Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2017, 12:51 AM

Thanks - sincerely appreciated. I'll definitely contact them. And thanks to everyone else commenting here - great info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
These are older rims. They might be only 2yrs from your purchase, but they switched them about 3 years ago. The finish of the rim is different. It's not glossy like that. That's a first generation rim. They did have some issues with them. I didn't. And neither did the 6 I built up. But a friend who owns a shop built up two sets and both had issues. WTB gave me 16 rims back when they were first coming out and had me build up some for testing. 4 went to buddy/shop owner. I built up a set for me, a set for a racer buddy and a set for a regular rider. Our 6 are still solid. One guy just used them to race Leadville-3rd time on them.

It's just a flukey thing. Call up WTB and they should take care of them. If they don't, let me know, I will handle it for you.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
The rims are two years old. I bought them new off Amazon if I recall correctly. Not sure what alloy to be honest...sounds like I should contact WTB to see if these rims came from that batch
Poor choice of aluminum alloy for the rim, perhaps a bit too much tension..very common on other rims like first gen mavic MA3..regardless of tension.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:50 PM

Update: Props to WTB. I sent them pics, and they are sending me two new rims (and rim tape!). All they needed was a screenshot of the invoice. I don't even need to send the old rims in. That's a super classy move and I'm now a big WTB fan...love their tires too.

I had already bought some 650B wheels here, so once I swap out the rims I'll have a set of 700c wheels too. Maybe I'll use one for slicks and another for a more rugged off road tire.

I've never built a wheel before, but I might try to swap out the rims myself. Any pointers?
Old 10-19-2017, 12:58 PM
|:||:|::|:||:|:

Quote:
I've never built a wheel before, but I might try to swap out the rims myself. Any pointers?
If the effective rim diameters of the old and new rims are the same, as others had mentioned you could tape the new rim beside the old one and move the spokes over. This is a nice way to get your feet wet because you don't have to be concerned with the lacing pattern as you are copying what was done previously. You should definitely get some nice new (brass!) nipples too
Old 10-19-2017, 01:22 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Update: Props to WTB. I sent them pics, and they are sending me two new rims (and rim tape!). All they needed was a screenshot of the invoice. I don't even need to send the old rims in. That's a super classy move and I'm now a big WTB fan...love their tires too.

I had already bought some 650B wheels here, so once I swap out the rims I'll have a set of 700c wheels too. Maybe I'll use one for slicks and another for a more rugged off road tire.

Yup, send them to me and let me build them. Building good wheels isn’t hard but can be difficult....
Old 10-19-2017, 03:17 PM

Pulled spokes

Seen cracked eyelets on old rims but never seen this level of damage.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:40 AM
Riding Along

Quote:

Quote:

Send them to Oldspud.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, send them to me and let me build them. Building good wheels isn’t hard but can be difficult....
I'll be in touch