Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 07:57 PM

Take Benadryl- Chew and break open the Benadryl capsule on your lip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
So hopefully I've gotten this stuff out of my system.

I've been joking my All City Space Horse is cursed lately.

- Did an overhaul a few weeks ago. Not a lot of mile son the cassette so I tried to get away without replacing it
- Nope, the chain skipped when jumping/applying a lot of power
- Go get a new cassette
- Break a spoke on the next ride. Take the wheel apart, get poison ivy on my hand, I must have run over something and gotten the oil on my tire.
- LBS fixes the spoke on the spot (awesome!)

Bike is finally perfect again, I go out and am having an awesome ride yesterday. Feeling great, position on the bike is flawless, weather is perfect, just awesome ride.

3 miles from home or so I hop on a dirt trail that heads towards home. There is a woman walking her dog up ahead and the trail is super narrow single track.

She steps into the woods with the dog to let me pass.. and I think her dog must have kicked up a bee/wasp/hornet nest.

BAM I get stung on the lip. Not sure, it might have got me 2-3X, REALLY painful and radiating into my teeth and everything. I didn't actually see what got me, I didn't stop till I got home.

I am really resistant to bee/wasp stings but not so much on the lip. I've gotten stung many times riding, if I get one in my helmet and it stings the top of my head it hurts but doesn't even swell. Same thing with arm, face, etc.. it hurts like hell and 5 minutes later I can't even tell I was stung. Not even a mark.

But my lip blew up like I got punched. Still a little swollen today. Awful lot of ice yesterday.

I've been stung so many times I shouldn't worry but I'm still paranoid as my mother is one of those people who goes into anaphylactic shock if she gets stung.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:48 AM

I've had 1 honey bee and 1 wasp stuck in my helmet on separate occasions, over the years, but no stings and they both lived.

But I agree, ride enough miles in warm weather and that will likely happen.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:20 PM

I've been seeing black bears along my mtb trails lately, makes me wonder what else might pop up and surprise me.
If I wanted to I could worry about a lot of stuff, and haven't got stung by a bee since my MC got registered as non-op.

Mowing the "lawn "out back, there are ant hives with large populations of ants so athletic that by the time you realize that you are over one there are more than fifty of them running all over your clothes, top to bottom.
I think these ants live in the rotted root balls of long-dead bushes, since this area used to be just a field, not a lawn.
Funny thing is they are super-fast and good-sized ants but never sting, and after jumping around for 20 seconds every last one is off of me.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:44 PM

FWIW I was totally fine when I woke up tuesday morning. My lip was still visibly swollen on that side if you looked really carefully but I couldn't feel it.

Totally fine today.

I normally never get to ride on Tuesday and plan it as my off day, I should have rode Monday but ended up skipping partly cause my face was swollen but mostly a mental thing.

I'm trying to sneak out today to ride.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:30 PM

I got stung twice last week. One on an MTB ride, got me on the leg. Burned all day and then itched like crazy. Then on the road five days later. Got in my helmet and nailed me on the forehead. Not near as painful as the other.