Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 07:52 AM
That guy..

Well. You don't want an absolute bucket of crap. Remember you're riding it everyday. You should still enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2017, 08:50 AM

Under $1k, everything you're looking for and more; built one for my wife, with a few parts swaps, and it is a great commuter. Sick, really, for the price.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Bike theft is usually about opportunity. Most thieves, around here at least, will steal what's easiest, not necessarily what's the most expensive. I agree with others that you shouldn't get a crappy bike that's no fun to ride if you're going to spend this much time on it.

Personally, I prefer steel and large tires for city riding, but that's because our streets are rife with potholes and riding in the dark winters it's pretty much impossible to avoid hitting the occasional small branch, rock, etc.

For theft prevention, higher visibility areas are often safer than more out of the way places. The main thing though is to try to park next to a bike that's less secured than yours. Something cheap using a cable lock or not locking their wheels is a lot more attractive than a fancier but well secured bike. Quick release isn't really necessary if you've got a tool in your commuting bag and need to change a flat. Use a seatpost collar with a non-standard bolt. None of this will guarantee you'll be safe, but it helps improve the odds.

Remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, just the slowest person in your group.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I'd look for a touring bike from the 80s or 90s. I like my mid 80s Cannondale ST400/ST500s for all around use...
I love the Cannondale tourers as commuters. I had one I bought in '91 from Peter Mooney and loved that bike. It is a nice ride, doesn't rust, available for short money, and ugly enough that no one will want to steal it. Rattle can or sticker it up and you can make it even uglier. When mine was prematurely sent to live on a farm upstate when a 16 year old ran it over with her Toyota, I was sad. I replaced it with and IF Independence, which is a great bike, but I had no problems at all with the Cannondale and would still have it if I had taken a different route that day.

Any quality touring bike is a great answer for a commuter. I commute on my IF most of the time because I usually carry a laptop and a change of clothes in a pannier.

If I didn't need a laptop, I'd go for something like a Fierte with Revelate bag to carry clothes. They are cheap frames these days, get you upright like you should be commuting, and don't rust.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:36 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-28-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:46 PM

Swobo novak or fillmore

These are great riding steel bikes that put u in a great position fir traffic riding
Not to pricey they have the 8 speed disc Fillmore for 700
Old 10-18-2017, 02:30 PM

This is mine. It's an older Raleigh Port Townsand I picked up and pulled all the stuff I didn't like on it and dropped an Athena group I had around. It clears the GravelKings 32's with ease and the fenders fit too. Has all the eyelets for racks as well. Steel fork too! Been a super solid option for the commute to and from work.

Red pedals have been replaced too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3777.JPG (135.7 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Greenpea; 10-18-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Can't type or spell
Old 10-18-2017, 02:32 PM

Here's a Swobo in LA for a good price.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...351387572.html
Old 10-18-2017, 03:11 PM

An older cannondale cross perhaps?

I ride a flatbar conversion of an older caad cx bike when the weather wont allow me to ride anything nicer. Its actually real nice, esp for the money. Think i spent like 5-600 or so putting it together with okay parts. Nothing fancy but still dt 240 hubs even. Okay the wheels dont match and are but ugly but reliable!

It rides nice. Its not heavy. Its got the right braze ons. Even on the fork. Lights you can mount on handlebar and seatpost like 99% of us .) u dont need specifik attachment for those imo esp if you want cheap anyways.

Noone wants an old canti alu cross, they can be had for cheap!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cx.jpg (144.7 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 10-18-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
You don't mean Fierte as in Serotta Fierte ti, correct? Are there other Fiertes?
Yes, a Serotta Fierte. You can pick up a ti frame on ebay for under $800 these days. If you build it up with some budget parts from ebay, or from your parts bin, you can get yourself a nice ride for around $1,000.

I picked one up in the spring for my travel bike and like it. Its not as nice as my Legend, but it has been a great travel bike. Since i had enough parts in the bin, and some extra wheels, I was able to pull together a complete bike easily. It is a little shorter in the top tube, and I can get the bars up high, both of which I prefer for commuting in the city. Also, all ti, so no rust worries and it would be easy to mark up with some plastic tip or stickers if I wanted to make it ugly. The only drawback is that the rear spacing is little tight and I'd rather ride wider tires for commuting when possible. Right now I have GP4000 25s on it, which is good enough but not ideal. Throw a Revelate Pika on that bike and I have enough for my light commuting load.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:21 PM

Come by Bikerowave, we may not have quite the bike you're looking for but many of our members have stuff for sale. And when you do have the bike we'll be the best place to work on it! In Mar Vista, right by the corner of Centinela and Venice.

Cheap ti can be done if you know where to look. For some reason in the last couple of months it's been pretty dry. Over the early summer I was able to get half a dozen different ti bikes for around $500 each including shipping off ebay. Now you'd need to hit the $800+ range unless you get lucky. I recently shelled out $700 for a 58cm Dean with full 9spd ultegra, if I see something like that again I can point you to it. (I fix up and resell mostly ti bikes)
Old 11-03-2017, 05:27 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-28-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:31 PM

Unfortunately not much ti will have the eyelets, you'll have to use p-clamps.

Right as I say there haven't been any good deals https://www.ebay.com/itm/332435470844 gets posted...