Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
No science to back this up but I *suspect* the volatile organic compounds escape the cap if a void is left at the top. Seriously, a guy showed me this 30 years ago and I've never had a dry tube. Obviously it is important to protect the little glue tube in the little plastic box so as not to puncture or fatigue the metal with other tools, etc.

1. puncture/check glue tube if you doubt contents (old/evap/off brand/?).
1.5 buy rema glue tubes. They're slightly longer than those found in a kit.
2. file/sand the plastic cap length a few mm to fit green box.
3. squeeze glue from bottom of tube and pinch metal *flat*.
4. after spreading glue, hold tube upright and squeeze glue to rim of opening.
5. bubbles slowly move to opening. break them w/cap. Repeat as nec.
6. replace cap right on top of glue at opening.
7. never worry again.

I patch at roadside since I'm already taking things apart and an unfixable puncture could be around the next corner...plus, I have no SAG until I learn how to use Uber (some day).

I'm going to deeper rims on 3 bikes so I've just had to buy tubes w/longer valve stems. Basic mountain tubes were $8/each and nice, butyl road tubes were $11 each. Chucking tubes seems wasteful to me.

I work with petroleum-derived VOCs for a living, and there is science to back this up. No headspace for VOCs to evaporate into, then kinetics favor remaining in the glue solution. Over a very long time the cap isn't a perfect seal and it's easy to puncture/crease the metal tube, but the less headspace the slower that process will be.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
So how big is everyone's "I'll patch that tube when I have time" pile? I've got to have 25-30 tubes in mine which goes back at least 5 years.
I recently moved and had to force myself to throw away my stack. The moment I realized I was packing a box with punctured tubes was the moment I realized that was no way to live.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:19 PM
Vendor

I've had unopened tubes evaporate. I carry a spare tube and those glueless patch kits. I've had some glueless ones fail, but that was after a very long time.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Embracing my

I've talked myself into cutting the valves out of punctured tubes and just using the old tubes as bungee cords....
Old 10-19-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
So how big is everyone's "I'll patch that tube when I have time" pile? I've got to have 25-30 tubes in mine which goes back at least 5 years.
Unless I'm riding with someone or am very pressed for time, I try to patch a punctured tube immediately by the side of the road. It only takes another 3 or 4 minutes, if I can easily find the hole. The spare tubes that I carry all have already been patched at some point.

Throwing out a patchable punctured tube is to me like flushing $5 down the toilet.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red

Throwing out a patchable punctured tube is to me like flushing $5 down the toilet.
I know. That's why I've got so many saved.

I really should do like 3 a night until their done. I could probably not buy tubes for several seasons if I patched all the usable ones.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckroast View Post
I've talked myself into cutting the valves out of punctured tubes and just using the old tubes as bungee cords....
Ha, almost all of my recent tube failures have been stems pulling out of the tube... I have plenty of bungee cords, and ample stick for 1" rubber bands.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:53 AM

Confirmed.

Jaybee, thanks for the inside info.

I should have been more clear in that **I had no science** to back it up.

I love it when somebody, somewhere has studied a thing!
Old 10-20-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Unless I'm riding with someone or am very pressed for time, I try to patch a punctured tube immediately by the side of the road. It only takes another 3 or 4 minutes, if I can easily find the hole. The spare tubes that I carry all have already been patched at some point.
I do just the opposite - I first go to spare tubes, and then resort to patching if I get more flats than spares. The reason is the exact subject we are discussing - that glue tends to evaporate out of opened tubes. An unopened tube is more likely to still be good if and when actually needed, whereas a tube opened for patching the first flat may have evaporated by the time I get the next flat.