Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2023, 07:06 PM

Vittoria Corsa Pro - thoughts?

Been awol for a few years, not that I flatter myself anyone has noticed. Stuff happens, etc. But have a question regarding Vittoria Corsa Pros I thought the expertise here might help with. I'm thinking of trying them out and if f I do, I'll be running them with tubes in the 24mm version. They'll be going on a C40 and a C59, both on Hyperon wheels; I've been using my stash of Vittoria Open Corsa CX tires on them but that is about to run out.
Would love to know the thoughts of folks who might have used the new Corsa Pros and perhaps even the old Corsa CX. Is there an appreciable size difference in the tires? The C40/C59 barely handle 25mm which is why I'll likely get the 24mm in the Pros. I also have the Corsa 2.0 in the regular and Control versions on a couple of other bikes and they do seem to run larger than the older Open Corsas. Would the Corsa Pros be a significant upgrade over the Corsa 2.0 version?
Any thoughts/advice welcome. Cheers.
Old 06-26-2023, 07:16 PM

Had a brief fling with the CX 25s and went back to go live with Conti 4000s (now 5000). Regret free.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:12 PM

I gave up on the Corsa with several sidewall separation issues. This was with the Graphene 2.0. Did they correct this problem?
Old 06-27-2023, 06:39 AM

Love the Corsa Pro. Using a set on my Pegoretti in a size 28mm. I use them with TPU tubes. I find them AS FAST as GP5000 but more supple and comfy without giving that floppy feeling. I would rate them as a faster Corsa 2.0. Thinking of getting a size 26mm for my Hyperon as well.

They are my new favorite tire and have deemed the GP5000 obsolete in my book.

Last edited by huck*this; 06-27-2023 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:11 AM

I loved the look and general ride quality of Corsas (tubes, latex) but I found them to be very prone to flats. I switched to GP5000 (again tubes, latex) and found them to be a lot more durable and less prone to flats. This is purely anecdotal because it’s hard to really prove but they feel marginally faster as well.

I have tried the GP5000 tubeless (25mm) on my rim brake bike and found that to be similarly quite good.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:13 AM
Administrator

hmm, Vittoria has been changing their linup quite frequently lately it seems. I didnt even realize there was a Pro version. I'd give them a try, most Vittoria stuff I've used over the years has been pretty good.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:29 AM

I love my Corsa Controls and I struggle to imagine how one could even improve on what, to me, feels like the perfect tire. But now I see that there is a Pro version of the Corsa Controls as well! And they are in larger sizes, up to 700x34!! That is actually kind of a big deal...
Old 06-27-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst72 View Post
I gave up on the Corsa with several sidewall separation issues. This was with the Graphene 2.0. Did they correct this problem?
I'm also wondering about the question of correcting sidewall separation issues. Really liked the ride when I tried Corsas, but tried maybe 3 pairs and all had sidewall separation at maybe 1000 to 1500 miles. That was a few years ago, so entirely possible that's no longer the case?
Old 06-27-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Love the Corsa Pro. Using a set on my Pegoretti in a size 28mm. I use them with TPU tubes. I find them AS FAST as GP5000 but more supple and comfy without giving that floppy feeling. I would rate them as a faster Corsa 2.0. Thinking of getting a size 26mm for my Hyperon as well.

They are my new favorite tire and have deemed the GP5000 obsolete in my book.

Thanks Huck! Are you using the Vittoria TPU tubes or another brand? I believe Vittoria recommends their TPU tubes for disk only and as your beautiful Peg has a rim brake set up, I imagine it's another brand.
Old 06-27-2023, 09:09 AM

I have a pair of the new Corsa Pro, though have not ridden it, so cannot comment on ride feel, speed or durability. But I don't think the same peeling or separation issue will surface with the Pros.

Previously, Vittoria glued a rubber tread to the cotton casing, hence the frequent delamination issue that pops up (though I seem to have been relatively lucky, only had that happen to 1 pair, despite running them for many years).

With these Corsa Pro, Vittoria have figured out a way to vulcanize the rubber to the cotton casing, so it is one piece. It's hard to explain, but checking the tires in person, there are no seam or step that can be seen or felt, it's all one piece. So I don't think these will have the tread separation issues of the previous Crosas. There might be other durability issues that pop up over time, but not this one.

Last edited by dr.dre; 06-27-2023 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-27-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
I love my Corsa Controls and I struggle to imagine how one could even improve on what, to me, feels like the perfect tire.
Try some Veloflex and you'll no longer struggle to imagine.....
Old 06-27-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Try some Veloflex and you'll no longer struggle to imagine.....
It's funny, as I run Corsa2.0s, Corsa N.EXT, Pirelli race, and Veloflex on my bikes and honestly theres not much between the Corsa 2.0s and equivalent EVO Veloflex tires. I may actually swap them over to pros the next time around as I'm mainly using them because the 2.0's weren't hookless ready at the time. If anything the Corsa 2.0s may feel a touch faster than the Veloflex I swapped from on my one bike that has gone direct from Corsa Graphene to Veloflex, now back to Corsa. We'll see in a few weeks when it goes back to the Veloflex's that are in my stash.

I will say that I do like the Corsa's better than the controls for non "rain bikes", and the Controls are better than the N.EXTs but I figured I'd try them...
Old 06-27-2023, 10:26 AM

Thought this was a timely post as I just bought a set of Corsa Pros for a new wheel build and I’ve had the chance to take them out for a couple spins.

Conti GP5000’s have been my go-to tire ever since they came out, but I’ve also ridden lots of tires from VeloFlex and Vittoria over the years. If first impressions are worth anything then I genuinely think I found a tire that will become my go-to tire in the Corsa Pro.

Hard to describe the feel other than to say they just feel so dialed. They feel similar speed-wise to the GP5000 (ie, fast), but they also feel quite a bit more springy/lively than the GP5000 — to me at least. Just an all around good tire to ride.

It could be all in my head, but I’ve been really really impressed with them so far and am anxious to see how they hold up over time. Like another poster mentioned above, I don’t see a way for the tires to have any of the same separation problems as previous Corsas — pretty sure that issue has been fixed with this latest iteration.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post
Thought this was a timely post as I just bought a set of Corsa Pros for a new wheel build and I’ve had the chance to take them out for a couple spins.

Conti GP5000’s have been my go-to tire ever since they came out, but I’ve also ridden lots of tires from VeloFlex and Vittoria over the years. If first impressions are worth anything then I genuinely think I found a tire that will become my go-to tire in the Corsa Pro.

Hard to describe the feel other than to say they just feel so dialed. They feel similar speed-wise to the GP5000 (ie, fast), but they also feel quite a bit more springy/lively than the GP5000 — to me at least. Just an all around good tire to ride.

It could be all in my head, but I’ve been really really impressed with them so far and am anxious to see how they hold up over time. Like another poster mentioned above, I don’t see a way for the tires to have any of the same separation problems as previous Corsas — pretty sure that issue has been fixed with this latest iteration.
Timely reply, and helpful, thanks!
Old 06-27-2023, 11:13 AM

Been curious about the Pro as well, they seem really nice. I’m a few thousand miles into a pair of Corsa NEXT and they’ve been flawless, grippy, fast and perfectly resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk