the very heavy and solid Stages SB20, so that thing isn't moving at all when I pedal. And I really am starting to get uncomfortable on the saddle. Too much pressure up front on the perineum.

It occurred to me that since weight isn't an issue on the stationary bike, why am I not using a big comfy padded saddle on the trainer?

Do any of you use a different, more padded saddle on the indoor trainer to make your winter miles more comfy?
Old 02-12-2024, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pff View Post
I use a different saddle on my more upright bikes as compared to where I'm in a more aggressive position. (Specifically, Ergon road saddle on the road and Fizik Argo Tempo on MTB.)

Since I run my trainer bike with 3cm less saddle to bar drop than my outdoor bikes, and since I rarely if ever get low, I use an Argo on the indoor bike. And yea, I bought the cheapest version for indoors since weight is not an issue.

Since the Stealth Pro was mentioned, the Argo is pretty much the exact same shape but with a more agreeable amount of padding. I could only survive 1 hour outdoors or inside with the stealth pro.
Wasn’t it Fizik who made different saddles for different positions, more upright vs lower?
Old 02-12-2024, 10:01 PM

Indoor trainer

I spend a lot of time on the indoor trainer. Things that helped deal with saddle pain include buying a rocker plate and a Specialized 3D printed saddle. Now my feet are the rate limiting factor!
Old 02-12-2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Will View Post
I spend a lot of time on the indoor trainer. Things that helped deal with saddle pain include buying a rocker plate and a Specialized 3D printed saddle. Now my feet are the rate limiting factor!
Good point about feet. I’m pretty sure I caused or developed a neuroma last winter from a lot of trainer time. Riding the same bike with the same cleats and pedals I’d been riding for years, and a pair of shoes I’d been wearing for 6 months with no prior issues. Seems like the factors of constant power (no coasting or resting) combined with never getting up or down in and out of the saddle left too much constant pressure there. Now it’s still irritated a year later even after 6 weeks totally off the bike (and also totally off that foot) after breaking the same leg, and getting a steroid shot in the nerve late last year.

Riding the trainer a lot for extended durations? Coast every once in a while, get in and out of the saddle, stretch and move.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:47 PM

Thanks all, lots to look into on this thread.

The ways we suffer for our hobbies!!
Old 02-13-2024, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexihnen View Post
I know that the answer is to change up the saddle and see how it goes. The SB20 isn't going to go on a rocker plate and the saddle is level. Anyway, my particular challenge is that I share the SB20 with my 13yo and sometimes others in the family. Too bad it doesn't use a traditional seat post to be able to change saddles quickly.
Perhaps you mean you just don't want to use a rocker plate, but lots of people have used one with their SB20.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:15 AM

barely related, but I went to the rec centre gym last night and rode a stationary bike on a lark and damn, my bits were sore after 20minutes of sitting on a cheap junk saddle. Its incredible how quickly my body said 'this wont do'.

Since you sit more indoors, I would think a more padded saddle would be preferred?
Old 02-13-2024, 02:45 PM

lower the saddle or raise the front wheel?

IIRC a member named TiGuy (?) (from MIT or Harvard??) posted a number of videos about saddle height and pedaling technique. One of my take-aways from his posts and videos was that weighting the pedals by lowering the saddle improved efficiency, muscle use and power. It also results in your feet supporting more of your body weight, which means less pressure on the perineum. YMMV but I found lowering the saddle had a number of benefits.

Also, I found that raising the front wheel (less than an inch) helps reduce pressure when on the rollers.

HTH
Old 02-13-2024, 03:19 PM

Good God, that Ali Express site is a disaster. I can't make heads nor tails of anything I'm looking at on there.

They said it was impossible to make an uglier site than Amazon, but AliExpress has taken the challenge and succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa
There are other versions with the same shape that are more like 150-155mm. Just search for Ryet 3d. There are 2 versions of the padding, the one pictured is the latest which is supposedly a little softer yet than the earlier version that I actually have (seller doesn't have my version now). You can differentiate by the little x in the holes on the newer version. Haven't tried it yet but have one on the way.
The Stealth is like a power with less rocker and a wider, more forgiving nose. I can move around a bit on a Stealth, on a Power I was stuck in one spot.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
Good point about feet. I’m pretty sure I caused or developed a neuroma last winter from a lot of trainer time. Riding the same bike with the same cleats and pedals I’d been riding for years, and a pair of shoes I’d been wearing for 6 months with no prior issues. Seems like the factors of constant power (no coasting or resting) combined with never getting up or down in and out of the saddle left too much constant pressure there. Now it’s still irritated a year later even after 6 weeks totally off the bike (and also totally off that foot) after breaking the same leg, and getting a steroid shot in the nerve late last year.

Riding the trainer a lot for extended durations? Coast every once in a while, get in and out of the saddle, stretch and move.
Yep. And pay attention if anything feels off. I ignored a little hot spot a few weeks ago and wound up with a ton of inflammation in the ball of my left foot that put me off the bike (and struggling to walk) for two weeks.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:02 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
This winter I've been rocking the indoor trainer for a lot of miles. I am on the very heavy and solid Stages SB20, so that thing isn't moving at all when I pedal. And I really am starting to get uncomfortable on the saddle. Too much pressure up front on the perineum.

It occurred to me that since weight isn't an issue on the stationary bike, why am I not using a big comfy padded saddle on the trainer?

Do any of you use a different, more padded saddle on the indoor trainer to make your winter miles more comfy?
one does maintain a more static position on a stationary trainer than on a road bike, so i guess it is possible to find some comfort issues at indoors riding with a saddle that is fine when ridden on the road.
Some saddle issues are just an initial problem and vanish with frequent usage, but as you say you ride on a regular basis, that will not be a solution.

You may certainly benefit from a more comfy saddle (although more padding has never worked for me; the more static the riding position is, the more likely it is that your pelvis bones or whichever part is the problem, compresses the padding at the contact spot and removes the effect)

I would first recommend a different approach: I myself noticed a giant leap in riding comfort the moment i put my trainer on a makeshift rocker plate (aka a piece of plywood on tennis balls). Immediately extended the duration of a comfy session by 2 from 1hr to 2hrs.