Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2024, 04:39 PM

I have found TPU to be very good. I've used Tubolito, Aerothan, the Pirelli one and now am using Ridenow (aliexpress)

The only drawback I have found is that you can't really patch them, despite what people seem to suggest. The main issue I've seemed to have is the patches fail at warm to hot temperatures.

The cost thing is definitely something to think about, especially considering that they go in the bin with a flat. On the upside, in my experience, they tend to be much more durable than a butyl or latex tyre.

The only thing that I find is they have a tendency to pinch flat more easily than a butyl or latex tyre. As in, you hit a reasonable bump that wouldn't pinch a butyl tyre and get a pinch flat with the TPU tube.

I find running pressures over 70psi seems to keep this at bay on 25mm tyres. My understanding of the mechanics of a pinch flat is a wider tyre pinches less easily, so I am not sure if that means you can run lower pressure more safely on a wider tyre.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
What does ruin specifically mean? I'm asking for a fred ...
I successfully patched a couple holes from debris, but I ran a tire on very low pressure and tore the tube at the base of the valve. But I don't hold that against these tubes; would have happened with any tube.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoots View Post
I have found TPU to be very good. I've used Tubolito, Aerothan, the Pirelli one and now am using Ridenow (aliexpress)

The only drawback I have found is that you can't really patch them, despite what people seem to suggest. The main issue I've seemed to have is the patches fail at warm to hot temperatures.

The cost thing is definitely something to think about, especially considering that they go in the bin with a flat. On the upside, in my experience, they tend to be much more durable than a butyl or latex tyre.

The only thing that I find is they have a tendency to pinch flat more easily than a butyl or latex tyre. As in, you hit a reasonable bump that wouldn't pinch a butyl tyre and get a pinch flat with the TPU tube.

I find running pressures over 70psi seems to keep this at bay on 25mm tyres. My understanding of the mechanics of a pinch flat is a wider tyre pinches less easily, so I am not sure if that means you can run lower pressure more safely on a wider tyre.
that has not been my experience. i have had plenty of long ie 60-80 miles in 90F temps and the patches are still holding. I have used both park glueless and Schwalbe patches. I use rubbing alcohol to clean the area to be patched really well let it dry and put the patch on and then hold the tube over my bike seat and use something to roll over the patch to push it down a socket works great but anything hard and smooth works. Maybe I have just been lucky.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
that has not been my experience. i have had plenty of long ie 60-80 miles in 90F temps and the patches are still holding. I have used both park glueless and Schwalbe patches. I use rubbing alcohol to clean the area to be patched really well let it dry and put the patch on and then hold the tube over my bike seat and use something to roll over the patch to push it down a socket works great but anything hard and smooth works. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Good patching tips. I've had positive experience with my Aliexpress sources RideNow TPUs. It's tough to argue with the $5 per price beating butyl these days...
Old 02-06-2024, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I believe the term for what your doing is burnishing the patch.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
It's been such a long time (years now) since I tried the patches that maybe they're better, or like you say, maybe you're lucky.

The temps I was talking of were sort of the 30-35 degree type weather which is low to mid 90's.

But yeah the process you explain is similar to what I tried, the patches would hold but then the glue just seemed to give up and become a slow leak. First noticed it when I left my bike in the sun after cleaning, but it happened during a ride once too.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:21 AM

Are all TPU tubes made of the same material? Some manufacturers say disk brake only (can't take the heat) and no CO2 (can't take the cold). Others say that's OK.

Last edited by MikeD; 02-12-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Are all TPU tubes made of the same material? Some manufacturers say disk brake only (can't take the heat) and no CO2 (can't take the cold). Others say that's OK.
TPU is the material but they're making them to different spec/weights/thickness hence the rules on some.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:08 PM

Educate me. I ride tubulars maybe 50% of the time. When riding clinchers (tubed) I carry Orange Seal and use it if I puncture, then change the tube out later (much later, like when I swap the tires). Can TPUs handle sealant?
Old 02-17-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
Educate me. I ride tubulars maybe 50% of the time. When riding clinchers (tubed) I carry Orange Seal and use it if I puncture, then change the tube out later (much later, like when I swap the tires). Can TPUs handle sealant?
Maybe. https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...c.php?t=173656

Eclipse is the only one that sells a specific sealant for the purpose, but most tubes have the valve core glued in, so how do you get the sealant in?

Last edited by MikeD; 02-17-2024 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:01 PM

[QUOTE=MikeD;3352796]Maybe. https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...c.php?t=173656

Eclipse is the only one that sells a specific sealant for the purpose, but most tubes have the valve core glued in, so how do you get the sealant in?[/QUOTE

Actually, most tubes have removable cores to facilitate installation of valve stem extenders. Remove core, put sealant "straw" on stem, and squeeze. Easy. But thank you on the Eclipse info.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:31 PM

[QUOTE=GParkes;3352828]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Maybe. https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...c.php?t=173656

Eclipse is the only one that sells a specific sealant for the purpose, but most tubes have the valve core glued in, so how do you get the sealant in?[/QUOTE

Actually, most tubes have removable cores to facilitate installation of valve stem extenders. Remove core, put sealant "straw" on stem, and squeeze. Easy. But thank you on the Eclipse info.
Not TPU tubes.