Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2024, 04:49 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
A medium size bike company I know offers their gravel bike with several different Sram configurations, and also Ekar. They have never sold a single Ekar version of that bike.

I think Ekar is phenomenal and extremely versatile --it can be a legit road groupset or a terrific gravel groupset. Really fun to operate.
Lauf (the Iceland guys with their interesting suspension fork) used to offer one of their models in an EKAR configuration, either the true grit or the anywhere, i dont remember which. While i was trying to make up my mind whether to hit the "buy now" button, the option vanished from their ordering page and when i inquired, they just said *nope*. Their newer models, the Seigla and the Úthald, are wireless shifting only, which i guess makes sense for a smaller manufacturer, as does reducing the number of available configuration options.

Last edited by martl; 02-14-2024 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:38 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
Be interesting to know "which" cassette you get. I believe Campy made a running change to the eKar cassettes - there were interface/alignment issues with the inside face of the largest cog with certain hubs (if I remember correctly).

Maybe gfk_velo would have more insight
i looked at both my original order from 1 1/2 a year ago and the current one. There is no special designation or part nr on either of them.
i plan to use them on Newmen Fade hubs. 'll keep you posted if i notice any differences...
Old 02-15-2024, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
i looked at both my original order from 1 1/2 a year ago and the current one. There is no special designation or part nr on either of them.
i plan to use them on Newmen Fade hubs. 'll keep you posted if i notice any differences...
I found the thread here.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=3061828

It's to do with screws on the largest cog carrier interfering with spokes. Later designs were apparently countersunk

Last edited by robertbb; 02-15-2024 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:00 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
I found the thread here.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=3061828

It's to do with screws on the largest cog carrier interfering with spokes. Later designs were apparently countersunk
Ah ok thanks! looks like my Cassette, but i got a good 3mm clearance there to the outer spoke, so i guess not a problem
Old 02-15-2024, 02:08 PM

The outside screws on the cassette were first generation problem. It's fixed since a while.

Love how quickly bike24 shipped.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Ah ok thanks! looks like my Cassette, but i got a good 3mm clearance there to the outer spoke, so i guess not a problem
So both your cassette from 18 months ago and the recent one you received from Bike24 are the same?

Are you sure? No countersunk screws or flatter screws on the newer one?

If so, Bike24 still ships stock of the first gen cassettes which is of note to those (like me) that have hubs that may lead to spoke interference issues.
Old 02-15-2024, 04:12 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
So both your cassette from 18 months ago and the recent one you received from Bike24 are the same?
nopr just the older one. The new one is due to arrive tomorrow. A shop the size of bike24 will not have stock that is 1 year old
Old 02-15-2024, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Lauf (the Iceland guys with their interesting suspension fork) used to offer one of their models in an EKAR configuration, either the true grit or the anywhere, i dont remember which. While i was trying to make up my mind whether to hit the "buy now" button, the option vanished from their ordering page and when i inquired, they just said *nope*. Their newer models, the Seigla and the Úthald, are wireless shifting only, which i guess makes sense for a smaller manufacturer, as does reducing the number of available configuration options.
I think the current Lauf has a funky sort of MTBish BB shell width and an Ekar crank is not wide enough to fit it.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:15 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
The outside screws on the cassette were first generation problem. It's fixed since a while.

Love how quickly bike24 shipped.
This was originally a problem with the Ekar and Industry 9 Torch interface. It's been corrected.
Old 02-17-2024, 02:46 AM

I ordered two Ekar cassettes this week from Bike24.de.

This is what I got.

These are countersunk screws which means that the original issue with the Industry Nine hubs should no longer be applicable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4169.jpg (61.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 02-17-2024, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
I ordered two Ekar cassettes this week from Bike24.de.

This is what I got.

These are countersunk screws which means that the original issue with the Industry Nine hubs should no longer be applicable.
Great feedback, thank you and appreciate the follow up

Tags
campagnolo, campy, ekar