Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Classics Fan

Tube of vulcanizing solution empty when I needed it

Had a flat today, went to my patch kit, pierced the vulcanizing solution tube and .... nothing but air.

Do these things have an expiration date due to drying out or did I get a defective one? It was given out at some event I was at, as opposed to being a Park branded version that I bought -- so it doesn't seem unrealistic to imagine it was surplus from the 90's that someone donated just to get rid of it.

Anyway, if you still carry vulcanizing patch kits, might be worth checking that they're still good.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:40 PM

If it was used before, and not last week, you're SOL. How long since you've fixed a flat with that repair kit?

Edit: Re-read the OP. I've been given a dozen or more old school Zefal tubular repair kits through the years. Not one has had a tube of glue that was not empty, and still sealed. VOCs..

Last edited by pbarry; 06-10-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:55 PM

I gave up on patching tubes in the field probably 30 years ago for that same reason. I always carry 2 tubes and I might patch a punctured tube when I get home. Depends on the puncture.
Tim
Old 06-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timdog View Post
I gave up on patching tubes in the field probably 30 years ago for that same reason. I always carry 2 tubes and I might patch a punctured tube when I get home. Depends on the puncture.
Tim
^^ This

Patching on the road is a last resort for me. I might 'start out' on a patched tube, but I always carry 2 new tubes.

Mike in AR
Old 06-10-2017, 10:03 PM

Same here. I recently went through my saddle bags and found the same issue... empty glue tubes. I bought more from the LBS along with a glueless kit just in case the glue evaporates before I use it.

When I flat, I usually just replace the tube and patch the tube at home. I still like to have a patch kit on me just in case I flat more than once.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Classics Fan

Previously, I have done the same. Go to a new tube first, patch as a second option. I also carry a mini-pump as primary inflation method, but have co2 in case I need to get inflated fast (ie. find myself in a dangerous location, or getting dark, etc.)

I've recently thought that the patching might be a better first method, as it maintains the pristine tube for when you really need it. If it can be patched, then no sense using a new tube.

So I did have a tube as back up, but I may revert to my old thinking in the future.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Not one has had a tube of glue that was not empty, and still sealed...
Each time I reread this sentence I come to a different conclusion.

And yes, the glue simply dries out over time even in sealed tubes. It is a conundrum: I want a patch kit for that rare occasion that I need to fix a tube on the road---when I do, the patch kit is ineffective.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:17 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I've also been burned by those old-style patch kits, so I don't even bother to carry them on the bike.

First thing I do is swap out the old tube for a new one. (Be sure to find the bit of wire, glass, nail, whatever, that caused the puncture and remove it, otherwise you're wasting a new tube.) I also carry a few self-adhesive patches, but that's only for emergency use if I happen get a second flat on the same ride, because most of the time I've found that they can't hold air for more than a day or so. So far (knock on wood) I've never gotten two flats on the same ride.

When I get home I add the punctured tube to my pile of "maybe some day I may try to patch these, but right now I don't have the time to mess with that" tubes, and I put a new tube in my saddle bag.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:20 PM

Timely, I was fixing a tube at home last night, opened the tube of glue that had been used maybe 3-4 times in past few months and empty.
I usually patch tubes and have had luck keeping open tubes around for many months, usually use them up before they dry up.
Needing more glue I dug through my stash and found a kit that I picked up when I picked up a bunch of them at a local shop went out of business, in 1999. It still had liquid in it, although viscosity definitely a bit higher. Basic Bicycle Products is the manufacturer, shop badged kit.

I suspect the integrity/quality of the tube when manufactured would contribute to the longevity. Definitely was surprised to see this one had anything liquid left!
Oh, it also spent a few years in my non-climate controlled garage, in Phoenix, AZ.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:43 PM
Member?

http://www.parktool.com/product/super-patch-kit-gp-2
Old 06-11-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
This

And one spare tube.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
This

And one spare tube.

Same here. Except I carry two tubes. These Park glueless patches have improved since they were introduced many years ago. The patches seem more pliable and less likely to bubble up. I've had some failures but some successes as well.

I've also wedged a Park tire boot into the patch kit. 5 grams of feel good insurance.

I still prefer the vulcanizing patches for long term repairs but if these hold air I keep on keeping on with a Park patch.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:51 AM

Yep, the little glue tubes
dry out.

I replace all my patch kits at the start of the season for this reason. Agree with approach replace with new tube first, patch second.

For home use, get a can of vulcanizing cement from auto parts store. Lifetime supply for a few bucks
Old 06-11-2017, 09:02 AM

Murphy's law. When you are not ready to fix a flat, you will get another one.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Previously, I have done the same. Go to a new tube first, patch as a second option. I also carry a mini-pump as primary inflation method, but have co2 in case I need to get inflated fast (ie. find myself in a dangerous location, or getting dark, etc.)

I've recently thought that the patching might be a better first method, as it maintains the pristine tube for when you really need it. If it can be patched, then no sense using a new tube.

So I did have a tube as back up, but I may revert to my old thinking in the future.
Patching to maintain a pristine tube? For what? They cost...what...$5? Especially in a situation where time/safety/darkness is the main concern, all the more reason to just pop a new tube in there and get on home. The old thinking needs to stay the old thinking, IMO...