Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2024, 05:06 PM

Bike fitting - road versus gravel

I've got a Colnago Prestige cyclocross frame that I've been building up. Have not had a chance to actually ride it yet...

The standard frame measurements would suggest that it should fit -- seat and top tube.

But...given the higher bottom bracket, the top tube is 3/4" or maybe a bit more higher than that on a similar Colnago road bike. I have no standover clearance (ie the top tube presses into my chamois area, if you catch my drift.)

Am I going to feel the height of this frame as being awkward? My Dream 'cross frame was similarly sized and it felt a bit tall when traversing obstacles downhill.

This bike will be used for casual gravel riding, no 'cross racing...

My other 'cross and gravel bikes are smaller frames, so the top tube is lower.

And the Prestige has oversized tubing, so it feels like it might be awkward.

I really want to love this bike, but...

If it's not going to fit, I should probably cut my losses and sell it before I finish the build...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 02-09-2024 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:11 PM

Is this “old school” tall BB European cyclocross geometry? It might feel tall, but should fit fine, all else being equal. But yeah, if you want stand-over, a horizontal TT CX frame with a high BB isn’t going to do it.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:19 PM

I rode a 55 cm Poprad that was too tall for me for a couple of years. Same deal, my crotch did not quite clear the top bar when standing over the bike, but I felt ok on it. I did have to shorten the stem on it. I always felt very comfortable on the bike. When first getting on it, especially after riding a different bike, I felt like I was sitting quite tall, but that was short lived.
I made a trade with a forum member that had acquired a 52cm Poprad, but needed a 55. We both drove 60 miles to meet and make the trade. I felt the difference with the 52 immediately, the top bar was no longer a threat, I was more comfortable. I likely would have traded the 55 at some later point for a better fitting frame, if that trade had not happened.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Is this “old school” tall BB European cyclocross geometry? It might feel tall, but should fit fine, all else being equal. But yeah, if you want stand-over, a horizontal TT CX frame with a high BB isn’t going to do it.
Yes old school geometry. I have other, smaller CX bikes with horizontal bikes that I'd take anywhere, and couple of sloping tube bikes that fit pretty well...

I just remember riding that Dream CX and in certain situations, I felt a bit high up. I won't be in those situations on this bike.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-17-2024, 03:07 PM

If the touch points can be set to your fit measurements, I would try it out at least. I had a bike once with very little stand over clearance for casual riding (single speed cx bike) and was fine with it.

If you have hardly any exposed seatpost though, I may think twice. Aesthetically I wouldn't be able to get over that, and it would indicate it is the wrong geometry for you.