Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2017, 09:30 PM

Ideale Model 90

Sometime last fall I became aware that the Ideale Model 90 saddle was scheduled to be reintroduced. My introduction to Ideale occurred over 40 years ago when my Motobecane came equipped with a Model 80 saddle. I was seldom separated from that machine for several years, and it was my companion when I began my foray into competitive cycling. I put a lot of kilometers on that saddle.

I recently took delivery of a new Model 90 that I purchased from Cycles Victoire in France. It is one of only four that have been shipped to the states. When I opened the box I was overwhelmed by the aroma of the leather. It was as I remembered about my old 80. It is very distinct and pleasing aroma. The leather and framework also has the feel of a highly crafted luxury item. Everything was well finished. I did not procrastinate when it was time to mount it.

I only have a couple hundred kilometers on it currently. At this time I can only offer that it works seamlessly with my backside. It will be interesting to see how it continues to evolve when it breaks in after additional kilometers. So far so good. It is 260 X 150 and not much different than a Regal or Rolls. I will try to update after additional kilometers. I should add that it is available in black as pictured, or honey like a Brooks. It is also available with two leather densities. For cyclists who weigh more that 75 kilos, the leather is slightly thicker. I weigh over the 75 kilo threshold, and specified the thicker leather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ideale 1.jpg (131.4 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg ideale 2.jpg (119.1 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg ideale 3.jpg (122.4 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg ideale 4.jpg (130.1 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg ideale 5.jpg (131.6 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg ideale 6.jpg (121.0 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by merckx; 08-03-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:32 AM

It looks great. It does me a lot of good to know that the brand has been revived and that they have gone to such great lengths to make the product faithful to the original.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Glad to see what appears to be a faithful reproduction. Maybe they'll also do the alloy-frame model.

Some years back, I bought a new-production Ideale 80 with the "rodee main selon Rebours"(*) inscription, but the leather was dry as a bone and rock hard - FAKE NEWS! knock-off...

(*) translates "hand-worked according to Rebours", as best my French allows. Originals arrived sort of "greasy" with leather treatment, and I seem to recall the treatment involved removing the leather from the frame for hand- and "secret sauce"- softening, per a Daniel Rebours technique.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 AM

My saddle arrived with pre-treated leather. You can see the oily sheen in the pic that captures the underside of the saddle. This saddle is very high quality. During my correspondence with Cycles Victoire, I enquired about the potential for the Model 92 "Diagonal" to become available. The 92 is more akin to a B17, and perhaps more suitable for touring. It appears not any time soon. I assume that they are testing the waters with the 90 first. A reasonable strategy for an admittedly esoteric product. I suspect that an alloy railed Model 90 is also not an immanent release.

Last edited by merckx; 08-04-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:08 AM

I'm in for one of these.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have been riding Ideales for decades and I have one on my Hollands atm.

They aren't shaped exactly the same, but I find Regals and Ideales interchangeable.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:20 AM

Cool that it's done with the Rebour stamp; not all 90's originally had them and the quality was a bit better on ones with the stamp. And it looks to be a very faithful reproduction, in shape and quality. I had a couple, many long years ago, and they were the best leather saddles I ever had and in very hot weather and old wool shorts kept saddle sores away better than anything including any of the plastic saddles at the time. It's great to see all the vintage stuff getting a second life, with Eroicas and other events popularizing the older designs. Wouldn't it be nice if Campy came out with a really accurate high quality reproduction of the old Nuovo Record? Damn.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:57 PM

Linky

http://www.victoire-cycles.com/en/ne...e-saddles.html

250 euro.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austex View Post
Thank you for including the link. I was remiss not to add it to my original post. Ordering was very easy. I paid via PayPal. All of my questions were answered promptly via e-mail. If you are interested in ordering I would do so without reservation.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:08 PM

My 42 year old Ideale Model 80 that my 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubilee was equipped with has been fastened to my beach and wine shop raid machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ideale 80.JPG (142.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg ideale 80 4.JPG (126.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg ideale 80 6.JPG (118.4 KB, 85 views)
Old 08-23-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
My 42 year old Ideale Model 80 that my 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubilee was equipped with has been fastened to my beach and wine shop raid machine.
The HORROR! you expose your leather saddle to rain?
Old 08-23-2017, 07:10 PM

Neato! I didn't know they were doing this.

I had a 90 and a wider 92 Diagonale. Both were old and ill-maintained, so 90 was an ass-hatchet that I ended up punching a cut-out into (and then gave away), and the leather on the 92 was disintegrating and staining my backside (also gave that away for display-only purposes).

I hope they have redesigned the through-bolt plate arrangement on the nose of the frame - that was always a bit janky.

KJ