Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2024, 01:48 PM

Lightweight, packable wind jacket - need recs

Hi. I love my Velocio Ultralight wind jacket, but I would really like it in a high-viz color for solo rides. So of course Velocio stopped making it, or anyway replaced it with a different design.

The one I have has no insulation whatsoever, it's just a windbreaker jacket. It has no pockets in the rear, which means it packs down super small. But the thing that's great about it is that there are HUGE mesh panels down the sides and back, which makes it super-breathable! It also has a nice sturdy zipper. It's the perfect winter jacket and I would like another one, just in a high-viz color.

Can any of you recommend to me a nice packable, no pockets, wind jacket with super breathable mesh in the back, in a high-viz color (preferably orange)?

Thanks!!

(Here's a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.)

Old 02-04-2024, 02:21 PM

don't own one but this one has all mesh back

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...hoCfiYQAvD_BwE
Old 02-04-2024, 02:26 PM

I have one that was made by Giro, some kind of wind block material on the front 3/4 of the jacket, and arms. The back and underarms are perforated for moisture release. I use it a lot, and have had it for years.I am not sure what the wind block is made of, but it sure does help when there is a chilly wind.
I also have vest from Gore that is made from their Windstopper material, and it has a thin interior lining. This has 2 hand pockets which I very much like, and prefer.
There are actually a lot of good jackets and vests of that type. I have found that staying a way from "waterproof" material will help minimize moisture build up, especially material that has been treated, like DWR waterproofing. Moisture gets built up quickly, when it is windy and cool to cold, not a good scenario. The materials I have are water repellent, which helps when it is foggy/misty, and or, light rain for short term.
Old 02-04-2024, 02:31 PM

Checks all your requirements: https://www.pactimo.com/products/men...42425237962931
Old 02-04-2024, 02:35 PM
Administrator

I have the vest version of this, although in a different color, and it's a really great piece. I would expect the jacket to be as good.

https://www.cafeducycliste.com/en_us...cket-onyx.html
Old 02-04-2024, 04:24 PM

Not a bike jacket but literally my favorite layer, is the Mountain Hardwear Kor Airshell (I actually have the older pullover preshell). Pertex Quantum is awesome. It's my go to outer layer for touring.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:51 PM

I have this Voler jacket. The wholeback is like a mesh jersey material.Has pockets which adds to its heft. But still fits in jersey pocket. Also has 2 way zip which I like.

https://store.voler.com/products/101...42909456662718
Old 02-04-2024, 05:54 PM

from the famous Lo.gas brand

https://www.amazon.com/Lo-gas-Windbr...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Old 02-04-2024, 06:24 PM

The entire back is vented on this

https://www.giro.com/p/mens-chrono-e...800000024.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2024-02-04 at 6.24.13 PM.jpg (21.2 KB, 249 views)
Old 02-04-2024, 07:23 PM

Thanks folks. I'm a little skeptical that those "perforated" panels are actually going to give me enough ventilation. I run super hot and I really need actual vents, which is why I'm sort of hung up on the mesh idea. Any of you using these perforated panels that could weigh in? Thanks
Old 02-04-2024, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
Oh man, I just took a closer look and this looks like a winner. And on sale. Thank you.
Old 02-07-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
I ordered the pactimo jacket and received it yesterday. The medium size fit me well. If in doubt, the next size up might be needed. The only shortcoming is no built-in storage pocket, but it will fit in a jersey pocket or zip lock sandwich bag. This is the first high-vis item I've ever owned.
Old 02-07-2024, 03:46 PM

Voler wind jacket, here's my checklist.

Back mesh, front water repellent material.

Great fit, neither tight "race" that pulls and constricts my puffy but not fat torso, nor "club fit" that's loose in the wind, perfect in-between with a little stretch for comfort, cut for riding a road bike comfortably in the drops.

3 easy access pockets, large enough for my oversize phone, no damn zippers. Like a good jersey. Pockets are a must-have for me, agree to disagree

2 way snag proof zipper, easy zip while riding only requires 1 hand

Good colors (subjective) including a high viz green and my choice, the high viz orange "flame"

Super compact, more than most even with the extra pocket material

Made in California, no overseas abusive labor

Rarely on sale except extreme sizes but reasonable price at $110, buy smart and buy once

https://store.voler.com/collections/...42909455679678
Old 02-08-2024, 06:01 AM

Nothing to say you need a cycling specific jacket for this. Something like the montane featherlite windproof jacket is perfect for this, and vastly cheaper than the other options here.

Used to be (mine is) pure unlined pertex, so perfect windblocking, incredibly breahtable and light, packs to the size of an egg. They use a different fabric now which is more stretchy, no idea on performance.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:05 AM

Cycling specific jackets like the on-sale pactimo have ventilation. $57 is hard to beat.