Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 07:09 PM

it's a 2002 model based on the serial number

This would have the original geometry and 1" steerer. 2002 was the first year they used stainless drops according to this: http://gunnarbikes.com/site/support/gunnar-history/

I don't think I posted the original listing but its here: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...272918954.html

I negotiated down to $675 with a few extra throw ins but still haven't made it by to check out the bike.

I'm also just debating getting a new frame/bike. Through my work, I can get up to 50% subsidy on bikes/parts ($500 max, so can spend up to a $1000). Generally looking for a good steel commuter that I can put fenders and rack on.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:42 PM

So, with XTR rear derailer it can handle up to 34 tooth cogs, right?
Old 08-21-2017, 09:08 PM

If it fits, buy it. Don't worry about a carbon fork or discs.

Compact crank or bigger cassette if you need it - but the shift group will be great.

Paint matched stem is sweet.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:21 PM

That's a sweet deal on a cool bike. I don't need it but if I lived locally I'd probably buy it just because you're not likely to stumble across another one for that price (especially with the painted-to-match stem).
Old 08-21-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpayne View Post
This would have the original geometry and 1" steerer. 2002 was the first year they used stainless drops according to this: http://gunnarbikes.com/site/support/gunnar-history/

I don't think I posted the original listing but its here: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...272918954.html

I negotiated down to $675 with a few extra throw ins but still haven't made it by to check out the bike.

I'm also just debating getting a new frame/bike. Through my work, I can get up to 50% subsidy on bikes/parts ($500 max, so can spend up to a $1000). Generally looking for a good steel commuter that I can put fenders and rack on.
Looks like I was WAY off about stainless drops. I thought they were a mid 2000s change.

For commuting, a CXhairs is plenty capable IMO. It's got the right braze ons and the right handling. It will not really slow you down in a race, if you should decide to do one, unless it's a pretty technical one and you're a skilled rider. If you're content with cantis or mini-Vs, then IMO a 1" steerer is no limitation. However, on mine, the rack stay interfered with the rear mini V cable. Check if this is a limitation for you.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I checked out the gunnar last night and it was a bit more scuffed than I thought. The matching stem unfortunately had some rust (and was a bit too long) so that would have to go.

As weiwentg mentoned, it looked like the rear mini v would interrupt with a rack so that would also need to be fixed.

It was definitely a fun bike to ride. I may check it out again this weekend if still available and see if I can get the price down closer to $600. I also need to look at it in daylight, was hard to judge the frame quality at dusk ...
Old 08-23-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpayne View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I checked out the gunnar last night and it was a bit more scuffed than I thought. The matching stem unfortunately had some rust (and was a bit too long) so that would have to go.

As weiwentg mentoned, it looked like the rear mini v would interrupt with a rack so that would also need to be fixed.

It was definitely a fun bike to ride. I may check it out again this weekend if still available and see if I can get the price down closer to $600. I also need to look at it in daylight, was hard to judge the frame quality at dusk ...
About those scuffs, I got a quote from a Minneapolis powder coater who said he could do powder coats plus decals starting at $165 for single colors. One need not spend $400 for a fresh wet paint job at Gunnar. I know you're in DC, but there may be similarly low-cost powder coaters available close to you.

For the rear mini V, I only ran mini Vs because my stem interferes with the cable routing. Common problem on small frames, I believe. I could easily switch back to a rear cantilever brake, and that would eliminate the interference with the rack stays. That said, your use probably will differ from mine.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:18 AM

I had a crosshairs with a gunnar unicrown steel fork. It was a good bike that I used in the winter with fenders for a few seasons before racing some cx on it until I bought a used sachs cx.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:24 AM

def will consider that down the road if I get the bike. Does a headset need to be removed before a powder-coat is applied?