Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2024, 09:35 AM

I've been using a massage gun for my lower back, which helps. It's great for when my muscles get tight or sore. I like how it feels like a deep massage and helps my muscles relax.

When I visited Dr. Ryan, a SPAM, he used a Hyperice Hypervolt massage gun during my treatments. It made a difference and helped me feel better alongside his adjustments. So, combining a massage gun with visits to a chiropractor, like I did, worked well for me. It helped ease my muscle pain and made me feel more flexible.

Last edited by admaung; 02-19-2024 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admaung View Post
I've tried a massage gun before. It was good for quick fixes when my muscles felt tight or after exercising. But it didn't do everything an authentic massage can do. The gun was okay for hitting certain spots, but it wasn't as good as having someone who knows what they're doing give you a full massage.
I have a nice gun and agree with this statement.

It's fine for quickly hitting sore/knotted spots post-workout. But it's not a full massage and it's not magic.

Using the gun alongside rolling out your muscles and other recover tasks is probably best.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:17 AM

I've got the Hyperice, I like it.

I agree that it's good for getting a knot out here and there. Calf muscle so I can exercise or my neck/upper back if I sleep wrong etc.

But not a replacement for a quality massage therapist. The good ones have really helped me get over problems I'd carried for many years, and they can often provide feedback on what they see that you'll never get from the gun.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:40 AM

I use mine for warmup and that's it. I think they're overall overrated given the cost.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM

I've been seeing a massage therapist for a 90-minute session once a month. The results have been INCREDIBLE. I should have started these 10 years ago. It's tough to find a masseuse that actually knows what they're doing, but I'm so glad that I did.

I've found the massage gun works well on my legs when I'm feeling fried, but I've had poor results elsewhere, like the shoulders/neck or my arms.

Don't sleep on the Thera Cane massager! I keep one next to the couch where we watch TV. It's incredible for working on the neck, shoulders, and chest. It's the best $40 I ever spent. (Don't bother with the generic ones, you want the name brand for this, trust me.)
Old 02-09-2024, 11:01 AM

idk if its already been discussed but has anyone else experienced this with one of these massage guns? If you dont use the exact right pressure, the massager will start "hopping" around which makes it feel quite unpleasant?
Old 02-09-2024, 11:22 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I use a Hyperice Hypersphere ball and recommend highly. I have bought them as gifts in fact. I use the larger one, they make minis. My last gifted one was a mini. My sis on a visit here tried mine and said if it was only smaller, so I got her a mini. Pick your poison.

Use for me is mainly on hip flexors, but gluts, quads, hamstrings as well. Occasionally on my back, and semi frequently on forearms for cubital tunnel woes. But Di2 has helped that loosing the lever swing which seemed to exacerbate that. For cabled I actually prefer ERGOs. Maybe I should shift less, I digress..

But for when you get some muscle imbalances on your larger groups with cycling it is great PT tool.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
idk if its already been discussed but has anyone else experienced this with one of these massage guns? If you dont use the exact right pressure, the massager will start "hopping" around which makes it feel quite unpleasant?
Yes, but only over bony areas (around shoulder blades, hip/pelvis, etc).
Old 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Yes, but only over bony areas (around shoulder blades, hip/pelvis, etc).
Yep! Youre right! Got it now.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:10 PM

I use a theragun all over my legs after long rides and I seem to carry less tone the following day vs if I had not used.

They do not seem to decrease chronic tightness that has accumulated from heavy training and lack of soft tissue maintenance. IMO making lasting changes in tissues that have chronic tightness is best done with static pressure with foam rollers/balls.