Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2014, 03:08 PM

Travel Frame - S&S Issues

In order to avoid oversized luggage charges imposed by airlines, I plan to retrofit my 56 cm Serotta Classique Ti with S&S couplers. If possible, I would like to avoid removing the fork to pack the bike into a 26"x26"x10" hard case. This frame (NOS that I purchased two years ago) has a 1' diameter steerer tube and a non-threaded fork.

One solution is to install two couplers on each of the top and down tubes. I believe that this would permit the fork to remain attached to the head tube (and possibly allow the handlebars and stem to remain attached to the fork).

A second solution might be to install a Grand Cru Rinko travel headset and a VO threadless stem adapter. Thus, I would have a quill stem that would permit the fork to remain attached to the head tube.

A third solution is to purchase a Zinn coupled travel stem.

I am aware that each proposed solution comes with a price, both in terms of dollars, weight, and functionality.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with any of the above alternatives?

Thanks. EWO
Old 10-20-2014, 03:41 PM

I have a retrofitted 56 cm Serotta Fierte Ti. This fits fine in the travel box without removing the fork, or the stem. You do have to remove the front brake so that the fork will turn around backwards. After that, it is easy peasy.

In the attached picture, you see the front portion of the frame and turned around fork under the rear wheel, without the remainder of the bike packed. Everything has black packing stuff around the components, as it came from Bilenky.

Hope this helps to visualize.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Serotta in box1.jpg (58.6 KB, 717 views)

Last edited by 572cv; 10-20-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 10-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Vendor

Before you put saw to frame, run the math... I'm skeptical if an S&S bike really saves any money and also requires master mechanical ability to reassemble at each destination.
I've been charged $50 to $150 extra, each way, when I fly with an "oversized" bike case. Sometimes I haven't been charged at all. How much will it cost to do the S&S conversion? How many times will you fly with the bike? With all the new airline surcharges I've had a couple friends get hit with additional bag charge for the S&S cases.
If you do fly a lot you probably belong to a high-mileage club which usually gets you complimentary oversized luggage anyway.
Thoughts?

Last edited by RedRider; 10-20-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:50 PM
aka RAEKWON

not to mention that when TSA puts your bike back in the SS case they just jam it in there and can scratch and dent your frame. I wanted an SS bike for a while but after really thinking about it, it doesnt seem like the answer for traveling with bikes.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:54 PM

I have a coupled bike. If you use the TSA net, it stays reasonably intact if inspected. That said, don't expect the finish to look like it's straight off the show room after you travel with it. I think an older Ti bike is a great candidate for conversion for this reason.

My travel bike pushes the limits of what the standard size case will allow (I'm 6'5") so not removing the fork isn't an option for me. That said, why are you so averse to taking the fork off? With a threadless headset/stem, removal will take about thirty seconds, as will reinstallation. Just keep any loose headset parts in a plastic bag with some packing peanuts and you'll mitigate any risk of damage to the headset. If you're concerned about damage to the steerer, though, that's a different story and one that depends on your fork.

I'll also add that if you use the cable splitters, reassembly shouldn't take more than twenty minutes from opening your case to having a fully functional bicycle.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:04 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
not to mention that when TSA puts your bike back in the SS case they just jam it in there and can scratch and dent your frame. I wanted an SS bike for a while but after really thinking about it, it doesnt seem like the answer for traveling with bikes.
Here, I am going to quote myself from the first page of this thread.

I now have an S&S bike and its great. I think my thought still applies to TSA efing up your bike but at the end of the day when the bike goes in the bag it is what it is and a few scratches just add to the character of the travel bike.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:37 AM

Thx for responses. I have not seen a kit from Ritchey listed anywhere but have not tried asking at an LBS. I quite like the inner tube idea, but foresee it not being the most convenient.
I did find that Bilenky sells a kit for $65 for both sizes of the s&s cordura/velcro. I'll probably do that unless I find a better deal.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:11 AM

After struggling the first few times to thread handlebars into 32 spoke wheels I have started to pack handlebars with stem attached into my other suitcase, since I normally travel with other luggage as well.

Has made packing a breeze 👍🏻
Old 01-28-2019, 11:16 AM
aka RAEKWON

must be because I have the ritchey case and its bigger/softer but I pack my handlebars with quill stem and it goes in very nicely and actually makes sure the stuff stays in place since the quill end goes right into the wheel. 28 spoke wheels though.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletori View Post
After struggling the first few times to thread handlebars into 32 spoke wheels I have started to pack handlebars with stem attached into my other suitcase, since I normally travel with other luggage as well.

Has made packing a breeze 👍🏻
I do this too. I usually pull the seat/post and the bars/stem off and throw them in my duffel or suitcase. Clothing packs around them easily enough and it makes packing the bike a TON easier and faster. I leave the brake calipers attached to the cables and just remove them from the frame...so they go in the suitcase with the bars en masse. Takes 2 sec to bolt them back on and they remain perfectly setup that way.

Last trip I took a set of wheels that had DT240 hubs...I pulled the freehub body and cassette off in one piece and packed it in a baggie...gained another inch or more across the stacked hub width. I always cringe a little bit when I cram everything in there and I figure it would make the inevitable TSA check a simpler process and less sketch if it was easier for them to put it all back after looking. I too use the net to keep it all bundled inside.

As for cost, I don't travel nearly enough to "pay" for the couplers...but the smaller box is far easier for travel through transfers and I had mine done by DeSalvo when he built the bike...the upcharge wasn't incrementally that much compared to retrofit. I also use the coupled bike for most of my non-travel riding, so it's not just a toy that gets used occassionally.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:22 PM

I'll also add...since this is my primary bike, I splurged and did it with eTap....which is a small miracle when it comes time to pack and fly. I recommend it for sure....with the brakes in my suitcase I don't have to deal with any cables in the S&S case.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:38 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaWheelie View Post
I'll also add...since this is my primary bike, I splurged and did it with eTap....which is a small miracle when it comes time to pack and fly. I recommend it for sure....with the brakes in my suitcase I don't have to deal with any cables in the S&S case.
If money wasn't the object I would put etap on the travel bike for sure. It makes SO much sense. One day
Old 01-28-2019, 01:37 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletori View Post
tbh, the best part about upgrading my coupled bike to SRAM eTap has been how effortless it now is to pull the stem/bars and stash them separately. Definitely makes the packing jigsaw puzzle much easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaWheelie View Post
Last trip I took a set of wheels that had DT240 hubs...I pulled the freehub body and cassette off in one piece and packed it in a baggie...gained another inch or more across the stacked hub width.
Whoa, I gotta try that! Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
Before you put saw to frame run the math... I'm skeptical if an S&S bike really saves any money and also requires master mechanical ability to reassemble at each destination.
I've been charged $50 to $150 extra, each way, when I fly with an "oversized" bike case. Sometimes I haven't been charged at all. How much will it cost to do the S&S conversion? How many times will you fly with the bike? With all the new airline surcharges I've had a couple friends get hit with additional bag charge for the S&S cases.
If you do fly a lot you probably belong to a high-mileage club which usually gets you complimentary oversized luggage anyway.
Thoughts?
From a financial perspective, you do have to use a travel bike a bit to make it work out financially. One way in which a travel bike can make things a lot easier is moving it around when packed, particularly through the airport and getting it into a rental car since the normal cases can be challenging to fit in the car if it's not pretty decent-sized.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:05 PM

It's worth doing, even if it doesn't pay back IMO. And with your 56cm frame, you won't need to take out the fork. My wife's S&S Serotta Fierte is a 56, with a 270mm steerer tube on the fork, and it fits in the case without having to remove the fork.

My 60cm frame is another story, though. Fork gets pulled.

FYI, I also remove the cassette before packing the rear wheel. As you can see in the pic above, it can come close to really scratching the frame member next to it.