Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2024, 09:28 PM

Are eeBrakes worth it?

I am building up a steel rim brake bike with SRAM Red eTap AXS and decided to not use SRAM Red Aerolink Brakes based on the many issues people face with them getting out of center over time (want to set and forget).

My options now are Dura-Ace 9100 brakes which I don't know how the Red levers feel with 9100 calipers. Or Cane Creek eeBrakes G4.

Are eeBrakes worth it over Dura-Ace? Anyone have experience with Red levers and these calipers?
Old 03-17-2024, 09:33 PM

I mix and match Sram shifters with Shimano brakes all the time, and they feel fine. But also the Force AXS rim brake calipers are great--much better than the prior gen stuff, and I believe they still weigh less than Dura Ace.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocslick View Post
I am building up a steel rim brake bike with SRAM Red eTap AXS and decided to not use SRAM Red Aerolink Brakes based on the many issues people face with them getting out of center over time (want to set and forget).

My options now are Dura-Ace 9100 brakes which I don't know how the Red levers feel with 9100 calipers. Or Cane Creek eeBrakes G4.

Are eeBrakes worth it over Dura-Ace? Anyone have experience with Red levers and these calipers?
'Worth' is such a big word but I'd say no, Shimano brakes are a great idea.

Reliable, cheaper than EE, work great, stay centered...
Old 03-18-2024, 07:00 AM
50 bpm

I cannot tell the difference between ee and SR rim brakes. So I'd be a no as well. There is the oooh factor, but if there's no difference in stopping and a few grams don't matter, then why? But if they really call to you, then answer.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:20 AM

I couldn't deal with mixed components if I were building something with Red AXS... this doesn't sound like a parts bin special build. EE or just use the Red calipers that match the groupset. How off-center are the sram calipers supposed to really be?
Old 03-18-2024, 07:41 AM

I'm running two sets of EE brakes. Sure they are expensive and not necessary. But for the weight they have great stopping power, great looks, easy adjustment, and they are a breeze to adjust when going from modern wide rims to narrow rims.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:54 AM

If you're looking for light rim brakes, I'd take a look at the bontrager speed stop pro's. They're being closed out in a lot of places.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:02 AM

Do EE brakes stop better than other high end brakes? No.

Are EE brakes significantly lighter (by close to 1/4 lb) than other high end brakes? Yes.

Many ultra-light brakes give up a lot of stopping performance, so what you gain in weight savings, you lose in performance. But EE brakes manage to lose a lot of weight without losing performance. If losing every last gram matters to you, then EE brakes can be worth it. If a few extra grams don't matter to you, then they may not be worth it.

(I should add that some ultra-light brakes can be difficult to setup and keep adjusted, but EE bakes are easy to setup, and have no-tool-required adjustment when adjustment is required.)
Old 03-18-2024, 08:20 AM

ee brakes

I have used EE G4 brakes with Red AXS levers and I will say they do not stop as well as Campy SR calipers.Same pads on both, Campy Black on Boyd Altamont rims.Shimano DA brakes would be my choice in your case.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:26 AM

I'm not sure about anyone else but my EE calipers squeezing BTLOS arc rims with campy red pads have never made me pucker. My tires are the limiting factor not braking force. Not defending EE but I always hear this argument that DA is superior. I have never felt under braked ever.

Last edited by CAAD; 03-18-2024 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:37 AM

I believe the clearance with EE's is a little better and they stop the bike without issues. I could still lock an Enve gen 1 wheel up with them on a fast descent at over 200lbs.

They fit a good size tire with comfortable clearance on most bikes. They are easy to adjust and work well, but are top dollar. It really depends on if you prefer the look and lightweight. They are silly lightweight functional calipers.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I believe the clearance with EE's is a little better and they stop the bike without issues.
Came here to say this. The clearance on them is a little better than with Shimano brakes, in case that makes a difference in your setup.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Came here to say this. The clearance on them is a little better than with Shimano brakes, in case that makes a difference in your setup.
This is it. DA brakes work great, but if you're running 28s, the clearance is tight. Depending on the tire/wheel combo, a tight clearance means if it goes out of true on a ride, it can get messy out there. it happened to me, good thing I was 2 blocks from being done.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:17 PM

I have the older generation SRAM Red and I think look much nicer work great and are pretty light. What is the difference between Force and Force AXS brakes?
Old 03-18-2024, 12:21 PM

What about EE for fat tires - I mean, their 40+ mm models for mounting on posts — worth it relative to canti or Mafac style?