Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2017, 05:58 PM

looking for inexpensive bright lights

Any recommendations. For the rear I had niterider cherry bomb. I loved it but it has stopped working - the on/off button doesn't always engage, shuts off on its own etc. For the front I have niterider swift 350 - USB-rechargeable, but doesn't hold a charge for very long and is supposed to have 4 levels of brightness but only 1 engages.

So, what are you all using - I don't want to break the bank but do want a decent brightness/lumens and dependability.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Vendor

I know I am kind of biased as I worked for them, but I really like my Lezyne lights. I have the kits which includes an extra battery in a cool waterproof case, extra mount and a helmet mount also.

Not horrible expensive, bright, decent run time and all self contained and the batteries are replaceable LIon.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Picshooter

Bontrager Flare R for the rear. I have had quite a few drivers comment on how bright it is.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
I know I am kind of biased as I worked for them, but I really like my Lezyne lights. I have the kits which includes an extra battery in a cool waterproof case, extra mount and a helmet mount also.

Not horrible expensive, bright, decent run time and all self contained and the batteries are replaceable LIon.

Any models better than others?
Old 09-30-2017, 07:34 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Any models better than others?
It depends on how much you want to spend and the run time/features.

For price and the 1100 for a headlight is good. Plenty of light and for the loaded box at $180 retail it's not horribly expensive.

for rear, I have the zecto auto. has an accelerometer in it so any movement turns it on. After a 5? minutes it shuts itself off. it has other settings too.
80lm

the strip drive is bright at 300 and is really slim/clean on a post or on a seattube.

the zecto also has a 250lm one.

There are some nice ones. I like them cause they are pretty solid, light, bright, waterproof and they take care of warranties pretty quickly.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
It depends on how much you want to spend and the run time/features.

For price and the 1100 for a headlight is good. Plenty of light and for the loaded box at $180 retail it's not horribly expensive.

for rear, I have the zecto auto. has an accelerometer in it so any movement turns it on. After a 5? minutes it shuts itself off. it has other settings too.
80lm

the strip drive is bright at 300 and is really slim/clean on a post or on a seattube.

the zecto also has a 250lm one.

There are some nice ones. I like them cause they are pretty solid, light, bright, waterproof and they take care of warranties pretty quickly.
Good info, thanks!
Old 10-01-2017, 06:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Any recommendations. For the rear I had niterider cherry bomb. I loved it but it has stopped working - the on/off button doesn't always engage, shuts off on its own etc. For the front I have niterider swift 350 - USB-rechargeable, but doesn't hold a charge for very long and is supposed to have 4 levels of brightness but only 1 engages.

So, what are you all using - I don't want to break the bank but do want a decent brightness/lumens and dependability.
I had been resisting the light during the day gig, until I got dusted off by a lady in a van, who said she didn't see me, "lo siento, no see"..got this, USB, way bright, easy on off, cheap.

https://www.blackburndesign.com/ligh...ear-light.html
Old 10-01-2017, 07:17 AM

I recently picked up a Cygolite Hot Shot 150 for my commuter and love it so far. Compact size, great mount, excellent battery life and really bright. Great as a daytime flasher that makes you super visible with that 150 lumen flash.
I picked mine up on sale for under 40 bucks at an REI sale.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:27 AM

I’ve been using a lezyne strip drive set for a little over a year now. They meet my needs quite well: 3-4 hour early morning ride means I usually get about 8 hours total, so two rides, before needing a charge, depending on the light mode used of course. They charge very quickly and hold a charge for a long time when unused. I haven’t had anyone tell me they’re bright like the old dinotte 140r light I used to use when I was commuter. I also use a cygolight head light when I ride in complete darkness. I believe it’s the 700 lumen it maybe 650...

Last edited by dustyrider; 10-01-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:46 AM
Everything is connected

I've been using the Ligh & Motion VIS 180 rear light and their Urban 350 front light for a few years now. USB rechargeable and about 6 hours with the front light on pulse and 5 hours with the rear light on pulse as well. I only ride during the day but I've tested both at dusk and at night and they are very visible. List price is $150 for the pair but they're always on sale for less.

http://www.lightandmotion.com/choose-your-light/vis-180
Old 10-01-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
I've been using the Ligh & Motion VIS 180 rear light and their Urban 350 front light for a few years now. USB rechargeable and about 6 hours with the front light on pulse and 5 hours with the rear light on pulse as well. I only ride during the day but I've tested both at dusk and at night and they are very visible. List price is $150 for the pair but they're always on sale for less.

http://www.lightandmotion.com/choose-your-light/vis-180
I use the L&M as well. I have been very pleased. I know budget is different for all of us but this is one area where it makes sense to me to spend a bit extra to get a really good, dependale, bright light. Being seen is as important as anything for all of us.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:08 AM

Cygolite and Niterider both make medium priced 150 lumen rear lights. The Cygolite has more different patterns, but both are great. Each is running about 7 hours before a recharge is needed.

I don't have a front light recommendation.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:37 AM

What's considered inexpensive?

I've had a Niterider 150 for the past year or so. Brightness is great, but the battery life was terrible. Too often, I'd finish my ride, go to turn off the light, and it was already off because the battery was drained. I primarily use the daylight flashing mode, which is something like 4.5 hours of runtime per charge.

I recently sold the Niterider and purchased a L&M Vis 180... Supposed to last 12 hours in daylight pulsing mode. It's more expensive, but hopefully worth the extra cost. TBD.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:13 PM

Get one with a lifetime warrantee. Blackburn just replaced my Flea with the new model. If my NR 350 gives up, I will only replace it with a USB light with a warrantee.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:46 PM

I have a NiteRider Lumina 750 for simple easy on/off front lighting. Compact, bright and easy to mount. For anything more serious I have a GloWorm that will turn a deep dark forest into daylight. The rear I run a Cycqlic (camera and light). I've had good luck with Cygolite in the past. Great lumen per $$ ratio and service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk