Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 12:45 PM

Road Trip with Bike Rack (Hitch-Mounted, Tray-Type)

Hi all. I'll be taking a road trip (+/- 8 hours) in the next weeks and feeling a bit apprehensive about transporting 2 bikes. I have a hitch-mount, tray-style rack (Kuat Piston Pro X) but having $$$ bikes hanging off the back still concerns me, especially at high speeds and in variable weather conditions. Any tips, tricks, advice, etc? Thanks.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:00 PM
I need you cool.

I would not worry too much about it ...the bikes will be in the slipstream of the vehicle so the "high speed" won't be an issue (unless you have a big bike that is taller than the vehicle).

Maybe a seat cover and/or a drivetrain cover if you want to protect them from wet and dust....

Maybe get a vinyl coated steel cable with loop ends and a pad lock to secure them at stops along the way....my bikes spend the night in the hotel room.

Last edited by Ozz; 04-29-2024 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:02 PM

the bikes and rack are both made to do this so I wouldn't worry about it. for context my parents are retired and drive all over the country with the same rack and two nice bikes. they run an extra cable lock through the wheels and frames along with the locks to attach it to their vehicle and enjoy their time exploring new places to ride. is the alternative to rent or not take them? that doesn't seem fun since you have all of the tools for a great trip - enjoy it.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:09 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloist604 View Post
Any tips, tricks, advice, etc? Thanks.
I learned this one the hard way: Remove any electronics -- lights, cyclometers and electronic shifting batteries -- regardless of how well-secured they may be, just in case it rains.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloist604 View Post
Hi all. I'll be taking a road trip (+/- 8 hours) in the next weeks and feeling a bit apprehensive about transporting 2 bikes. I have a hitch-mount, tray-style rack (Kuat Piston Pro X) but having $$$ bikes hanging off the back still concerns me, especially at high speeds and in variable weather conditions. Any tips, tricks, advice, etc? Thanks.
I've done it several times using a decade old Kuat NV, never had an issue behind a Subaru Outback. Including highways, freeways, city streets, steep grades, gravel, and mountian passes. Looks like the Piston Pro X is just a fancier version of the NV and includes an integrated cable lock.

Only tips I can think of for longer drives I like to remove the flat kits, water bottles, and other easily removable accessories and store them inside. I've lost a few on the highway over the years. Also, I like to UNLOCK the bikes when driving and only use the cable lock when parked due to risk of frame scratches. Depending on security of the area you'll need to decide if the integrated lock is adequate.

I've never bothered to cover my bikes on the back and they've been rained on... I just keep a good towel in the back of the car and wipe them down when I stop.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:47 PM
n - 1

I’ve traveled plenty using Kuat NV and now my 1Up. No issues. Just make sure everything is tightened down.

The only issue would be during winter snow or muddy/dirt roads. You get a lot of spray from your vehicle so the bikes do get covered with salt, mud, dirt. At least the bottom half of the bikes. Just rinse it off after you get to your destination.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:49 PM

Not sure of your exact setup, but long ago, I drove cross country with two bikes on a cheap rack stuck to the back of the car. On arriving, discovered that the wheels, which were fixed with bungie cords so as not to rotate, had sandblasted rims in certain places due to exposure to grit flying up from the car tires.
I now get why you sometimes see wheels on bikes wrapped in wheel covers.