Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 05:01 AM

I've been hearing a lot about SeoulCycle, but didn't understand it until now
Old 10-19-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post
pictures of said rapha jerseys?

makes me curious if they'll have one in the DC shop that just opened.

cd

Each Rapha city has a different icon

Old 10-19-2017, 06:48 AM

I was in Seoul for a week recently for a conference (at the COEX), and was surprised by the lack of cyclists and cycling infrastructure. The old town area seemed a bit better, but still. Seems like it would be a nice city to be able to get around by bike.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:39 AM

those bike paths are legit
dig the one that's also a raised 20 mile solar array

Old 10-19-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Murray View Post
Each Rapha city has a different icon

interesting.

reading up on it, it seems like its a fulltime clubhouse specific thing. so maybe I'll snag one if I stop by RaphaSF at Christmas time.

DC is just a pop-up at the moment.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:05 PM
DELETE ACCNT

thread revival

does anyone know where this solar tunnel bike path is? I've seen pics but no idea where it is or the name

btw, Seoul has an amazing cycling system. The bike paths are amazing- you can literally ride all day, non-stop, on the bike paths. They have quickie marts, bathrooms and restaurants on the bike path. it's very beautiful.

riding on the streets?... yeah it can be sketchy because of the unfamiliarity.
Cars are ok, the bus drivers and taxis are INSANE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
those bike paths are legit
dig the one that's also a raised 20 mile solar array

Old 04-05-2018, 07:36 AM

One thing I've always wondered about: why don't we see more Korean brands of bikes and cycling gear? With nearby Asian countries making all sorts of cycling stuff it seems odd, especially since the sport appears to be somewhat popular. I think I can recall seeing a some cheap made in Korea bike tires many years ago, but that is about it.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:39 AM

Maybe in 10 or 20 years? The Taiwanese companies have like a 30-40yr head start on this stuff; Japan maybe double or triple that.

Cycling as a sport/hobby is also still in its very early infancy there relative to Taiwan and Japan.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:12 AM
DELETE ACCNT

There are many Korean cycling brands. I don't know the business model (if they are simply chinese sourced or made in Korea)They just don't export.
I bought a Korean brand helmet while over there.

The sporting cycling there is huge. That was my impression.
They seem to put high value on import quality - so the name brands do very well and are very popular. Rapha, PAS Normal, Isadore, etc do very well in Korea. I think the Korean market for these companies is bigger than the USA.
The owners of these companies come out to Seoul every year at least.

All the major bike brands are well represented. Spec, Trek (never saw so many people riding Madones elsewhere), Passoni, No22, etc,etc
I saw a lot of Merida and other more euro brands there. They are not locked into the marketing stronghold like the US, with only a few controlling brands.

All to say, in relatively new cycling, all the value seems to be on what is the "world's best" cycling stuff (for the roadie crowd). Though I'm sure there are or will be stronger internal offerings.

Tour de France organizes a gran fondo every year (Tour d'etape) with the yellow jersey (Froome last year) and the amount of people that ride is HUGE
Looks like the Boston Marathon start.

It's one of my favorite places to ride in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
One thing I've always wondered about: why don't we see more Korean brands of bikes and cycling gear? With nearby Asian countries making all sorts of cycling stuff it seems odd, especially since the sport appears to be somewhat popular. I think I can recall seeing a some cheap made in Korea bike tires many years ago, but that is about it.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:11 PM

Thanks Passadena, judging from your photos, I sort of got the impression that the current trend was for major brands and Euro-slick. So serious cycling is an upper middle class + activity there. It still seems odd to me, with eBay and the like disgorging all sorts of odd cycling gear from around the world, the Korean stuff you mention never seems to show up.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:48 PM
Hrmm

This is very cool, thanks for sharing. I've been looking to visit Korea and this makes me want to do so more.

Is it easy to rent bikes there? Even if they're just city bikes, I'd love to cruise around and explore the city by bike.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:59 PM
DELETE ACCNT

These aren't my photos-the OP took some great shots

but i know those areas except that cool tunnel. I want to ride that next visit!

All kinds ride. A HUGE amount of older riders there- more than roadies. There are big groups of them that ride hybrid/mtb on the road. They seem to wear Korean brand stuff.
Many ride with music, it's pretty entertaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
Thanks Passadena, judging from your photos, I sort of got the impression that the current trend was for major brands and Euro-slick. So serious cycling is an upper middle class + activity there. It still seems odd to me, with eBay and the like disgorging all sorts of odd cycling gear from around the world, the Korean stuff you mention never seems to show up.
bike rentals everywhere along the bike path near the Han River esp. near the Olympic Village
They are just basic but super fun and cheap
There are also those go-bikes that are everywhere. They have a little computer on it, so you just use your cc and leave it anywhere I think.

street riding....well that's pretty sketch unless you are familiar with the traffic patterns or go during the light traffic times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asudef View Post
This is very cool, thanks for sharing. I've been looking to visit Korea and this makes me want to do so more.

Is it easy to rent bikes there? Even if they're just city bikes, I'd love to cruise around and explore the city by bike.

Last edited by pasadena; 04-06-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
thread revival

does anyone know where this solar tunnel bike path is? I've seen pics but no idea where it is or the name
Apparently these are old railway tunnels converted to bicycle lanes as part of the Hangang Bicycle Path (4 Rivers Bicycle Trail System).

QUOTE:
"Namhangang bicycle path is 132km long and has 6 stamp stations. Its highlight is the old train track system that has become a bicycle path and passes through many tunnels. It is part of the Seoul to Busan (633km) cross country trail system.

The stretch between Yangsu Station and Gyeonggang takes us through several old railway tunnels, now converted into cycling lanes for the convenience of bikers so that they don't have to climb so many hills....

The old rail tunnels were:
1. The Yongdam Art Tunnel at 441 metres long.
2. The Buyong 4 Tunnel at 240 metres long.
3. The Buyong 3 Tunnel at 284 metres long.
4. The Buyong 2 Tunnel at 192 metres long.
5. The Buyong 1 Tunnel at 116 metres long.
6. The Dogok Tunnel at 176 metres long.
7. The Wonbok Tunnel at 260 metres long.
8. The Kigok Art Tunnel at 569 metres long.
Some of these tunnels are called art tunnels as within them the ceiling are architecturally decorated and lit; making them look better than just being a plain tunnel."

/QUOTE

Cycling Korea 2016: Day 6 - Hangang River Trail: Yangsu to Yeoju

Art Tunnel - Hangang bicycle path
Old 04-06-2018, 10:44 PM
DELETE ACCNT

ah, very cool thank you cadence90!

The Seoul to Busan bike path is a popular one. Many people bike camp that route. There are red british telephone booths all over the bike path system with the passport stamps. Pretty cool and fun idea.
You can get the bike passports at certain stores and stations- i spoke to a guy about it at a station.

There's a cool yt vid on a retired Specialized exec that did the Seoul/Busan bike path (from my understanding, you are basically riding the length of S. Korea almost entirely on bike paths)

I was in Seoul for over a month (riding 3 days a week) and didn't hit all the bike paths in Seoul. Seoul has serious cycle coffee shop game so even the easy days are amazing.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:09 PM

I have never been anywhere in Asia, but would love to go someday.

A 633 km bicycle trail, plus others...wow.

This looks amazing: