Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2016, 11:32 PM

Which is the better chain for Campy 10s... Wippermann or KMC?

I've read some of the past threads regarding these chains, but most posts have focused on the re-usability of the chain links. The consensus seems that for 10s, re-using the quick link isn't an issue for either chainset. I've used both before, but honestly couldn't tell if one was better than the other. The one thing I do recall was that the KMC chain had a propensity to develop surface rust. The rust was easily removed by running it through a chain cleaner. Since my experience didn't tell me which was better, looking for other's experience on these two. TIA.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:23 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Why wouldn't you use Campagnolo Record or Chorus chains. ~$40 from Ribble now, I've found them as cheap as $25-30 with patience. Quiet and long lived. Why use either of the others?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/campag...-narrow-chain/
Old 03-21-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
Why wouldn't you use Campagnolo Record or Chorus chains. ~$40 from Ribble now, I've found them as cheap as $25-30 with patience. Quiet and long lived. Why use either of the others?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/campag...-narrow-chain/
Great question! I guess the reason is that I need a quick disconnect link since its for my S&S coupled bike and I assumed that the quick links were specifically for the respective chain. If one of the quick links from IRD, KMC, or Wippermann work on Campy chains without issue, I'd get a Chorus 10 chain. Thanks DRZMN!
Old 03-21-2016, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nags&Ducs View Post
Great question! I guess the reason is that I need a quick disconnect link since its for my S&S coupled bike and I assumed that the quick links were specifically for the respective chain. If one of the quick links from IRD, KMC, or Wippermann work on Campy chains without issue, I'd get a Chorus 10 chain. Thanks DRZMN!
KMC Missing Links work with Campy chains.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I've read some of the past threads regarding these chains, but most posts have focused on the re-usability of the chain links. The consensus seems that for 10s, re-using the quick link isn't an issue for either chainset. I've used both before, but honestly couldn't tell if one was better than the other. The one thing I do recall was that the KMC chain had a propensity to develop surface rust. The rust was easily removed by running it through a chain cleaner. Since my experience didn't tell me which was better, looking for other's experience on these two. TIA.
Anecdotal only but in the shop, it seemed like almost everytime we got a bike for tune, with a Wipperman chain, the cogset was worn out PLUS..if it wasn't, and it just wouldn't shift right(worn drivetrain, somewhat sloppy ders, etc), a KMC or shimano 10s cain often solved the issues.

SO, big fan of

-Campag 10s-Campag 10s chain..with a Wipperman/Connex or KMC quick link
-shimano 10s chain with above
-KMC 10.3 chain

But for a lot of bikes, with Campag or shimano chains..just used the pin..and next time, remove chain to clean it, re-install with named quick links.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:59 AM

I've used and currently use both....Campy Veloce and KMC. Can't really tell any difference in chain life. Neither rusts....they are covered in grease.

KMC makes a Campy specific link for the Campy chain....it's slightly narrower than the KMC chain. So use the KMC link for campy chain. I get them cheap off E bay.

Reusable to me only means reusable for the life of that chain.....taking it on and and off a couple times. The quick link with a KMC chain packaging says reusable on it.

Last edited by Ralph; 03-21-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:28 AM

Data point.... I like the Wippermann chains. I would avoid the very expensive stainless models as they have been known to develop cracked links, but the nickel plated ones (and the plain black ones) are excellent. Some people do complain that they are a bit noisy, but that stems from the fact that they are a bit stiff laterally by modern chain standards...you need to have your rear derailleur accurately adjusted or you may have a bit more noise than with a more flexible chain. on the upside, it makes the shifting quick and I think it might also shift a bit better under load. They are long lasting, too as they seem to be made of a very high quality hard steel. This may be a part of what OP mentioned in that the lateral stiffness combined with a relatively long life may lead people to ignore them a bit too long as they wear which could lead to cog wear....Keep an eye on the wear with a chain tool (or ruler) and they are excellent chains....the best for Campy 10 speed IMHO.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:02 AM

I use kmc on my csi with record 10spd. It works great and don't notice any difference between it and my record chain on record 10 spd. The kmc is certainly easier to get on and off with the master link.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:04 AM

Shimano 6701

Good Luck

Last edited by nm87710; 04-12-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:07 AM

Thanks for all your responses bubbas!! Chorus 10 chain it is, with a kmc 10R link it will be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Anecdotal only but in the shop, it seemed like almost everytime we got a bike for tune, with a Wipperman chain, the cogset was worn out PLUS..if it wasn't, and it just wouldn't shift right(worn drivetrain, somewhat sloppy ders, etc), a KMC or shimano 10s cain often solved the issues
You know, I think you solved my problem with my S&S coupled Dean. I've had a Wippermann Connex chain on it from the start, and I have never been able to dial it in. I've built up every one of my road bikes and this is the only bike I've had issues with the rear shifting. Even took it to River City Bikes and they couldn't resolve the poor shifting. That Wippermann is coming off! Hopeful that I'll have fixed the problem. Thanks Peter!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm87710 View Post
Shimano 6701 - lasts longer, shifts better, costs less.
~$30 via LBS, ~22 Ebay and ~15 UK

Add a KMC 10s master link as needed.

Good Luck
So you're saying a shimano 6701 on a Campy drivetrain works better? Wow, never heard that before. Hmm, I think I may have a spare shimano 10 sped chain still in the box lying around. Question- if it's not 6701, but a 10 sod shimano chain, will it still work as well? Thanks!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
So you're saying a shimano 6701 on a Campy drivetrain works better? Wow, never heard that before. Hmm, I think I may have a spare shimano 10 sped chain still in the box lying around. Question- if it's not 6701, but a 10 sod shimano chain, will it still work as well? Thanks!
I wouldn't say it works better, but it works fine.

IME, if a Campag bke came in, always offered a Campag chain..same for shimano bike. If the $(Campag) wasn't what they wanted to spend, KMC offered next. BUT have used shimano chains on otherwise Campag systems and they work really well and like KMC, sometimes solve shifting woes. Very flexible, long lasting chains, both shimano, KMC and for more $, Campag.

Pass on sram and wipperman..Even used KMC for pista, and 5/6/7/8s..

Also recommended the least expensive compatible chain. No performance or longevity advantage over a Chorus or 105 level shimano chain.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:25 AM

Yep. Just toss it on and give it a try...

Last edited by nm87710; 04-12-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:22 AM

KMC CR link for Campy 10 chain (Not R). Like these....also available in singles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pack-KMC-M...Campy-/2217668

Last edited by Ralph; 03-21-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:34 AM

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I was wondering if anyone is using a Shimano 11 speed chain with a Campagnolo 10 speed drive-train?

Friend says it works for him, wondering what the Paceline crew think.