Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2017, 06:36 PM

Bike Shop in Arlington Va.

Anyone have a rec. on a shop to shop my bike back to Chicago from D.C area? Staying in Arlington.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

There's a few, but the only one I've been in is Fresh Bikes

HTH

M
Old 10-01-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
There's a few, but the only one I've been in is Fresh Bikes

HTH

M
Thanks Gummee. You trust them to do a pro packing job?
Old 10-01-2017, 07:27 PM

Fresh Bikes would do a good job, they're positioned as a high end "pro-shop" and tri-geek store serving a high income area, so their prices will reflect that. Revolution bikes is a high end Trek store a few blocks away in Clarendon and another possibility. I can recommend my neighborhood shop in nearby Falls Church, Bikenetic, as a probably more reasonable (price-wise) alternative, and they're good guys (as in good mechanics) who would pack your baby well, and probably a good bit more friendly about it than Fresh Bikes IMO- I don't care for the atmosphere of that place, way too precious and chi-chi, I'm afraid to touch anything with a salesperson following you around the store, but I would trust them to pack your bike well. Bikenetic is a pleasant 25 min ride from Arlington straight out on the W&OD bike trail, and you could easily metro back to Arlington 1-3 stops depending on where you are staying in Arlington. There is also the Bicycle Pro Shop just at the end of the Key Bridge on the DC side of the river in Georgetown that could do it- you can ride across the bridge and walk back to Arlington- just next door is also a 2nd location for Revolution Bicycles- if you're staying in the Rosslyn Area both these would be very convenient.

Last edited by zennmotion; 10-01-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Fresh Bikes would do a good job, they're positioned as a high end "pro-shop" and tri-geek store serving a high income area, so their prices will reflect that. Revolution bikes is a high end Trek store a few blocks away in Clarendon and another possibility. I can recommend my neighborhood shop in nearby Falls Church, Bikenetic, as a probably more reasonable (price-wise) alternative, and they're good guys (as in good mechanics) who would pack your baby well, and probably a good bit more friendly about it than Fresh Bikes IMO- I don't care for the atmosphere of that place, way too precious and chi-chi, I'm afraid to touch anything with a salesperson following you around the store, but I would trust them to pack your bike well.
Thanks ZM

Good info.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Vendor

Fresh is awesome. And their stores are excellent. One of them has a seriously crazy build out.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Thanks ZM

Good info.
YW- but convenience depends on where you're staying- Arlington is kinda big especially without a car. There's a lot of hotels in Crystal City area, and if you're there Alexandria is close by- so over there I would recommend Spokes Etc Quaker Lane location, they're good folks as well, and sponsor some local teams (including my old one) Where are you staying?
Old 10-01-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
YW- but convenience depends on where you're staying- Arlington is kinda big especially without a car. There's a lot of hotels in Crystal City area, and if you're there Alexandria is close by- so over there I would recommend Spokes Etc Quaker Lane location, they're good folks as well, and sponsor some local teams (including my old one) Where are you staying?
Cheers.

Riding the GAP and C&O and I will be staying the night at a friends house in Arlington. Seems like Fresh is worth a look and still not much trouble for me or my friend.

TY
Old 10-01-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
Fresh is awesome. And their stores are excellent. One of them has a seriously crazy build out.
Thanks for the confirmation SG
Old 10-01-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Cheers.

Riding the GAP and C&O and I will be staying the night at a friends house in Arlington. Seems like Fresh is worth a look and still not much trouble for me or my friend.

TY
The C&O should be in good shape, it's been really dry for weeks now. Of course, I just jinxed it, sorry
Old 10-01-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
The C&O should be in good shape, it's been really dry for weeks now. Of course, I just jinxed it, sorry
We shall see tomorrow morning 😛
Old 10-02-2017, 07:14 AM

i'll 3rd the fresh bikes packing well however they do tend to be a bunch of pretentious a-holes.

at least the bethesda and merrifield locations.

never been to the arlington one.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post
i'll 3rd the fresh bikes packing well however they do tend to be a bunch of pretentious a-holes.

It's a company policy....
Old 10-02-2017, 08:07 AM

I personally like Conte's. They have been fair and good with me.....
Old 10-02-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post

Yeah, I noticed that in Merrifield, too. No matter. It closed.