Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 12:43 PM
#BikeMafia

Sorry, once I went to the Fizik Antares, I sold off all my aliente's....

As for the new ride...well my Carbon ride is a Cannondale Supersix Evo Black Inc. with SR11

Here are some Q&As..

Is it nice and light?
A: yes...

Does it go fast uphill

A: yes....

Does it handle well?
A: ....not as good as the meivici...

Do I ride it as often as the meivici?
A: No. Its only for rides where I went to get KOMs or PRs. I actually ride my 3 lbs heavier Serotta Pronto ALOT more. The Black Inc., just sits except for a couple of months out of the year.

Conclusion: The meivici is a great bike...and if I wanted an all around performing bike...this would be it!
Old 10-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Nice to see a Meivici bringing smiles. Mine does so for me, but your paint and set up look pretty great, causing mevicious envy.... sometime maybe I will have the marginal clear coat replaced or redone.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 10-18-2017, 03:01 PM

Nice whip, needs white bar tape.

I tend to think of cars and Strats when I see metal flake colors, your bike looks like Lake Placid Blue, which is a 60s Ford color too. Seriously, it's a beautiful bike!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:12 PM

Well it wasn't a fluke I rode today and increased my average by .2 mph. I rode at 15.2 mph and I had tired legs from yesterday.

Loving the Meivici!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:11 AM

Not sure that I'm any faster on my MeiVici, but the ride is sublime. Rock solid, quiet, precise handling and smooth. The vision for the MeiVici was for it to ride as nicely as a Serotta steel bike (CSi, etc.), but with more "snap" and to be a lot lighter. When the stiffness, geometry, etc. are properly matched to the rider, it's something special. Glad yours worked out—like buying any custom bike secondhand (which is all one can do now with the MeiVicis), it's a bit of a crapshoot.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Senior Shmoozer

I'm faster just looking at it!

VF
Old 10-20-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryfactory View Post
I'm faster just looking at it!

VF
LOL that's funny. Yeah maybe a stretch to think I am actually faster due to the new bike.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavic1010 View Post
Sorry, once I went to the Fizik Antares, I sold off all my aliente's....

As for the new ride...well my Carbon ride is a Cannondale Supersix Evo Black Inc. with SR11

Here are some Q&As..

Is it nice and light?
A: yes...

Does it go fast uphill

A: yes....

Does it handle well?
A: ....not as good as the meivici...

!
And, yet, many who have the watts and bike handling skills consider the Cannondale one of the best handling bikes ever produced. But these are guys who make the bike go uphill instead of thinking that half a pound will make any difference.

Placebos are an interesting thing.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:54 PM

I have never really weighted any of my bikes but the Meivici had me courious.

Serotta Meivici = 15.7lbs
Colnago C50 = 17.4lbs
Moots VaMoots SL = 18.0lbs

These weights are completely ridable with pedals and water bottle cages.

I have a pretty heavy saddle on the Meivici I think the Fizik Aliante will drop it down to 15.5lbs. The irony here is the rider could stand to lose 90lbs.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:20 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
When the stiffness, geometry, etc. are properly matched to the rider, it's something special. Glad yours worked out—like buying any custom bike secondhand (which is all one can do now with the MeiVicis), it's a bit of a crapshoot.
That was also incredibly true when buying Legends second-hand. Some of them were built with off-the-chart stiffness, which many times you only discovered once you owned it. It did, however, highlight what magic Serotta could work with various tubes.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:24 PM

Your Meivici is stellar. Love mine too. That does look like Big Boy Blue. Just a beautiful color for sure. Glad you are happy with yours too. I sometimes think of putting mine in the classifieds, then I come to my senses!! Ride the heck out of it!!
Old 04-14-2018, 04:24 PM

Finally sourced the final build parts

It took some doing but I have finally built the Meivici as I envisioned when this whole crazy idea was formulated in my head.

From the first image:
I now have Handlebra on the bars.
Swapped the Cages out to Arundel Mandibles
Finally found the original Fizik Aliante in Black.
Switched the ENVE SES4.5's to SES2.2.

If I could do it all over I never would have bought the C50 and I would of sent the Meivici to Bill McDonald to have it painted with the design I did on the C50. I would also use Black Cable housing instead of Gray.

Big Boy Blue looks good but I think it would look better with something more broken up like the C50 the solid color is just a solid color. The Meivici also had a lot of decals deleted I would have left; the "Custom SE Tubing" Decal on the Seattube, "S,s" on the seat stays and the fork identifier "F3 8.5". I would also like the Metal Headbadge vs the "S" Decal. I am sure none of this will ever happen because most of all I am lazy. The above wish list would take some sort of effort on my part.

The ride is sublime especially with the 27mm tubular tyres I never thought were going to fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MeiviciFinishedBuild.jpg (130.5 KB, 156 views)
Old 04-14-2018, 04:59 PM

Another great Serotta
Old 04-14-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite View Post
It took some doing but I have finally built the Meivici as I envisioned when this whole crazy idea was formulated in my head.

From the first image:
I now have Handlebra on the bars.
Swapped the Cages out to Arundel Mandibles
Finally found the original Fizik Aliante in Black.
Switched the ENVE SES4.5's to SES2.2.

If I could do it all over I never would have bought the C50 and I would of sent the Meivici to Bill McDonald to have it painted with the design I did on the C50. I would also use Black Cable housing instead of Gray.

Big Boy Blue looks good but I think it would look better with something more broken up like the C50 the solid color is just a solid color. The Meivici also had a lot of decals deleted I would have left; the "Custom SE Tubing" Decal on the Seattube, "S,s" on the seat stays and the fork identifier "F3 8.5". I would also like the Metal Headbadge vs the "S" Decal. I am sure none of this will ever happen because most of all I am lazy. The above wish list would take some sort of effort on my part.

The ride is sublime especially with the 27mm tubular tyres I never thought were going to fit.
Beautiful bike. You want to hear some constructive criticism? OK - nevermind.

For my taste, I would stick a 1 cm carbon spacer under the stem and then rotate your bars downward (ramps not ascending) a bit to get the drop you need. Nice job, though. Carry on....
Nevermind: no room...

Last edited by OtayBW; 04-14-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Beautiful bike. You want to hear some constructive criticism? OK - nevermind.

For my taste, I would stick a 1 cm carbon spacer under the stem and then rotate your bars downward (ramps not ascending) a bit to get the drop you need. Nice job, though. Carry on....
Nevermind: no room...
I don't mind criticism. I wouldn't post on a public forum if I couldn't handle a bit of criticism.

I initially rode with the bars rotated further down but I found myself slipping down the hoods. I probably need to pull both layers of tape off and move the levers further up the bars. It was just easier to rotate the bars and as mentioned previously I am lazy.