Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 04:23 PM

Help: Seat lug no longer 27.2

Seeking advice from the Paceline Family.

Obtain this frameset with a piece of broken seat post inside the seat tube. The broken seat post was carefully sawed off and removed from the seat tube. When I tried to insert a new 27.2 post it does not get past the ST/TT lug.

Notes:
- The build sheet from Marinoni says its a 27.2 and the tubing is Columbus SPX. I doubled checked the spec sheet, it doesnt specify the seat tube diameter.
- Fractional Caliper says 27.0 when measured perpendicular to the TT
- When I insert the 27.2 post, there is wiggle room forward and back (maybe because the Binder bolt was spread. (binder bolt was removed)

Any suggestions for the next step? I don't want to write off this frame just yet.

Update - Does anyone know the seat tube diameter for SPX tubing?

Thanks for reading

Last edited by distanc3; 10-23-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:28 PM

This is what I would try to do because looks like the old seatpost is still there...

I would find me an adjustable reamer or an adjustable hone and would start playing with that till the 27.2 was tight in there.

BTW the tube is ovalized aswell, you have to fix that seatpost lug to its position 1st. and since that whole thing looks ovalized I thing you have no other option than use an adjustable reamer.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 10-19-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:30 PM

Didn't SPX run a thicker tube wall for a 27.0 post?

It definitely looks like the lug/ upper portion was ovalized during the post extraction. It's possible trying to cram a too-large post in the contributed (if it is for a 27.0).

From the photo, it looks like there may be something in the tube- reaching down with a finger, is that more seat post, or a scored section in the seat tube itself?

Last edited by EricEstlund; 10-19-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricEstlund View Post
Didn't SPX run a thicker tube wall for a 27.0 post?

It definitely looks like the lug/ upper portion was ovalized during the post extraction. It's possible trying to cram a too-large post in the contributed (if it is for a 27.0).

From the photo, it looks like there may be something in the tube- reaching down with a finger, is that more seat post, or a scored section in the seat tube itself?
Hi Eric, thanks for your reply, I've fixed my original post, Marinoni spec sheet didn't specify the seat post diameter, my mistake on that one. The inside of the seat tube may be a little scored but smooth to touch overall. The frameset did come with an extremely short seatpost that covered up the stuck/broke seat post upon sale.

I guess I will need more info on SPX ST inner diameter. Hopefully it's 27.0 and a new post and binder bolt will fix the problem.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:14 PM

I fixed a friend's SLX Merckx that had a similar issue with a 1 1/8 quill stem. The frame had fallen directly onto the binder bolt from a rafter when he was moving so it squished the binder lug inward and down. Using a 1 1/8 quill, we inserted it and tightened it to press the squished portion outward, in turn straightening out the tube. We kept the wedge on the crimped portion.

It is now able to run the 27.2 post it was designed for. Maybe a simlar method will work for you?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:24 PM

According to the Paterek Manual, Columbus SP tubing is 0.7mm wall thickness while SL is 0.6mm at the non-butted/seatpost end. (I believe SPX is the same as SP except for the helical rifling at the BB end.)

If I recall, SP frames took a 27.0mm seatpost.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:38 PM

SP takes 27.0, as the tubes are drawn .2mm thicker than SL. So it all makes rational sense
Old 10-19-2017, 11:27 PM

I will say I have had two Marinoni's and both had 27.0 posts, though conclusions can't be drawn form two frames. I will say that I do believe the comments above are correct about SPX in that it was a thicker walled tube which would make for a 27.0 post. Also, if your caliper is showing 27.0 I would recommend trying a 27.0 seatpost.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distanc3 View Post
Seeking advice from the Paceline Family.

Obtain this frameset with a piece of broken seat post inside the seat tube. The broken seat post was carefully sawed off and removed from the seat tube. When I tried to insert a new 27.2 post it does not get past the ST/TT lug.

Notes:
- The build sheet from Marinoni says its a 27.2 and the tubing is Columbus SPX. I doubled checked the spec sheet, it doesnt specify the seat tube diameter.
- Fractional Caliper says 27.0 when measured perpendicular to the TT
- When I insert the 27.2 post, there is wiggle room forward and back (maybe because the Binder bolt was spread. (binder bolt was removed)

Any suggestions for the next step? I don't want to write off this frame just yet.

Update - Does anyone know the seat tube diameter for SPX tubing?

Thanks for reading

http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
Old 10-20-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Bear View Post
Didn’t make it past the first paragraph, huh?