Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2017, 11:47 AM

Klein Quantum Race - 1" steerer Question

Hey Guy's,

I'm looking at a early 2000 Klein Quantum Race with a 1" steerer. Good condition and a nice price, but never had a 1" threadless steerer (always 1 1/8" or taperer). It's going to be a nice commuter and/or winter bike, but are 1" steerer bikes still easy to source parts for, etc? Any issues with lack of stiffness?

Anyone have or had this bike to comment on how it rides, etc?

thanks,

Bill
Old 09-29-2017, 12:04 PM
Vendor

There are still 1" fork being made in threadless and threaded. And you can always get adaptors to make it 1 1/8" threadless with a shim or even make it threadless with a quill adaptor.

Headsets are still available also. King still makes them in tons of colors.

Yeah, no issues getting a 1" forked bike.

I never owned one but sold them back when it was Klein and then Trek Klein. This is a Trek Klein since they were bought in 1996. I rode a Klein Klein way back when. Nice bike. The geometry was off for me and I didn't want a custom since I had other bikes.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:24 PM

As sales guy says, 1" forks are still being made. However, they are available in far fewer varieties than 1 1/8" and tapered forks. Most of the 1" forks available today are low cost steel forks - very few carbon forks are still available with 1" steerers. But, there are plenty of 1" headets still available, at every point on the cost & quality scales.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:44 PM
Vendor

Sorry, should've been more clear- 1" carbon forks with steel or alloy steerer tubes are around. Steel are super common. You can find them at Performance or Nashbar. You can find carbon steerer tubed ones on ebay. sometimes brand new.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:50 PM

Thanks Guy's!
Old 09-29-2017, 01:15 PM

I have the Nashbar threadless fork on a Serotta Concours. No problems with it. It appears to be the same fork as a Winwood.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:24 PM

In my recent experience building up an older frame, the fork and headset weren't a problem. For this bike a Nashbar fork was fine. Headsets are available. The problem I had was coming up with a decent stem for not much money. Your mileage and budget may vary so I can't say it's a problem, but it will cost more or require more searching or lower standards if you want to avoid shimming a 1-1/8" stem.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:29 PM
Two wheels good

Every week I still ride a Klein Quantum Race with a 1" fork. It has over 40Kmiles on it and maybe a hundred races. It spent the first part of it's life with the stock Klein carbon blade/steel crown 1" fork (surprisingly heavy) but I replaced it a decade or more ago with a 1" Easton SLX fork with a carbon steering tube and carbon dropouts (very, very light).

I had a Chris King 1" headset in it for 15 years but recently went to a Ritchey WCS headset which is almost 1/3 the price of the CK. It seems to be working fine.

I've been using Ritchey WCS stems with the provided shim. They work perfectly.