Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2017, 09:52 AM

Recommend me a Builder: Calling all 650b, low-trail Paceliners

Hey all,

Long time lurker here and recently joined up to get y'alls advice. My beloved 1973 Raleigh Competition that I had modified into a 650b low-trail randonneur recently got totaled when I got hit by a Mastiff dog on a ride. I'm currently in the middle of the small claims process to get some money from the dog owners to replace the bike. I'm hoping to replace it with a very nice 650b low-trail randonneur with integrated lighting, fenders and front racks. I want someone with a bit of experience obviously and hopefully a wait time less than a year (I know that's a tall order). I have curated my own short list of builders to look into and have sent off emails to almost all of these fine folks:

Jeff Lyon
Chapman Cycles
Map Cycles
Ebisu
Winter Bicycles

Am I missing anyone? If y'all were/have to commission/ed a builder to make that sort of bike who would you go to?
Thanks much for your advice!
Old 09-28-2017, 09:57 AM

All great choices, but I'll add: http://coastcycles.nyc/#frames.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:26 AM

Royal H (Boston)
Thompson (Olympia)
Hanford (Philly)

Check out the builder list for Boston Builder's Ball, and exhibitor list for Philly Bike Expo which is put on by Bilenky. Real excited for PBE. See any of you there?
Old 09-28-2017, 10:29 AM

Take a look at Steve Rex: http://www.rexcycles.com/

His Instagram has more recent builds.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:39 AM

333fab airlandsea model looks to fit those specs.

http://333fab.com/airlandsea/
Old 09-28-2017, 10:43 AM

Great tips so far everyone thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajaye View Post
Royal H (Boston)
Thompson (Olympia)
Hanford (Philly)

Check out the builder list for Boston Builder's Ball, and exhibitor list for Philly Bike Expo which is put on by Bilenky. Real excited for PBE. See any of you there?
I was wondering about Thompson.... He seems to do great work—a true constructuer. Anyone here have any closer familiarity with his work, i.e. ever ride or own one?
Old 09-28-2017, 10:49 AM

It's my understanding that Lyon is taking orders right now or there is otherwise a long wait, but you would find that out if you pursued him.

You have a great list. There are even more options out there, some with shorter wait times that will cost less if this is an issue. That's not to say what you would pay any of those builders isn't worth every penny.

John at Fitz Cyclez (Santa Rosa) built mine.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
It's my understanding that Lyon is taking orders right now or there is otherwise a long wait, but you would find that out if you pursued him.

You have a great list. There are even more options out there, some with shorter wait times that will cost less if this is an issue. That's not to say what you would pay any of those builders isn't worth every penny.

John at Fitz Cyclez (Santa Rosa) built mine.
How do you like your Fitz Colonel? How was the process, communication, etc.? I've heard good things from the 650b google group... Seems like there's a bunch of those cats getting Fitz bikes.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcha View Post
333fab airlandsea model looks to fit those specs.

http://333fab.com/airlandsea/
You have to be cool with 1X (36t max) only. That's a little limiting. Better have an XD freehub.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:20 AM

I think Chapman Cycles is over a year right now, maybe 1.5 years or something. I would recommend him, he prefers "mid trail" but will build you something low trail.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I think Chapman Cycles is over a year right now, maybe 1.5 years or something. I would recommend him, he prefers "mid trail" but will build you something low trail.
Yeah when I emailed him he said 18 months out which I don't love the idea of. Super nice, communicative and helpful though. He even gave me an invoice quote from a past similar build that I'm going to take to court with the dog owners to get my replacement money...
Old 09-28-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicipunk View Post
How do you like your Fitz Colonel? How was the process, communication, etc.? I've heard good things from the 650b google group... Seems like there's a bunch of those cats getting Fitz bikes.
I am happy. It was my first custom. You can shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions. I'm leaving in the morning for four days in the woods on it, though.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:28 AM

Not sure of his trail preferences or current lead time, but Curt Goodrich.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicipunk View Post
Hey all,

Long time lurker here and recently joined up to get y'alls advice. My beloved 1973 Raleigh Competition that I had modified into a 650b low-trail randonneur recently got totaled when I got hit by a Mastiff dog on a ride. I'm currently in the middle of the small claims process to get some money from the dog owners to replace the bike. I'm hoping to replace it with a very nice 650b low-trail randonneur with integrated lighting, fenders and front racks. I want someone with a bit of experience obviously and hopefully a wait time less than a year (I know that's a tall order). I have curated my own short list of builders to look into and have sent off emails to almost all of these fine folks:

Jeff Lyon
Chapman Cycles
Map Cycles
Ebisu
Winter Bicycles

Am I missing anyone? If y'all were/have to commission/ed a builder to make that sort of bike who would you go to?
Thanks much for your advice!
Mark Nobilette or Richard Schwinn both have made Rando bikes for BoulderBicycle/Rene Herse
Old 09-28-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Mark Nobilette or Richard Schwinn both have made Rando bikes for BoulderBicycle/Rene Herse
I wonder if waterford could whip up a descent 650b rando bike ? I haven't seen one (that wasn't built for some other brand). Could be an interesting option.