Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2024, 09:14 AM

Anyone try TPU vs Latex vs Butyl

I thought about dropping tubeless instead try TPU. Schwalbe has some nice tubes called Aerothan.

Compared to latex and butyl I don't see any negatives.

These are lighter than Butyl and latex. Rolling resistance on par with latex. Holds pressure longer. Higher puncture resistance.

Has anyone ridden and therefore has real life experience?

2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6
Old 02-06-2024, 09:35 AM

Ive used Vittoria and Pirelli TPU along side vittoria latex both in 28-30 corsa and corsa control
My completely unscientific feedback:
I think the ride quality with the vittoria tpu is better than the pirelli but still isnt quite up to latex ride IMO
The tpu have been very reliable and hold air longer than latex if thats a concern.
The TPU are obviously a good bit more expensive than latex or light butyl. The vittorias come with one patch and Ive had much better luck patching both tpus than Ive ever had with latex so that brings the cost closer.
TPUs do seem to hold their shape so if you use them in a large tire its a bit of a challenge to go smaller (eg 35m back to a 28mm)

Both the tpu tubes are available with longer valves so no need for valve extenders in most wheels which is nice, The vittoria one is nice in that its already coated so no clicking (but its a bright red)

Ive come back to latex after some bad experiences with them being fragile mounting. They definitely benefit from newer smooth carbon rims with no rim tape or sharp edges. havent had any issues .

i still use a conti race lite as a spare since Ive had a weird couple instances with TPU and CO2.

So Ive settled into latex on all my shallow rims and anything 45mm or larger Im sticking with tpu until I use my supply and then we will see
Old 02-06-2024, 09:40 AM

Think there's another thread in the recent month or so. Ridenow on Aliexpress is the acknowledged budget version. I have 4-5 in various bikes and they're doing well. Haven't fully committed to switching over the whole stable.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:46 AM

I've used all 3.
Echo the comments above.
I would add that I and some other users have had random leaks with tpu tubes-not most, but you'll get the occassional tube that will lose air during the course of a ride or overnight with pretty much impossible to find pinhole leaks. Not a deal breaker but it happens, with everything from the big names to the cheapies like RideNow. In fact, I don't think there's any real difference between the brands.
One other thing-while tpu tubes may be sealant compatible, most of them do not have removable valve cores, so they're not practical for sealant use.
I do use tpu and carry a tpu spare tube.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:47 AM

I have, all of them, including tubeless.

Some folks would say, "it depends". That's garbage. For Gravel or Mtn bikes, don't bother with anything else but tubeless. Tubeless for offroad business only.

For road, I did latex and TPU. Latex is very good and rides nice, but it's porous and needs reflating every 5 minutes. The positive: Very few flats on latex, and it's repairable.

TPU won me over. It's so light you'll feel the difference. Similar to identical ride quality to latex. Very puncture resistant. The only drawback is you CANNOT use CO2 to inflate them. I learned it the horrible way this past summer. The TPU is basically a film-thin plastic - sudden drops in temperature will cause micro-fissures and it's gonna be flat after flat. Bring a pump, like a small/mini pump will do. You'll barely use it cause it's surprisingly flat resistant.

If you have light wheels with good clinchers (GP5000 or any of the Vittorias Graphene), the whole set will be the lightest option of all 3 (tubeless, latex, TPU).

EXAMPLE: I ride a steel Bianchi in the off season with light-ish aluminum wheels, TPU tubes and Gravel Kings 26mm. While negotiating traffic getting out of town, I hit a pothole that would normally cause snake bite flat. It didn't. Instead, it dented the rim (Bongrager RL wheels). I'm not light - 78kgs, and expected a hiss after the hit. None. Had to retrue the wheel at home.

Go to AliExpress and get 5 TPU tubes for under $40, if you don't mind waiting 2-3 weeks. They're also repairable.

Just remember: NO CO2!
Old 02-06-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghammer View Post
I have, all of them, including tubeless.

Some folks would say, "it depends". That's garbage. For Gravel or Mtn bikes, don't bother with anything else but tubeless. Tubeless for offroad business only.

For road, I did latex and TPU. Latex is very good and rides nice, but it's porous and needs reflating every 5 minutes. The positive: Very few flats on latex, and it's repairable.

TPU won me over. It's so light you'll feel the difference. Similar to identical ride quality to latex. Very puncture resistant. The only drawback is you CANNOT use CO2 to inflate them. I learned it the horrible way this past summer. The TPU is basically a film-thin plastic - sudden drops in temperature will cause micro-fissures and it's gonna be flat after flat. Bring a pump, like a small/mini pump will do. You'll barely use it cause it's surprisingly flat resistant.

If you have light wheels with good clinchers (GP5000 or any of the Vittorias Graphene), the whole set will be the lightest option of all 3 (tubeless, latex, TPU).

EXAMPLE: I ride a steel Bianchi in the off season with light-ish aluminum wheels, TPU tubes and Gravel Kings 26mm. While negotiating traffic getting out of town, I hit a pothole that would normally cause snake bite flat. It didn't. Instead, it dented the rim (Bongrager RL wheels). I'm not light - 78kgs, and expected a hiss after the hit. None. Had to retrue the wheel at home.

Go to AliExpress and get 5 TPU tubes for under $40, if you don't mind waiting 2-3 weeks. They're also repairable.

Just remember: NO CO2!
I didn't know that about the CO2 damaging them. But it does make sense that it would.

2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6
Old 02-06-2024, 10:19 AM

Good timing for a reminder!

I tried TPU last year on my road/gravel bike after a lifetime of butyl and a brief foray into latex tubes. I am too lazy to pump up tires every ride, but I do appreciate the light weight of latex, so TPU was a great solution. I eventually did ruin them beyond patch repair last season, but I was really happy overall.

I just placed another order for the Ride Now tubes via AliExpress. 4x 700x30ish for ~$20! I also picked up a single MTB 29er tube for another $8 so I can have a super light spare in case my tubeless setup completely fails.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghammer View Post
The only drawback is you CANNOT use CO2 to inflate them. I learned it the horrible way this past summer. The TPU is basically a film-thin plastic - sudden drops in temperature will cause micro-fissures and it's gonna be flat after flat. Bring a pump, like a small/mini pump will do. You'll barely use it cause it's surprisingly flat resistant.
I assume this also means you shouldn't use a compressor? Some of the AliExpress descriptions mention that, and based on what you said, it makes sense.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:46 AM

Lots of stories about the cheap TPU tubes having undetectable pinhole leaks in them. You can't put much pressure in them out of the tire because they deform and ruin the tube, which makes finding leaks (even under water) very hard to do. The name brand ones like Schwalbe are no doubt better, but are uber expensive. Repairability of these tubes is questionable too, as there are lots of reports about patches that don't work. Just not worth it, in my opinion unless you're a real weight weenie and don't mind dropping big money on your bike. And what's up with plastic valve stems (lack of durability, I would think)? Some even say "Not for rim brake bikes" because they can't take the heat.

Last edited by MikeD; 02-07-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:49 AM

I've started trying them in some bikes (Aliexpress versions in various sizes). They are definitely light and hold air much better than latex (and maybe even better than butyl). No issues yet but time will tell on durability. Like others I still have a mix of all of these.

Road race bike is still on latex and will likely stay that way (great luck with them over the years and always air this up every ride)
Road fixed is running TPU tubes now as I like the good air retention
My gravel and MTB run tubeless and carry pumps on the frame, I've switched to TPU spares as they are MUCH smaller and I can carry two in a little tool roll. Haven't had to call on these and would only try them if I was unable to plug the tire first.
Some lesser used commuter style bikes are still on butyl, may eventually swap these to TPU
I'm planning to switch my son's CX bike to TPU tubes as well to cut weight (tubeless is not an opton) also same for my wife's gravel bike (can sit long enough that sealant would dry)

Last edited by Wunder; 02-06-2024 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryun View Post
The vittorias come with one patch and Ive had much better luck patching both tpus than Ive ever had with latex so that brings the cost closer.
My trick to patching latex tubes is to cut patches from an old latex tube. Using standard patching kit glue… works very well.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeryman View Post
I eventually did ruin them beyond patch repair last season
What does "ruin" specifically mean? I'm asking for a fred ...

Last edited by Spinner; 02-06-2024 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:14 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

>Like to hear more about successful TPU patching/patches.

So far I have not flatted a TPU. Mostly a latex user for years. Agree TPU close enough to latex feel, not quite there.

Since I only ride on dedicated bike paths, and lucky enough here we have 50-80 miles rides away from cars and the debris in bike lanes. My flat occurrence is minimal. So I have not patched, tried yet.

Tubeless for me is for bigger tires 40+ and MTB. I have TL 30mm tires with TPUs on road. Also tubeless for me is lower pressure. If 80PSI in a road tire, the mess and repump, if it even seals after I forget to replenish. Much smaller mess to throw a new tube in. It is jyst IMO too many time atmosphere to not loose over 50% PSI when it does seal with fresher sealant, yada.

I don't mind baby sitting PSi, I want to know when I roll where it is at anyway. So many PSi attention bouts, VS the lesser tubeless sealant performance swings on freshness/rejuves has been my MO. Pick UR poison I guess. That's latex. TPU hold PSI great.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcycle View Post
I didn't know that about the CO2 damaging them. But it does make sense that it would.
Interesting, yeah I had no idea.

With that said, one of my neighbors was telling me that he went for a mtb ride the other day and flatted. He tried the "bacon" first and didn't have any luck, the hole was too big, so he busted out one of the two TPU tubes he had with him and it wouldn't hold air, so he got the second one out and had the same result, so he was walking back and someone gave him a regular tube and he was able to ride it home.

I figured that he was pinching the TPU tube somehow, or it had gotten rubbed in the pack, I didn't think about the CO2 freeze being a problem.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall View Post
I assume this also means you shouldn't use a compressor? Some of the AliExpress descriptions mention that, and based on what you said, it makes sense.
No, compressor air is fine. It's warm, if anything, not cold.