Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 06:21 PM

I have Vittoria Graphene on a set of FFWD carbon wheels on my racing bike which are buttery smooth and I taped them with Carogna tape, which I think is hugely under rated. I've got FMB tubs, again with Carogna tape, on a set of Ambrosio Nemesis that the great Stephen CL sold me a year ago and they are otherworldly. I run them at 80-90 psi. Top notch. Different feel when riding for each one, and equally enjoyable for different reasons. Speed and comfort with Vittoria Graphene; durability and hegemony with FMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
This is of interest to me as I intend to tape up a pair of Vittoria's this winter. Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

The following is from the Carogna website:

Andy Robertson
Is it necessary to scrape the latex off the basetape of a Vittoria Corsa CX tubular prior to using Carogna? Does scraping the latex from the basetape provide better adhesion?

Alberto De Gioannini
Hello Andy, you don’t need to scrape the latex off the basetape of Vittoria tubulars. Just degrease them perfectly using mineral spirits and Carogna will hold perfectly for road riding purposes.
For cyclocross, however, because of the much lower inflating pressures, it’s better to apply Eau de Carogna primer on the tubular basetape, upon cleaning it: this will enhance adhesion with our Carogna tape.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:39 PM

Za Dinamo,

Najizdraljivija ce ti biti Continental Gator 22 ili 25mm, krecu se oko $70. Ove godine sam poceo da koristim Vittoria Corsa 25-28 i one su mogu reci naudobnije i najbrzi tubular koji sam imao prilike da vozim (nisu bas izdrzljive ali su udobne).
Moja preporuka je Continental ili Vittoria.
Veliki pozdrav.

Od Crvena Zvezda !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KllvHi4BuWE
Old 10-19-2017, 07:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by markoprotic View Post
Za Dinamo,

Najizdraljivija ce ti biti Continental Gator 22 ili 25mm, krecu se oko $70. Ove godine sam poceo da koristim Vittoria Corsa 25-28 i one su mogu reci naudobnije i najbrzi tubular koji sam imao prilike da vozim (nisu bas izdrzljive ali su udobne).
Veliki pozdrav.

Od Crvena Zvezda !!!
What he said!!
Old 10-19-2017, 08:24 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by markoprotic View Post
Za Dinamo,

Veliki pozdrav.

Od Crvena Zvezda !!!

Please allow me to translate..

對於迪納摩來說,
最昂貴的將是Continental Gator 22或25mm,約70美元。今年我開始使用Vit toria Corsa 25-28,我可以說最不舒服和最快的管子有 機會騎(他們不耐用,但舒適)。
我的建議是大陸或維多利亞。
好問候
從紅星!!!
Old 10-19-2017, 08:59 AM

Continental GP 4000 S2 come only in 22mm and are tough to stretch on a wheel
but I have had good luck with them so far. I love the feel of FMB and Veloflex in
both 22 and 25 sizes, but they are hit or miss in my experience. I could get one to go 2000 miles, but I am almost as likely to flat in the first 200 miles.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What he said!!
Marko noticed my avatar (the red and white checkers with the letter 'd'), which is the logo for the Croatian soccer club Dinamo Zagreb. So he wrote about his experience with Continental and Vittoria tubulars in Croatian, correctly assuming I would understand.

Somebody earlier in the post asked if I would be putting these tubulars on a vintage ride, and if so to use tan sidewall tires only. Tubulars will be mounted to a barely used 2010 HED Bastogne wheelset I purchased for $112.95. I don't see a lot of reviews for this wheelset, and the ones I do see aren't heaping praises on it. However, I've had nothing but good luck with HED (aluminum wheelsets only) so I'm hoping for a similar experience.